Coronavirus

1of4

37 minutes ago, David said:

Oh definitely, installed it myself and will get the missus to as well, we will do our bit, no reason not to if we can.

And if anyone is worried about privacy, throw your phones in the bin and cancel your internet packages.

Won’t be downloading it. Get your point, but it’s my small and pointless stand against the nepotism involved in awarding the multimillion pound contract to a former three boss, who specifically got done for privacy breaches too. Just duck this government and everything they turn their hand to. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Won’t be downloading it. Get your point, but it’s my small and pointless stand against the nepotism involved in awarding the multimillion pound contract to a former three boss, who specifically got done for privacy breaches too. Just duck this government and everything they turn their hand to. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this uses Google and Apple’s api like other countries are using, something we should have done at the start rather than going it alone 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this uses Google and Apple’s api like other countries are using, something we should have done at the start rather than going it alone 

Yep, it does now. It didn’t originally, with millions wasted. 

2 hours ago, David said:

It isn't, but you know when it's the highest single figure of cases since all this started they are going to lock us down regardless of deaths. 

In April there were 100,000 estimated cases per day. We just weren’t testing  and confirming them. 

I do wish they’d stop saying cases now are higher when they’re a small fraction of what they were.

15 hours ago, sage said:

Downloaded it and mine said write out your will and only put a tenners worth of petrol in the car.

Me old man always replied when asked how he was, “the Doctor advised me not to buy a long playing record”

Readers under the age of 40 will not understand this. 

29 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Is this what we’ve become, good god

Maybe just to ease our minds that they are doing the right thing, the Government should release the 'evidence' they say they have that the virus has been spread more after 10 o'clock, or perhaps they could just make up another graph that proves it?

Couples who don't live together can now meet up for sex after changes to the coronavirus restrictions in England - but casual sex is still banned.

53 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe just to ease our minds that they are doing the right thing, the Government should release the 'evidence' they say they have that the virus has been spread more after 10 o'clock, or perhaps they could just make up another graph that proves it?

Really, that’s the right thing, that’s the way we want to be? Sniffling inspectors going door to door

fyi the charts I post aren’t made up they are all from viable sources, they may not show a exaggerated trend to fit the narrative and just show the actual figures that none apparently wants to see??‍♂️

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When you used to be on here, you would attempt to defend the government on almost anything. How things change after 50k deaths.

Clearly much of their response to Covid has been dire and we are now in the situation where we could be on the verge of a load more deaths.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to a pub before, but I remember the last time I went out drinking was the day when Johnson first addressed the nation about Covid been serious and that he was wrong to show off about shaking hands with infected people (ok, he didn't say that).

People were not social distancing but shaking hands had stopped and everyone was been careful. Well, they were until later on in the night when everyone was drunk. I don't have evidence to show you, but I'm pretty sure it was after 10pm when I had my arms around mates and forgot there was a virus about.

Maybe that's just me been an irresponsible drunk, or maybe that's general behaviour towards the end of a night when people have been drinking?

There is so much to criticise this government about (remember the world beating app that was crucial to easing lockdown) that this 10pm curfew on pubs is really rather minor, even for your heroic, freedom loving Englishman.

How about only 15 people at a wedding, but the same restaurant can have 30 people in it if not a wedding?

Or a couple with 3 kids can't all meet their grandparents outside, but 6 people from different families can all drink/eat together without being socially distanced? And the government advises us to report the law breaking family.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Is this what we’ve become, good god

Are speakeasies *really* going to be a thing in an age where you can get crates of alcohol delivered to your home? ? 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I assume you’re being deliberately facetious as there is no way such evidence could ever be produced.

It is my belief that this ruling is all about moderating people’s social behaviour for a period of time whilst the spread of the virus is brought back under control. I guess those that came up with this cut off time did so on the basis that as the evening wears on, some people drink more and their inhibitions and self control begins to drop a little thus increasing the risk of flouting social distancing rules with the resultant risk of increased spreading of the virus. That’s my theory anyway.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I assume you’re being deliberately facetious as there is no way such evidence could ever be produced.

It is my belief that this ruling is all about moderating people’s social behaviour for a period of time whilst the spread of the virus is brought back under control. I guess those that came up with this cut off time did so on the basis that as the evening wears on, some people drink more and their inhibitions and self control begins to drop a little thus increasing the risk of flouting social distancing rules with the resultant risk of increased spreading of the virus. That’s my theory anyway.

Not just that but it's to stop people going from one pub to another and not remembering who they have been in contact with for servo test and trace.

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Did not Belgium do the same 10PM curfew and it helped level cases? Does that count as evidence?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

When you used to be on here, you would attempt to defend the government on almost anything. How things change after 50k deaths.

Clearly much of their response to Covid has been dire and we are now in the situation where we could be on the verge of a load more deaths.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to a pub before, but I remember the last time I went out drinking was the day when Johnson first addressed the nation about Covid been serious and that he was wrong to show off about shaking hands with infected people (ok, he didn't say that).

People were not social distancing but shaking hands had stopped and everyone was been careful. Well, they were until later on in the night when everyone was drunk. I don't have evidence to show you, but I'm pretty sure it was after 10pm when I had my arms around mates and forgot there was a virus about.

Maybe that's just me been an irresponsible drunk, or maybe that's general behaviour towards the end of a night when people have been drinking?

There is so much to criticise this government about (remember the world beating app that was crucial to easing lockdown) that this 10pm curfew on pubs is really rather minor, even for your heroic, freedom loving Englishman.

How about only 15 people at a wedding, but the same restaurant can have 30 people in it if not a wedding?

Or a couple with 3 kids can't all meet their grandparents outside, but 6 people from different families can all drink/eat together without being socially distanced? And the government advises us to report the law breaking family.

At least he is not a blind faith follower and had the nads to question when appropriate. 

I have plenty of questions about how the govt had dealt with this but I also have to ask myself who would have done better? No blueprint for this. 

As for the inconsistencies, impossible to not have.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I do wonder how many who are complaining were actually in pubs past 10pm. A good number that had put all their proper protocols in place were closed or closing up at 10pm anyway. It’s when people were congregating into the pubs that were open later I started to see issues with social distancing.

Seen quite a few messages from pubs in my area also saying not to worry to much and that they can and will adapt with the changes.

As I said the other day, the pubs that are willing to work with the guidance and can be flexible will be fine. It’s those that tried to carry on as normal that are going to have a tougher time because they now have to put all the regulations properly into place.

20 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

At least he is not a blind faith follower and had the nads to question when appropriate. 

I have plenty of questions about how the govt had dealt with this but I also have to ask myself who would have done better? No blueprint for this. 

As for the inconsistencies, impossible to not have.

Far enough, but some of @G STAR RAMs previous defences have seemed a little blind faith. The 10pm pub curfew seems like a minor quibble to many of the issues.

Inconsistencies are always going to happen, but there have been many that have been baffling.

I agree there have been difficult decisions for the government to take. I just struggle to understand why some of their original supporters (not just on here, but in general) seemingly excused some of their worst errors, but then are upset with measures clearly aimed at preventing another load of deaths. I can't understand how people are so sure these measures are unnecessary.

10 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I do wonder how many who are complaining were actually in pubs past 10pm. A good number that had put all their proper protocols in place were closed or closing up at 10pm anyway. It’s when people were congregating into the pubs that were open later I started to see issues with social distancing.

Seen quite a few messages from pubs in my area also saying not to worry to much and that they can and will adapt with the changes.

As I said the other day, the pubs that are willing to work with the guidance and can be flexible will be fine. It’s those that tried to carry on as normal that are going to have a tougher time because they now have to put all the regulations properly into place.

I’m not complaining about the 10 pm my post (which sparked all this) was in disgust at what we’ve become. Inspectors checking on people, snitching on each other. Not for me I’m afraid 

20 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I’m not complaining about the 10 pm my post (which sparked all this) was in disgust at what we’ve become. Inspectors checking on people, snitching on each other. Not for me I’m afraid 

Haha, it’s one example in one area of London.

Stop snitching on people doing their job!

Archived