Are we allowed an opinion

Curtains

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Well yes, that's kind of the point of academy players and showing promise. They aren't going to be coming from the academy seasoned veterans are they?

No 

The question is how good are they going to be.  

I suggest you have no idea. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

No 

None of us have with any certainty but why not, at this formative stage in their careers, at least give them the benefit of the doubt. To do otherwise is hardly being supportive when our backing for them is most needed.

25 minutes ago, TommyPowell said:

how can anybody not experience joy when a players spotted and nurtured by the club starts to show a lot of promise????

Good post, and sums up the positives from last nights game. Thought Sibley was outstanding and hope he starts v Blackburn and Bradley Johnson, could be fireworks there. Bird, Knight and both Full backs were also very good. Think Whittaker has good speed and can obviously finish as his record shows, but he needs to bulk up and show more Sibleyesque aggression if he’s going to make it at this level and above. 

As a side note Fozzys passing was Prem quality last night.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

I knew it would be a mistake responding to a Curtains thread the second I clicked submit reply. ?

I'll never learn. 

14 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

None of us have with any certainty but why not, at this formative stage in their careers, at least give them the benefit of the doubt. To do otherwise is hardly being supportive when our backing for them is most needed.

Ok I agree.  

I do back them. 

Bird    The best of the bunch. So much skill and good football brain. 

Sometimes need to play more decisive through balls and be braver

Knight.   Great prospect full of energy. 

Whitaker.    Not sure about him.

Bogle.  Good going forward.  Defending not so good.  Seems to be not so good as last season  

Lowe    Poor defensively   Gives the ball away a lot  

Sibley      Very good but very wild sometimes when tackling people so needs to control that  . Is he a 10 

Summing up.  

None are outstanding as of yet apart from Bird  IMO

4 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Ok I agree.  

I do back them. 

Bogle.  Good going forward.  Defending not so good.  Seems to be not so good as last season  

Sibley      Very good but very wild sometimes when tackling people so needs to control that  . Is he a 10 

Good summary of our youth that I would say Lowe is better than that but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion ?

40 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Well yes, that's kind of the point of academy players and showing promise. They aren't going to be coming from the academy seasoned veterans are they?

Exactly this ....I think the youngsters like Bird Knight and Sibley look like they could go on to play a lot of games for us ...Bogle has already and yet I don’t think has improved at all this season and same for Lowe but I do trust Cocu ...his comments recently about Bogle for example stood out for me he then left him out and I have no doubt that academy player or not you have to progress and be good enough to warrant a regular place in our team ....it isn’t just about bringing all of the academy players through it’s about bringing the ones that can improve and make the jump in level ...if we end up with 3 out of 6 that is still a good success rate imo but you will never know until they have been tested 

37 minutes ago, Curtains said:

No 

And for that comment alone is exactly the reason Cocu and his staff are still evaluating the (academy) players and their potential, it's a possibly season long guidance to see how and where they fit in going forward

21 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Ok I agree.  

I do back them. 

Summing up.  

None are outstanding as of yet apart from Bird  IMO

Give them a chance it’s still way to early to judge most of them I agree about Bogle and Lowe and Sibley is rash but if Cocu and co can coach him to a better level we have a top player in our hands ...you seem very uncertain about these youngsters but they need to be tested in the right environment 

6 hours ago, Curtains said:

See my opinion last night was why change the team around so much after a good win at Sheffield. .

Then you ask that question and you get the usual well we need to play the Academy players. 

Now maybe this thread doesn’t appertain to anything concrete but I feel the club is going for one policy only now and that’s the Academy .

It May be the right way but it may prove to be folly we shall see .

I thought we disrespected the FA Cup last night in front of a full house. 

Seen loads of people say this and I really don't get it

The majority of teams rotate for cup fixtures. The likelihood is that we lose that game last night, for me it's far more positive to lose giving our young lads some top quality experience against elite opposition than lose with your strongest team who are then subsequently also knackered for the league game 3 days after.

Worth mentioning as well is that Mel stated at the start of the season that he'd like half of the starting XI to consist of academy players in the near future. As far as I can tell, last night is the first time this has been achieved. 5 of the starting XI (Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Knight & Sibley) and then 6 when Whittaker came on. This is very impressive, even moreso when those youngsters didn't look out of place alongside £70m Bruno Fernandes.

22 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Seen loads of people say this and I really don't get it

The majority of teams rotate for cup fixtures. The likelihood is that we lose that game last night, for me it's far more positive to lose giving our young lads some top quality experience against elite opposition than lose with your strongest team who are then subsequently also knackered for the league game 3 days after.

Worth mentioning as well is that Mel stated at the start of the season that he'd like half of the starting XI to consist of academy players in the near future. As far as I can tell, last night is the first time this has been achieved. 5 of the starting XI (Lowe, Bogle, Bird, Knight & Sibley) and then 6 when Whittaker came on. This is very impressive, even moreso when those youngsters didn't look out of place alongside £70m Bruno Fernandes.

Except we have a nothing position in the Championship. 

Well, since we're allowed an opinion now........

I thought it was a risky team selection. But I'm a bit of a risk taker and so I quite liked it. Sink or swim.

Unfortunately we sank - but it was (as i have written elsewhere) fine margins and we didn't get Dame Fortune smiling on us.

Only a couple of years ago Snakey took his team to Old Trafford and lost 2-0 with his 1st choice line-up (more or less....only Tom Lawrence survives to last night) to a worse United team, mustering a whole 2 shots on target.

So taking no chances at all would not in all likelihood led to a materially different outcome.

And it could have been brilliant with a little more luck......

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Except we have a nothing position in the Championship. 

so? Doesn't change the fact that if we had started Clarke and he got injured, we'd have no fit, natural centre halves for the remainder of the season... So if you didn't like the defence last night, it'd be Wisdom and Forsyth for every remaining game. We're so weak in that position that rotation is essential, simple as that. 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

so? Doesn't change the fact that if we had started Clarke and he got injured, we'd have no fit, natural centre halves for the remainder of the season... So if you didn't like the defence last night, it'd be Wisdom and Forsyth for every remaining game. We're so weak in that position that rotation is essential, simple as that. 

FFP and January window 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You make your own luck! ?

Yeeeesss.....

You wont score if you don't shoot on target but we had a fair few of those.

And you can't legislate for things like their 1st....even if shaw did mean it ,(which I doubt) 19 times out of 20 that ball woul lollipop up into Roos' arms.

Mind you, then you'll tell me hed have come out for it arms down and be beaten to it by mata nodding it in or something ?

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

FFP and January window 

What?

My point still stands, the remaining league games are more important than a single cup game, regardless of opposition. Protecting squad strength through rotation is fairly sensible. Obviously we'd all love to have depth at CB but we don't so choices like this are necessary sometimes

Archived