What make you a Derby Fan

Curtains

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

Funny enough, I was telling a guy at work today about a School Trip to Blists Hill which if I recall is at Ironbridge. Bloody lovely pork scratchings from the butchers

And proper chippy chips done in beef dripping.

...And only 2s/6d too!   ?

?

My dad was from Derby. I am a southern softie - but huge rams fan because of my dad. Both my sons are Rams too - with one of my daughters still offering hope (the other is obsessed with horses - so no chance). My dad passed some years ago - but his legacy lives on - making me and his grandsons miserable most satdees!

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Them, us and Shrewsbury have always been my favorites....but now I find myself leaning towards the old school crest designs a bit too. 

I think Southampton's badge is very classy, especially on that old Patrick kit from way back

On 07/03/2020 at 09:50, Curtains said:

Me 

Walking to BBG from Littleover with my mates to see Jack Parry and Eddie Thomas etc .

Favourite player at that time was Geoff Barrowcliffe i seem to remember but I liked Frank Upton who was one of my mates Dad. 

My Dad made me be one

Came home from school aged 5/6 and announced I was a Liverpool fan - Was informed that actually, no I wasn't

Started getting taken to the games a few weeks later got bought a season ticket not long after - Fell in love through the likes of Williams, Short, Kitson, Gabbiadini and Pembridge but realistically it was probably the 95-96 promotion season that fully cemented me as a Derby fan 

3 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

My dad was from Derby. I am a southern softie - but huge rams fan because of my dad. Both my sons are Rams too - with one of my daughters still offering hope (the other is obsessed with horses - so no chance). My dad passed some years ago - but his legacy lives on - making me and his grandsons miserable most satdees!

Sell the horse replace it with a Ram tell her it rained last night and the horse shrunk, If she says why has my horse now got horns? tell her this is a very special horse.

You never know it might work ?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

My Dad made me be one

Came home from school aged 5/6 and announced I was a Liverpool fan - Was informed that actually, no I wasn't

Started getting taken to the games a few weeks later got bought a season ticket not long after - Fell in love through the likes of Williams, Short, Kitson, Gabbiadini and Pembridge but realistically it was probably the 95-96 promotion season that fully cemented me as a Derby fan 

Dads always know best.

Was born on Rutland Street about five/ten minutes walk from the ground. first game was against Birmingham, and the second was the game we beat Leeds to go up as champions (86-97) Oddly we were in a box, my dad cant remember how he managed that, and remember people wearing black and white carnations and rosettes. we had to get out of the box at the end just to soak up the atmosphere. there was no going back then. also when I had a season ticket i used to stay at my grandmas (we'd moved by then) and could see my seat in the toyota stand from her spare room. loved looking out of the window first thing on a Saturday at where i was going later! 

Born at home in Stanley Common. Moved to Breadsall Village. Dad supported the Rams as did Grandad. Went to a few games when old enough to be let into the boys enclosure then lifted up by Dad and others to join him on the terraces. Still a boy but started taking football seriously in 1968. Cloughy came along and Ive been in love with DCFC ever since.

Born in Derby, raised in Derby, Mum & Dad support Derby, brothers support Derby (well my eldest now supports Chelsea cus he's a bamford), went to my first game 27th Dec 1986 and watched Gee, Davidson & Gregory score in a 3-2 win over Barnsley.  Only ever going to be one team for me...

DCFC ?

A few years ago the Sky ad for the new footy season was a dad saying to his son "Choose your club wisely son, because when you do, it's yours for life". And that is so true of human beings the world over, but doesn't apply to Glory or Trophy hunters.

Actually my dad grew up in Harrington Street just down the road from the school, and opposite the iron factory. Yet he had no interest in football whatsoever. I can remember seeing old newspapers in his garage, with headlines on the back page about Rams, but I had no interest in farming, because it sounded boring to a young lad. But then a lad may parents used to pick up and take with us to Sunday School started talking about Derby County, so it became a regular feature of that Sunday afternoon journey to ask him "How do Derby do?" One time staying with my grandparents, my granddad took me for a walk and we went past the Baseball Ground, and he got them to open the big gates where I saw Reg Harrison standing in his goal, but the play was at the other end of the pitch. But that was about it for football input while I was a kid - up to junior school age. 

I actually loved playing footy at school, which was Cavendish Close junior school. We were graced with Peter Ward who was absolutely brilliant with a ball at his feet - even the burst footballs we had to play with, Chaddo being Chaddo! He would regualrly swap sides in ordr to even up the score, because virtually no-one could get the ball off him.

Then one night, after visiting said grandparents, my dad drove past the old BBG on the night we beat Chelsea in the FA Cup - Dave Mackay got the winner, I believe. And it was magical. The dark street with puny street lights, and that incredible huge glow of white light oozing out from over the top of the stadium and reaching all the way up to heaven! But still never went to a match, having to content myself with the paltry offering from Radio Two, who gave us second half commentary from a selected match, before I listened eagerly to all the scores to see how "my" team had got on!

Then Eddy Sewter, a good school mate took me to my first match, the 5 - 0 thrashing of Tottenham Hotspur in the biggest ever crowd for a Derby home match, and in the Pop Side as well!. A cracking start. I then found out that I could hear the Baseball Ground roar from my bedroom window in Chaddesden, so when I couldn't go to a match, I would have the radio on, and my bedroom window open!

I ended up with a season ticket in the Normanton  Stand, and used to get there really early - in height and growth lessons, my school report always used to say "Could do better", but inevitably just before kick-off all the 6 and 7 footers would turn up, look for the littlies and stand in front of us. I eventually found a standing area at the right hand end in the middle tier which afforded a great view, and the tall guys weren't aware that it was there.

I stuck with that right through all the glory years, eventually loosing momentum in the John Newman era. What a guy - he must have been at the back of the queue when they were handing personality out. I met him once, and it was like he was vacuuming the personality out of anyone within 5 yards of the guy. I was bored, and had got into the world of biking, and would much rather follow the fortunes of Barry Sheen, Phil Read and Mick Grant. Dad never caught hold of the football fever, but now my mum had got involved through listening to Radio Derby, and now I had to make the effort to show an interest in her latest passion, and she was an avid Derby fan via Radio for the rest of her life.

The arrival of Arthur Cox got me re-kindled, but matches had to be chosen carefully because of finances, and I started taking my middle son along. My oldest is one of those people who absolutely refuses to go with the flow. So his Dad likes football, therefore he doesn't. So one son as a Ram it is, then.

We started going to more matches during the Jim Smith era, during which time we gave my son a Pride Park Football party, featuring Rammy and all the rest. I can thoroughly recommend one of these parties because it is a great experience for your kids. In addition, we got 3 tickets tot the next home game. so we took my daughter along as well. She was only 7 and had no idea what was going on, but got hooked on the atmosphere, and now we are all South Stand Season Ticket holders, in Row R right behind the goal. Great view, and pretty much hooked for ever!

Archived