Coronavirus

1of4

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Except you don't have any reason to suggest that it's lead to cases rising. This is the old 'if vaccines cause autism, then we should be skeptical of taking them' line. 

If the issue is people being poorly behaved, then target the behaviour. 

Where is your evidence that people behaving poorly is leading to cases rising?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Where is your evidence that people behaving poorly is leading to cases rising?

Nowhere, because I'm not claiming that, you are. Your suggestion was that masks aren't helping, and are making things worse. The only way this could be the case is if their use led to people being reckless, hence 'behaving poorly'. Your previous comment makes it clear that this is your wider view on the point as you referred to people 'congregating in the streets' due to pubs closing at 10 pm. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

The issue is the lack of inoculations and treatment... weird thing to bring up. 

Ironically, if TB were more contagious, and behaved more like Covid-19, it'd have been eradicated long ago. 

Not really a weird thing to bring up, we are destroying our society for a less lethal virus/disease . Anyway if it doesn’t fit the narrative even if it’s correct then it’s called weird, far fetched, bizarre, conspiracists etc etc etc. I get it, I do, some have adapted and actually prefer the “new normal” as it suits them, it’s ok. Bit selfish mind you, but we all do what’s right for us and ours. 

Just now, TexasRam said:

Not really a weird thing to bring up, we are destroying our society for a less lethal virus/disease . Anyway if it doesn’t fit the narrative even if it’s correct then it’s called weird, far fetched, bizarre, conspiracists etc etc etc. I get it, I do, some have adapted and actually prefer the “new normal” as it suits them, it’s ok. Bit selfish mind you, but we all do what’s right for us and ours. 

Gunshots to the head are more lethal than it as well, it's not really the point. The point is that the disease spreads extremely easily, overwhelms health systems. Given how quickly it spreads, and its infection fatality rate, it could potential cost the World somewhere from 500-700 million lives if not dealt with effectively, before even taking into account lives lost while healthcare systems are on their knees. 

TB on the other hand is well controlled, and very treatable. The only reason it's not eliminated is because those who have the means to do it have no interest in doing it. 

As to adapting, I have done virtually no adapting, as my life is going on as normal right now. The shops are open, the schools are open. I went with my family, who live hundreds of km away, to a restaurant today, and the place has virtually recovered after the main hit from the pandemic. Why? Because where I am we did what we did what was necessary to get the numbers to zero, we tolerated the treatment to get the cure. When there was a scare 2 months back, we again, went through what we needed to. 

People aren't 'destroying society', it's the disease. If restrictions were eased despite this second wave in the UK, the effects could be devastating. I know it's a low bar, but I'm glad the UK government has better decision makers than you. 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

There are now fewer than 5000 diagnosed cases of TB in the UK each year, with fewer than 300 deaths. 

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

it could potential cost the World somewhere from 500-700 million lives if not dealt with effectively,

You've just plucked that number out of nowhere. In 9 months, the total number of deaths is just over a million in the world. 

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You've just plucked that number out of nowhere. In 9 months, the total number of deaths is just over a million in the world. 

True but don't forget according to the latest 'predictions', everyone in the UK will be dead shortly after Christmas so probably best not making any long term plans.  Either that or go out and party after 10pm cos we're all doomed anyway ?

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think I'll stop putting oil in my car. Most of the mechanics say it's important but I've never had engine issues.

I will keep buying this expensive water softening liquid that I'm told by the producers will lengthen the life of my washing machine. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Says it all

49 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The number isn't 'plucked from no where', it's the figure you'd get going with the current estimate for infection fatality rate and fraction of population required to reach herd immunity, ie the 'let the fire burn' scenario. 

There are two things about the 1 million figure though:

1. It's well known to be an underestimate, most because countries report deaths differently. 

2. The figure is only that low due to all the controls being put in place. 

Think about it, this is a disease that has captured global attention, with enough restrictions you get subculture calling for the deaths of others so they can get a pint, yet even with all that 1 million people have already died in 1 month. The population of the whole county gone, already, from a disease the World is trying to fight back against. A disease that started from zero, rather than being endemic. 

Just now, Albert said:

The number isn't 'plucked from no where', it's the figure you'd get going with the current estimate for infection fatality rate and fraction of population required to reach herd immunity, ie the 'let the fire burn' scenario. 

You must be using hilariously poor numbers if you think 1 in 14 people on the planet would die if the virus got left to it. And you say that's before deaths due to healthcare being overwhelmed. That's mental. Just admit you pulled the figure from thin air and don't double down. 

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

There are two things about the 1 million figure though:

1. It's well known to be an underestimate, most because countries report deaths differently. 

2. The figure is only that low due to all the controls being put in place. 

Think about it, this is a disease that has captured global attention, with enough restrictions you get subculture calling for the deaths of others so they can get a pint, yet even with all that 1 million people have already died in 1 month. The population of the whole county gone, already, from a disease the World is trying to fight back against. A disease that started from zero, rather than being endemic. 

Decimal point in the wrong place? 0.5-1% of 7.8 billion people is 39-78 million deaths

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm not sure but I think we may have just activated a few sleeper Russian agents on the forum ?

Don't know about Russian agents. But there's definitely a few box standard wind-up merchants on here, that are having a good time.

Archived