Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Are they rising or have they peaked and are now going down again? If tier 2 is supposed to be a higher tier restriction, shouldn't they wait out the effects of that and see what it does rather than just immediately ramping up? 

Better to be proative than reactive. Waiting another week to see which way the cases are trending could be too late.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Better to be proative than reactive. Waiting another week to see which way the cases are trending could be too late.

So put everywhere in tier 3, they might not have a lot of cases but better to be proactive than reactive, right? Wrong.

If Tier 2 is supposed to work, why have they given it only a week before upgrading it even further, despite cases not going up in that week. 

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Anyone else find themselves mildly irritated by the Tier system being the wrong way round?

Generally Tier 1 would be the top tier in a tier system

Tier 1 being basic, tier 3 being stricter means further tiers can be added at a later date. If it was the other way round it would get confusing when in the below ground numbers

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Anyone else find themselves mildly irritated by the Tier system being the wrong way round?

Agree but it's obviously so they can add to them.

I feel the same about the GCSE grades - where grade 9 is the highest, so they can add numbers to allow for inflation. I'm old enough to remember when CSE grade 1 was the highest.

6 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Agree but it's obviously so they can add to them.

I feel the same about the GCSE grades - where grade 9 is the highest, so they can add numbers to allow for inflation. I'm old enough to remember when CSE grade 1 was the highest.

Interesting fact, I was part of the first year that did GCSEs instead of O-levels. 

Grades were A, B and C etc back in my day!

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Rather like the new GCSE grading where a grade A becomes a grade 9. ?

Edit: should have read to the end of the thread!

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Rather like the new GCSE grading where a grade A becomes a grade 9. ?

Edit: should have read to the end of the thread!

Actually, my eldest lad did his GCSEs a year ago.  The A grade is is equivalent to a 7, A* is an 8, A** is a 9.

Apparently the new system is to help distinguish the really bright and the really, really bright from the bright ?   Not entirely convinced its really necessary at that age tbh, surely that becomes more apparent as you do A-levels?  Gave someone something to do I suppose.

Anyway, I'm off topic so I'll shut up ?

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Tier 1 being basic, tier 3 being stricter means further tiers can be added at a later date. If it was the other way round it would get confusing when in the below ground numbers

Yeah I get that - I suppose my issue is with the use of the word Tier.

Tier 1 is usually used to mean the top tier

What's wrong with "Level"?? That works because Level 1 is usually the lowest level

Anyone would think these people hadn't even been to Oxbridge!

33 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Interesting fact, I was part of the first year that did GCSEs instead of O-levels. 

Grades were A, B and C etc back in my day!

I was in the second year of GCSE's I think (1989 exams)

Ah yes, simpler times......Jumpers for goalposts etc etc etc....

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Yeah I get that - I suppose my issue is with the use of the word Tier.

Tier 1 is usually used to mean the top tier

What's wrong with "Level"?? That works because Level 1 is usually the lowest level

Anyone would think these people hadn't even been to Oxbridge!

I didn't have a problem with it til you piped up!. Now it's like when you just stare at a word and it just looks like it's spelled wrong.

Thanks for that!

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

So I'm going under tier 3 lockdown in Sheffield, despite cases already going down, time to kill yet another Northern City. I hope these clowns don't get into power for another 50 years after this.

Sounds rubbish mate. If enough Northern MPs rebel, could this regime be ousted? At least the Tories find a new leader who can help save us from these clowns?

47 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I was in the second year of GCSE's I think (1989 exams)

Ah yes, simpler times......Jumpers for goalposts etc etc etc....

I left school at 15 without the need to take an exam and still got an engineering apprenticeship.

They were definitely simpler times.

20 European countries record highest ever daily cases

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-news-live-latest-uk-updates-andy-burnham-set-to-respond-to-manchesters-midday-deadline-on-tier-3-lockdown-12103666

Its nonsense I know, but it seems to me as though perhaps the connectivity between EU countries is one of the factors playing a role in the increase in cases compared to other more isolated countries such as, I dunno, Australia or New Zealand.

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

20 European countries record highest ever daily cases

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-news-live-latest-uk-updates-andy-burnham-set-to-respond-to-manchesters-midday-deadline-on-tier-3-lockdown-12103666

Its nonsense I know, but it seems to me as though perhaps the connectivity between EU countries is one of the factors playing a role in the increase in cases compared to other more isolated countries such as, I dunno, Australia or New Zealand.

If only we had some natural defence, like being surrounded by water or something... . 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If only we had some natural defence, like being surrounded by water or something... . 

Or if only we could look at the response and actions of countries surrounded by water that had successful  bio security systems in place prior to Covid-19.

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If only we weren't in 3rd in the world for number of air passengers and 2nd in the EU for busiest ports (not to mention a further 10m people using the Channel Tunnel) and have a large part of our economy dependent on it.

Archived