Working from Home

Bubbles

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you don't disclose something on your medical questionnaire then you are leaving yourself open to be dismissed if it is then found out later that you didn't disclose am afraid. 

Honesty is always the best policy. As another poster stated you cannot be discriminated against and the company has to make reasonable adjustments for any disability you may have.

My nephew didn’t get let in the RAF cos he ticked a box. And was later told he could have just as easily jot ticked it. he was only apply in my for a desk job, he wasn’t after trying fly a jet. 

besides b4 is only looking for a job til the cinemas open. By the time anyone finds out enough to care about his nerve damage, he’ll be able to go back to his other job. 

he can probably get double bubble too. Work at a super market while also getting 80% wage from the cinema. 

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you don't disclose something on your medical questionnaire then you are leaving yourself open to be dismissed if it is then found out later that you didn't disclose am afraid. 

Honesty is always the best policy. As another poster stated you cannot be discriminated against and the company has to make reasonable adjustments for any disability you may have.

In my recent experience I have only had to disclose once a job offer has been made, which I am happy to do so. As you say re discrimination,  Once a job offer has been made the company cannot reverse their job offer unless the medical condition would affect their ability to do the job.

I am sure B4 is right though that discrimination does take place, for a multitude of reasons.

28 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Work at a super market while also getting 80% wage from the cinema. 

I don't think it works like that. My understanding of it is that if you work for someone else then you are not eligible for the 80%

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, rynny said:

I don't think it works like that. My understanding of it is that if you work for someone else then you are not eligible for the 80%

I thought that....does make you wonder what the incentive will be for people to work?

9 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I seen and witness first hand I know it happens so for I got to see when this 80 percent of my wages.

Thankfully I think you still live with your parents, you’re one of the luckier ones mate, just ride it out.  There’s some people who are self employed and don’t get anywhere near 80% of their wages.

We can beat this if we stick to the rules.

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I thought that....does make you wonder what the incentive will be for people to work?

I think that's the point though. People shouldn't be working unless it's really necessary. I have been put on 70% of my wage. I'm lucky in that I don't have a mortgage to pay and as I can't go out I can't spend. If people are told that their job isn't a priority and that they should go home and self isolate/distance what is the point in them finding another job?

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I think that's the point though. People shouldn't be working unless it's really necessary. I have been put on 70% of my wage. I'm lucky in that I don't have a mortgage to pay and as I can't go out I can't spend. If people are told that their job isn't a priority and that they should go home and self isolate/distance what is the point in them finding another job?

True yes. I know my mate has applied to tesco for delivery work while he is off but he is self employed.

I've been doing it for a week now, and starting to get in the groove.  First couple of days I tried staying in the front room, mainly because my work needed me to plug my desk phone directly into my router, so I could take calls.  That lasted two days cus it was destroying my back lent over to reach the laptop.  I've now retreated to the kitchen table and it's a lot better.  Works still coming in, so I can stay busy, and even if i have a lag, I've got Dave or Quest on in the background to gorm at for 10 minutes or so.  And failing that, I have the lad to educate, and the dog to disturb me.  Relaxation is not an option...

I'm currently working from home but will be furloughed in the next week or so. A large part of our company's income comes from Government R&D grants, and after last night's announcement, we won't have any technical people working on project delivery = massively lower income for the next couple of months at least. The rest of our revenue comes from R&D consultancy for other companies - who clearly are in purely survival mode at the moment.

80% salary up to £2,500 gross, will be quite a pay cut but I know how lucky I am. It's far better than 100% of nothing, which many people are looking at.

At least if we can't go out, we won't be spending anywhere near as much as we would normally.

10 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I've been doing it for a week now, and starting to get in the groove.  First couple of days I tried staying in the front room, mainly because my work needed me to plug my desk phone directly into my router, so I could take calls.  That lasted two days cus it was destroying my back lent over to reach the laptop.  I've now retreated to the kitchen table and it's a lot better.  Works still coming in, so I can stay busy, and even if i have a lag, I've got Dave or Quest on in the background to gorm at for 10 minutes or so.  And failing that, I have the lad to educate, and the dog to disturb me.  Relaxation is not an option...

I don't think I have seen it mentioned here but your post made me think and it is (fairly) obvious watch out for home chairs.  Because I have been doing this for years I got a proper office chair at home but sometimes happen to work at the kitchen table for instance. It is easy to have a bad seating position on a non office chair which will invariably lead to bad back. I would not be surprised if chiropractors/physios get very busy in a few weeks time. Walk around every 30 mins or so, helps a lot.

I've worked from home around 90% of the time for the past 3 years, and you do get used to it. The main thing is to not beat yoursefl up about taking time to do a bit of something else around the house (hang some washing out, a bit of ironing, prepare some tea for later etc)- it's these things that keep you sane. In fact, when I do go into the office you realise me how much time people actually spend NOT working, just chatting, eating, having a wander around. The guys in the next cell to me spend at least 50% of the day talking about computer games

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

My nephew didn’t get let in the RAF cos he ticked a box. And was later told he could have just as easily jot ticked it. he was only apply in my for a desk job, he wasn’t after trying fly a jet. 

besides b4 is only looking for a job til the cinemas open. By the time anyone finds out enough to care about his nerve damage, he’ll be able to go back to his other job. 

he can probably get double bubble too. Work at a super market while also getting 80% wage from the cinema. 

Am sorry to hear about your nephew, I was just conveying the point that there is always a risk if you knowingly conceal information on a job application or company medical questionnaire and you're found out about it at a further juncture 

In B4s case the risk is probably slight but he still needs to be aware of the potential repurcussions if he is found out 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

In my recent experience I have only had to disclose once a job offer has been made, which I am happy to do so. As you say re discrimination,  Once a job offer has been made the company cannot reverse their job offer unless the medical condition would affect their ability to do the job.

I am sure B4 is right though that discrimination does take place, for a multitude of reasons.

I'm sure covert discrimination does take place still.

You're not totally correct about the job offer though, if the job offer is unconditional then yes the company cannot reverse it without recourse but if the job offer is conditional on either satisfactory references etc then the offer can be rescinded without any recourse from the person being offered the job if the conditions aren't satisfied 

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sorry to hear about your nephew, I was just conveying the point that there is always a risk if you knowingly conceal information on a job application or company medical questionnaire and you're found out about it at a further juncture 

In B4s case the risk is probably slight but he still needs to be aware of the potential repurcussions if he is found out 

Mrs R is currently facing a big dilemma.  She suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and neglected to mention to her current employers about it.  At the moment she doesn't want to take her biologic medicine as it lowers her ( already low) immunity, but it will get to the point where she'll have to or she won't be able to walk, and therefore work.

Of course the above issue wouldn't be one if they decided she should work from home or pay her whilst we're on lock down.  I mean, who the hell wants to think about buying a new build at a time like this?!?!?!??!?!?!!!  

34 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I don't think I have seen it mentioned here but your post made me think and it is (fairly) obvious watch out for home chairs.  Because I have been doing this for years I got a proper office chair at home but sometimes happen to work at the kitchen table for instance. It is easy to have a bad seating position on a non office chair which will invariably lead to bad back. I would not be surprised if chiropractors/physios get very busy in a few weeks time. Walk around every 30 mins or so, helps a lot.

I'm pretty lucky as the chairs at the table are roughly the same height I have it at work.  Worst come to the worst I'll grab the office chair I've got in the spare room.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm sure covert discrimination does take place still.

You're not totally correct about the job offer though, if the job offer is unconditional then yes the company cannot reverse it without recourse but if the job offer is conditional on either satisfactory references etc then the offer can be rescinded without any recourse from the person being offered the job if the conditions aren't satisfied 

Of course yes if your references don't stack up, and yes if there was a valid medical reason you can't do the job then i agree. They can't just decide not to because they arrive at the conclusion you may need to have time off work now and then through the condition.

Archived