Working from Home

Bubbles

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can work out the way of other people (in an  home office) do so.
If you can work out the way of distractions (TV) do so.

If you have a dog schedule in a walk on your lunch and maybe a 5 minute play every couple of hours ? works for me

My dog gets me up early, with the light most mornings so I'm out walking him at 6am lol. On the bright side I'm back at home and working by 7am - have some breakfast around 9ish, lunch at 1pm then I'm done for the day!  

It was tricky at first working from home at first, you really have to set yourself a goal and stick to it not be tempted to put the TV on in the background (unless its deadline day!) and focus on your work - coming up with a routine for you and having the willpower to stick to it.  Get it right though and you can do so much more working from home and free up a lot of additional time to do something more fun. 

I'm lucky in that we have a small office, which I set up like a workplace.  I can shut the door and focus on my work, if you've got distractions or working in the lounge or wherever its gonna be tougher.  Hide yourself away in a 'work space' and focus your mind.  It takes a bit of willpower to work efficiently from home, you just have to find what works for you.

Set yourself a 25 minute - half hour task/goal, then have 5 mins off, then another 5 mins off.

Don't feel guilty about doing nothing for 10, even 15 minutes.

At work in the office, you are present but do far less work than you think even when you are working because someone will ask you a question, or the phone will ring, or you need to put paper in the printer etc. At home this doesn't happen so you will still be more efficient. 

Get out of the house at lunch.

I really enjoy working from home but I woke up today with a banging headache and blocked sinuses; so I'm struggling to get anything done.

My best bit of advice would be, as @maxjam says, to make sure your working area is as disassociated with wherever in your house you'd 'relax' as possible.

I find starting stupidly early helpful. My brain is most focused from around 4.00AM until 9ish though normally I'll work @ 3hours then take a first break at which point I snack and go walkabout or sit on the sun deck and drink a coffee or two if the weather is good. That break is for an hour max. Then back at it for around 2 hours before another snack and exercise if I can be arsed. I'll do one more hour of 'clear down' then that's it bar 30 minutes in the evening mapping the following day's tasks.

I love working from home - no divvies asking me dumb questions all day or trying to get me to do their work for them. No politics, no nannying, no small talk, just my poo, my way. I set a weekly target and if I'm done in 3 or 4 days I get an extra day off.

Without the constant disturbances of an office I can smash through 5 day's work in 3 and a half whilst actually working fewer hours. Greater efficiency, higher productivity, better outcomes, enhanced returns. What's not to like?

Sith Happens

No issue when WFH. Got my desk set up 2 screens im fine. Radio on just for company. Sat outside for a coffee at lunch. 

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Plus with my neve damage companies wont be keen take me on.

Don't tell them,  they aren't allowed to discriminate because of medical conditions. 

So I’m an it trainer normally. But no one wants classroom based teaching at the minute, and they don’t care too much about remote learning, prefer just to wait til all this blows over. But I can’t really wait that long. 

so while we’ve got no work on, me and my fellow trainers have set up a website called www.remoteheroes.co.uk, where we’ll be posting all sorts of tips about home working. Not just tech tips and useful software, but also best practice and looking after your mental health. 

our first live, free webinar is tomorrow at 2pm, all about Microsoft Teams. We’ve been practicing today. 

all free, as we have nothing better to do, but obviously the hope is well find a few new clients out of all of it.

so if you’re worried, or getting used to it, hopefully we’ll have some stuff on there to help, over the coming days and weeks. 

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Plus with my neve damage companies wont be keen take me on.

If you don't disclose something on your medical questionnaire then you are leaving yourself open to be dismissed if it is then found out later that you didn't disclose am afraid. 

Honesty is always the best policy. As another poster stated you cannot be discriminated against and the company has to make reasonable adjustments for any disability you may have.

Archived