Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

don't like ignoring people and try to answer anyone that replies to me, but I've reached the point that I'm repeating myself over and over.  Rightly or wrongly I've made my point and backed it up where possible.  Continuing the back and forth is not achieving anything new so I'll leave it here.

Reading this thread is like watching Women's doubles at Wimbledon, before they bought in tie breakers.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Reading this thread is like watching Women's doubles at Wimbledon, before they bought in tie breakers.

Which is why I rarely engage with it nowadays.

Perhaps if those you're on about did the Athena tennis poster pose in recognition?.

Too much?

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I respect your points.

Equally, I think that they are 100% wrong. You probably feel exactly the same where my points are concerned.

You're not a scientist, whereas I am - and that explains everything.

I respect your points and agree with a lot of them.

At the same time I still think that the media and government have promoted lockdown paranoia and in the fullness of time my argument will regrettably be proven more right than wrong. 

I have nothing further to add on this subject now other than time will tell.

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think if we are waiting for politicians to show us they have scruples, we're all screwed. 

Just removed Poland and Turkey from the travel exemptions list - despite both countries having a lower infection rate and a lower increase in infection rate than the UK.

They are certainly consistent in their inconsistency.

47 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I respect your points and agree with a lot of them.

At the same time I still think that the media and government have promoted lockdown paranoia and in the fullness of time my argument will regrettably be proven more right than wrong. 

I have nothing further to add on this subject now other than time will tell.

Tbf if you are proved wrong it means lots of people are dying because lockdown wasn't strict enough...so you kinda want to be right? 

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Tbf if you are proved wrong it means lots of people are dying because lockdown wasn't strict enough...so you kinda want to be right? 

Fortunately whether I'm proved right or wrong won't effect anything as its just my personal opinion.  Ultimately people are going to die whatever path is taken and I'll take no pleasure in what happens whether I'm right or wrong ?

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

At the same time I still think that the media and government have promoted lockdown paranoia

Yes - and at the same time no. And therein lies the problem - they have been all over the show with incoherent, ever-changing advice.

The problem with essentially a blatantly corrupt political system. Every decision they've taken one way has been then been opposed by the corporate lobby and then reversed. Protect the people not the economy, then protect the economy and leave people to their own devices. Go back to the office, don't go back the office and so it goes on

The media obviously just follow what government tell them and/or what generates the most clicks/sales. So generating lockdown paranoia is a rich seam for them

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

For completeness, the debt was £1.88b by March 2020 (84.7%), with a deficit of £60.3b.

£1.88 trillion?!

And for a population of 60 million, that's a debt of £31,300 per person, growing at £1,000 per person per year.

Maybe football clubs should sell of some players ... that should cover it!

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Just removed Poland and Turkey from the travel exemptions list - despite both countries having a lower infection rate and a lower increase in infection rate than the UK.

They are certainly consistent in their inconsistency.

Why is it that their lower infection rate & lower increase in infection rate is relevant. 

isn’t the point being, that there is a level at which a countries infection rates are considered an additional risk to travellers coming back into this country, whether or not their rate is lower or higher than the UK’s. 

1 minute ago, bcnram said:

Why is it that their lower infection rate & lower increase in infection rate is relevant. 

isn’t the point being, that there is a level at which a countries infection rates are considered an additional risk to travellers coming back into this country, whether or not their rate is lower or higher than the UK’s. 

Because it's apparently safer, statistically, to leave the UK and to spend a week in Turkey or Poland than it is just staying put in the UK. Your reward for reducing the risk to others by going away to a country where you have a lower chance of contracting the disease is two weeks quarantine.

Don't you see that as just a little bit bonkers?

22 hours ago, rammieib said:

I'm also curious, if the App tells me, does the App inform the local authorities as well?

We have an answer! And I think that this might persuade people sitting on the fence to download it.

The Daily Mail say that it is not illegal to ignore a warning on the Tracking App ...

And part way through the article it says: A Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) spokesman said: 'Users of the official NHS Covid-19 contact tracing app are anonymous and we cannot force them to self-isolate or identify them if they are not self-isolating.*

(Although, if one uses the App to book a test, then, at that point, they'll know who you are - but perhaps the reports are still stored separately?)

And, be careful, because the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) seem to say that an employee could face disciplinary action if they came to work after receiving an alert on the Tracking App! 

In fact this CIPD article advising employers about Covid and their Workforce is very interesting.

* STATUTORY INSTRUMENT

2020 No. 1045

PUBLIC HEALTH, ENGLAND,

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Self-Isolation) (England) Regulations 2020

2.—(1) This regulation applies where an adult is notified, other than by means of the NHS Covid 19 smartphone app developed and operated by the Secretary of State, by a person ... [working for the NHS]  ... [to self-isolate] ... then they will be hung, drawn and quartered if they do not self-isolate ...

The bit in bold means that the Tracking App notifications are not included in the punishments,

... and the bit in italics may have been slightly altered.

Archived