Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

lockdown doesn't make sense unless it's a proper lockdown. I was on a plane, forced to wear a mask, except when eating or drinking, so where is the sense in that? Does the virus not infect those eating or drinking?

Yes, it does - but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that the critical infection factor is 'viral load'. If you were wearing your mask for 90% of the time, then the risk you were taking in even being there was reduced by 90%, and if you were unfortunate enough to cop a dose, it would have been much reduced, therefore your own immune system would have been far more able to handle it.

There are no absolutes in this issue, no universal means of preventing infection, no magic bullet. Conversely, every precaution you take reduces your possibility of being infected, and equally reduces your chance of passing the infection on. If enough people take enough precautions, then the disease eventually dies out because it runs out of hosts, purely and simply by the law of diminishing returns.

That's what R is all about. Above 1, the number of cases increase because each infected person passes it on to more than 1. Below 1, the number of cases decrease because each infected person passes it on to fewer than 1 person.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

We have just about come through it thanks but still have some after effects 

Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

My daughter is a marathon runner in her 30s, and she had it in March. She still hasn't been able to begin serious training again, 6 months later.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Disagree.

Just look in supermarkets. 

Older people that would not have come within 10 metres of me 4 months ago now seem to be unconcerned.

I'm old, and came within 10 metres of you once. Mind you, there was black pudding involved (no sausages though).

We went to Tesco today - it's the only time we venture out week to week. By and large, everyone we saw was very much keeping their distance today, unlike last week when a group of young adults were deliberately flaunting the mask rules and going out of their way to be obnoxious, laughing at mask-wearers, deliberately being obstructive and cretinous.

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes, it does - but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that the critical infection factor is 'viral load'. If you were wearing your mask for 90% of the time, then the risk you were taking in even being there was reduced by 90%, and if you were unfortunate enough to cop a dose, it would have been much reduced, therefore your own immune system would have been far more able to handle it.

There are no absolutes in this issue, no universal means of preventing infection, no magic bullet. Conversely, every precaution you take reduces your possibility of being infected, and equally reduces your chance of passing the infection on. If enough people take enough precautions, then the disease eventually dies out because it runs out of hosts, purely and simply by the law of diminishing returns.

That's what R is all about. Above 1, the number of cases increase because each infected person passes it on to more than 1. Below 1, the number of cases decrease because each infected person passes it on to fewer than 1 person.

My concern with masks is that the ones most people wear are little more than a bit of cloth with string attached (often with a funny picture of a kitten more appealing to the buyer than medical efficacy).

You are right that 'viral load' seems to be a key component but it is also strange that many people are still not affected, even when living in a house with people who have it. We have advanced a lot in learning since March - steroids, bed rotation - and now seem more capable to limit the chain escalation of reaction that the body instigates on exposure.

But there still remains way to much 'it's just like bad flu' that is stifling the seriousness of how the general public are treating it.

I'm currently being lambasted by friends because I've declined to go on a pub crawl (OK, it is in Nottingham) but my view is that it just isn't worth the risk, enhanced in recent days. But even intelligent people have huge blind spots about this and I don't see that changing soon.

It's going to be a long, long winter.

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm old, and came within 10 metres of you once. Mind you, there was black pudding involved (no sausages though).

We went to Tesco today - it's the only time we venture out week to week. By and large, everyone we saw was very much keeping their distance today, unlike last week when a group of young adults were deliberately flaunting the mask rules and going out of their way to be obnoxious, laughing at mask-wearers, deliberately being obstructive and cretinous.

Pre mask wearing, all of my local supermarkets had security guards to limit numbers of shoppers to ensure social distancing could be observed.

Average queue time I would estimate at 5 to 10 minutes.

There are no longer security guards and numbers are not controlled. 

If numbers being admitted in Mar/Apr/May/Jun were limited for social distancing, there is no way it can be being observed now.

30 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

My concern with masks is that the ones most people wear are little more than a bit of cloth with string attached (often with a funny picture of a kitten more appealing to the buyer than medical efficacy).

I get tired of pointing out the obvious, but here goes (again).

The point of wearing a mask is not for your protection - it's for everyone else's. Their sole aim is to stop your snot and mucus getting airborne and infecting others.

You are protected likewise when everyone else is wearing one.

20 hours ago, Norman said:

They reckon if we do get one it will be the end of 2021 when it is rolled out. 

One in Australia is in Phase 3 of 4, but it doesn't protect you from Covid fully.

The other 4 or 5 that have reached Phase 3 include labs in Beijing and Wuhan.

The labs in Beijing and Wuhan already have the vaccine. China not happy yet that their virus has completely achieved its goal ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Pre mask wearing, all of my local supermarkets had security guards to limit numbers of shoppers to ensure social distancing could be observed.

Average queue time I would estimate at 5 to 10 minutes.

There are no longer security guards and numbers are not controlled. 

If numbers being admitted in Mar/Apr/May/Jun were limited for social distancing, there is no way it can be being observed now.

I can't really comment on what was going off in Spring / early summer, because we were sheltering. We started venturing out, once a week, about 5 weeks ago. We go to Tesco, Long Eaton, every Wednesday for around 45 minutes to pick up a few things (we still use their delivery service, but we enjoy the trip out and who doesn't always need a little more beer?). The longest checkout queue we have been in has been 3 people - one in front, us and then one behind - and there has been no crowding (other than the aforementioned childish Bamfords deliberately antagonising people a couple of weeks ago). So 5-10 minutes might be about right.

I must stress that it's the only supermarket we have visited.

One observation from the last couple of weeks though - the wife and I haven't seen anyone else other than ourselves using the hand-sanitiser station on entry to the store (we use our own sanitiser when we get back to the car and before we remove our masks).

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

One observation from the last couple of weeks though - the wife and I haven't seen anyone else other than ourselves using the hand-sanitiser station on entry to the store (we use our own sanitiser when we get back to the car and before we remove our masks).

I don't use the hand sanitiser, but I do spray the basket/trolley, even if they've usually been 'pre-sprayed' by a staff member.

Hand sanitiser in the car > liberally spray trolley/basket handles (don't dry them off) > go about my business > hand sanitiser in the car

Adding a 3rd hand sanitising step after spraying the trolley just feels like it's adding yet another 'contact point' to pick up germs from after the spray bottle, and by not fully drying the handles after spraying them I'm still getting some antibac on my hands.

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Fair enough, it answers his question - but comparing New Zealand with the UK will never work out. 

That's why my post brought up Australia, Vietnam and Taiwan. 

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

No, I did.

I misrepresented an argument just as you misrepresented one. 

Obviously you should read comments and try understand them before replying but that appears to be beyond you. 

How was your argument misrepresented? I explained why the point I made was valid, and gave reasoning. You have no even attempted to counter that reasoning. 

Archived