What make you a Derby Fan

Curtains

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was aged 4 {1969}. My oldest sister asked:

”Which football team do you support?”.

Before I had chance to reply, my other sister said. . . 

“You support Derby County don’t you”.

Me: “Yes I support Derby County”.

Had my sister not answered for me, I wouldn’t have had a clue what to say. My 4 year old self had no concept of football Clubs but as soon as she said it I felt totally at one with my newly found allegiance. 3 weeks later I was running around in full DCFC kit with 1969 shirt. 50 years later I still possess the 1969 shirt which I wear sometimes on a sunny match day {it’s obviously not the very same one}. That conversation with my sisters was a Road to Damascus moment that will live with me forever. 

As a 10 year old growing up in Chadd i'd heard of DCFC but more interested in climbing trees and falling out of them, Then one Saturday in 1966 I decided to walk into town down Nottingham Road and through the old Cattle Market and mooch around Cockpit Hill open market, I saw all these men(not too many Women in 1966 went)walking down Siddles road(was it Siddles road?) where the paint works was, Pavement was red and yellow...lol, Well I followed and followed not a clue where I was heading, Until I saw a football ground, This was quite an experience for me as i'd never seen one, Well I walked around and asked what was happening , A man said this is the home of Derby County.

Now as a nosey kid, I wanted to know how to get in but had no loot so asked the local kids(around my age)they said the gates open(kids pen)about 4-30pm, So we played around the streets, Heard noises that i'd never heard before...come on Derby, Cheers and kick it then groans(yes groans even in them days)4-30 came and as I was told the gates opened and around 6-8 of us walked in, I had to move to the front as I wasn't that tall but I could see the players, The keeper was either Reg Mathews or Ken Oxford, We played PNE and lost 2-0 or 2-1 not sure...I was hooked.

The next season I went to around 10-12 games, The season after I did the lot, Then came along a brash and young man called Brian Clough, WOW did DCFC change 2nd division champions, 1st division champions, European games, We beat all and sundry at the BBG, Being squashed in the "A" Stand Paddock when beating Spurs 5-0, Being in the Ossie End when again beating Sours 8-2, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Und, Leeds Utd, Real Madrid, Benfica, Juventus, Forest(4-1...lol)all new how horrible playing at the BBG and being an arms length from us was like, Players refusing to take corners or throw ins, The Fulham game where a Fulham player was kicked, Franny Lee and Norman Hunter having fun on the pitch, I've been clumped by OB, Squashed by OBs horses, Abused by OB, Kept in railway stations against my will by OB, Thumped by away supporters, Been fed absolute crap at some away grounds, Been treated as a leaper by those who never understood what a football supporter is about, Queued up in freezing temparatures at stupid o'clock for Leaague cup tickets against Chelsea and Everton in the late 60s, Fell out with the wife when pinching money out of her purse when going to away games, Been chucked out at Orient, Leicester(when we played Arsenal there)arrested and charged for being a football hooligan, Fighing left right and centre when away fans wanted to take the Popside.

Derby County was my life just like it is for some on here, I loved them so much that nothing else counted...even family at times.

In my mid 60s now, Life has changed along with Soccer(sorry football...lol)Seating, Lack of atmosphere, Not being able to have a pop at those on the pitch who we're not bothered about the shirt...Mick Coop remember him, Sky TV, BT TV(I have both what a hypocrite I am)i'm making a big choice in the next few weeks as to whether I re new or not, My love for DCFC has waned this last few years, The constant changing of games from Saturday to appease Sky and BT makes me want to say...bugger!!

There comes a time when you fall out of Love with something, Your Girlfriend, Your Wife, Your Job and yes even your Football Club.

Football, It makes you laugh and Cry.

Family. My Dad was taken to his first game in a motorbike side car in the 1930s. He was at Wembley in 1946, still in the forces after the war, was put on a charge for having a Derby Rosette pinned to his beret. Taken to may first game in 1968 as an 8 year old, I have 3 older brothers, all avid fans, but only me still a regular. My eldest brother over for the Forest game taking a 2000 mile journey just for the game.

We owe it all to parents who were pretty hard up, council house, working class, 40 mile round trip every game, not sure how we afforded it tbh, although my first game I was lifted over the turnstile to get in half price 2/6 or 12.5p today.

Yep definitely family and the Rams gripped me from day one and never let go. If you've been lifted off your feet in the Pop Side and carried about 20 yards after a goal, you never want to support any other team.

36 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Had my sister not answered for me, I wouldn’t have had a clue what to say. My 4 year old self had no concept of football Clubs but as soon as she said it I felt totally at one with my newly found allegiance. 3 weeks later I was running around in full DCFC kit with 1969 shirt. 50 years later I still possess the 1969 shirt which I wear sometimes on a sunny match day {it’s obviously not the very same one}. That conversation with my sisters was a Road to Damascus moment that will live with me forever. 

image.gif.3867657188927d198d871e5d1aa85d7b.gifWas it this one !

48 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Good job I bought this for my niece:

3D4186E8-0891-4D4C-8352-63CB024AE02B.thumb.png.7e05663bff616fda2f2d3df6213d8baf.png

And ordered this yesterday for her Christening present next month:

3FDD6DCE-1554-4715-BCD5-2E90FFE0571F.thumb.jpeg.963786d751d81312058a4503276ddab7.jpeg

41 minutes ago, TramRam said:

As a 10 year old growing up in Chadd i'd heard of DCFC but more interested in climbing trees and falling out of them, Then one Saturday in 1966 I decided to walk into town down Nottingham Road and through the old Cattle Market and mooch around Cockpit Hill open market, I saw all these men(not too many Women in 1966 went)walking down Siddles road(was it Siddles road?) where the paint works was, Pavement was red and yellow...lol, Well I followed and followed not a clue where I was heading, Until I saw a football ground, This was quite an experience for me as i'd never seen one, Well I walked around and asked what was happening , A man said this is the home of Derby County.

Now as a nosey kid, I wanted to know how to get in but had no loot so asked the local kids(around my age)they said the gates open(kids pen)about 4-30pm, So we played around the streets, Heard noises that i'd never heard before...come on Derby, Cheers and kick it then groans(yes groans even in them days)4-30 came and as I was told the gates opened and around 6-8 of us walked in, I had to move to the front as I wasn't that tall but I could see the players, The keeper was either Reg Mathews or Ken Oxford, We played PNE and lost 2-0 or 2-1 not sure...I was hooked.

The next season I went to around 10-12 games, The season after I did the lot, Then came along a brash and young man called Brian Clough, WOW did DCFC change 2nd division champions, 1st division champions, European games, We beat all and sundry at the BBG, Being squashed in the "A" Stand Paddock when beating Spurs 5-0, Being in the Ossie End when again beating Sours 8-2, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Und, Leeds Utd, Real Madrid, Benfica, Juventus, Forest(4-1...lol)all new how horrible playing at the BBG and being an arms length from us was like, Players refusing to take corners or throw ins, The Fulham game where a Fulham player was kicked, Franny Lee and Norman Hunter having fun on the pitch, I've been clumped by OB, Squashed by OBs horses, Abused by OB, Kept in railway stations against my will by OB, Thumped by away supporters, Been fed absolute crap at some away grounds, Been treated as a leaper by those who never understood what a football supporter is about, Queued up in freezing temparatures at stupid o'clock for Leaague cup tickets against Chelsea and Everton in the late 60s, Fell out with the wife when pinching money out of her purse when going to away games, Been chucked out at Orient, Leicester(when we played Arsenal there)arrested and charged for being a football hooligan, Fighing left right and centre when away fans wanted to take the Popside.

Derby County was my life just like it is for some on here, I loved them so much that nothing else counted...even family at times.

In my mid 60s now, Life has changed along with Soccer(sorry football...lol)Seating, Lack of atmosphere, Not being able to have a pop at those on the pitch who we're not bothered about the shirt...Mick Coop remember him, Sky TV, BT TV(I have both what a hypocrite I am)i'm making a big choice in the next few weeks as to whether I re new or not, My love for DCFC has waned this last few years, The constant changing of games from Saturday to appease Sky and BT makes me want to say...bugger!!

There comes a time when you fall out of Love with something, Your Girlfriend, Your Wife, Your Job and yes even your Football Club.

Football, It makes you laugh and Cry.

You've just literally described my relationship with Derby County.Exactly my timeline.

My parents moved to Burton in 1968, and my dad took me to the BBG in 1969 for my first game. I can remember the pitch looking really green, so must have been early season?. Hinton was my favourite player. Had an uncle who tried to convert me to Burton Albion, and even bought me the Brewers Subbuteo team for Christmas, but it was love at first sight for the Rams and still is 51 years later. Replica kits were scarce or my parents couldn’t afford them, so I cut out two oblong sections from a red T shirt and sewed them to the back of a white T shirt to make Hintons Rams shirt . Put my sister in goal and scored a shed load. Unfortunately didn’t have white boots.??

UTR.

5 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Cut out two oblong sections from a red T shirt and sewed them to the back of a white T shirt to make Hintons Rams shirt . Put my sister in goal and scored a shed load. Unfortunately didn’t have white boots.

Gladys was my favourite player, 2 left feet, A thunderous left boot, A cross that could land on a tanner(6d)his penalty miss against Juve took me a while to forgive...what a player ?

My dads side of the family all hailed from the Derby area. Whilst being a Rams fan himself he was quite chilled with who I chose as my team. It was more my uncle who steered me in the right direction. Cheers Uncle Dave, whilst it's caused some heart breaking moments being a Ram, it's all been worth it and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm just in the process of steering my nephew in the right direction. He seems to be buying into as he loves the game in general anyway. His knowledge of football for a 10 year old is phenomenal. I guess in this day and age it could be construed as grooming so if I stop posting the Old Bill have come knocking. UTR.

9 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Gladys was my favourite player, 2 left feet, A thunderous left boot, A cross that could land on a tanner(6d)his penalty miss against Juve took me a while to forgive...what a player ?

Big loss to Forest was Gladys. 

People used to shout Gladys wheres your handbag .

Great player for Brian .

Pin point crosses to John O'Hare and Roger .

Fantastic dead ball kicker and amazing on penalties.

Him and John Robertson another player motivated by  Cloughie where the best at their art  .

Magicians  

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Big loss to Forest was Gladys. 

People used to shout Gladys wheres your handbag .

Great player for Brian .

Pin point crosses to John O'Hare and Roger .

Fantastic dead ball kicker and amazing on penalties.

Him and John Robertson another player motivated by  Cloughie where the best at their art  .

Magicians  

Why was Hinton called Gladys, and why does everyone go on about his handbag?

I'm sure someone has told me the reason before, but I can't remember.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

His running style and he hated a tackle .

Draw your own conclusions 

Born in the city (lived in Normanton in fact, not far from BBG) & moved up North as a toddler. Wasnt really aware of football clubs until Panini Sticker albums in the playground & like many kids in late 80s, adopted Liverpool. Told my Dad one day & he replied 'you were born in Derby, you're a Ram'

Didnt ever question it, we'd just been promoted back to the old First Division so had a half decent team that won the respect of the other football mad kids...well, until Niall Quinn saved a Dean Saunders penalty the season we went down ?

Never regretted it, not even in 07/08. It's been a badge of identity for years in areas with few other Derby fans. And the brief glimpses of success still make me smile for weeks

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This is not for certain, Pretty sure it was the way he ran, 2 left feet made it look as tho he ran like a woman...Yes I know, Back in those days tho anything was fare game.

Edit, Curtains is right, Hated to be tackled.

Archived