Working from Home

Bubbles

56 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I've worked from home around 90% of the time for the past 3 years, and you do get used to it. The main thing is to not beat yoursefl up about taking time to do a bit of something else around the house (hang some washing out, a bit of ironing, prepare some tea for later etc)- it's these things that keep you sane. In fact, when I do go into the office you realise me how much time people actually spend NOT working, just chatting, eating, having a wander around. The guys in the next cell to me spend at least 50% of the day talking about computer games

How nice that you think of prison as home ?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

I'm currently working from home but will be furloughed in the next week or so. A large part of our company's income comes from Government R&D grants, and after last night's announcement, we won't have any technical people working on project delivery = massively lower income for the next couple of months at least. The rest of our revenue comes from R&D consultancy for other companies - who clearly are in purely survival mode at the moment.

80% salary up to £2,500 gross, will be quite a pay cut but I know how lucky I am. It's far better than 100% of nothing, which many people are looking at.

At least if we can't go out, we won't be spending anywhere near as much as we would normally.

If you're lucky and they're able to, your employer can make up the difference.

The banks get a lot of bad press but, my daughter and son in law both work for Lloyds bank (not in a branch) and they have been told their wages would be made up to 100%. My daughter is at risk because of severe asthma (plus other medical problems) so, both her and her husband are being given laptops to work from home. 

Hats off to LLoyds on this occasion. 

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I've been doing it for a week now, and starting to get in the groove.  First couple of days I tried staying in the front room, mainly because my work needed me to plug my desk phone directly into my router, so I could take calls.  That lasted two days cus it was destroying my back lent over to reach the laptop.  I've now retreated to the kitchen table and it's a lot better.  Works still coming in, so I can stay busy, and even if i have a lag, I've got Dave or Quest on in the background to gorm at for 10 minutes or so.  And failing that, I have the lad to educate, and the dog to disturb me.  Relaxation is not an option...

I've spent a lot of my career working from home and one of the tips I gave my daughter is DON'T have the TV on in the background when you're working. 

Well, that's day one of working from home all done and dusted! 

Managed to get a lie-in until 6, instead of the usual 5am alarm.   Start work at 09:30 instead of 07:00.  Zero commute, instead of the 1.0 mile trudge that doesn't even give time for the car seats to warm up!  A bit of totty to look at, instead of the fat oaf I'm usually facing in the office.

Not too bad overall, but hopefully won't be as busy tomorrow!

The only down side so far is the fact that, quite by chance, we had new smart meters fitted last Friday (Duel Fuel), and now we are home all day, with the meter display thingy flashing away at us!  I think I might just unplug that, and let the battery die down!  Gotta be better than putting a jumper on, and turning the heating down!  

Archived