Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Also if cases have been up for a month, deaths will have risen near proportionally by now following that line of reasoning. Theres other factors in play imo that are leading to less deaths,  either the virus has mutated into a weaker strain so less die and more people are infected as that happens with viruses, or the majority of the most vulnerable have already died or potentially something else. 

It's obviously something else, and it's dangerous to start trying to spread unsubstantiated theories that the virus is getting weaker

It's been known since quite early on that the younger you are, the more likely you are to be asymptomatic or only very mildly affected. So it's logical that the start of this new wave is hitting younger people, who are far more blase about the virus and the safty measures being asked.

We're also seeing fewer deaths because we're protecting the vulnerable a lot better than we were at the start - but it's only a matter of time before it gets out of control again. Especially if young people continue to act like it doesn't matter

The first death in UK is being reported as February.

I'd therefore hazard a guess that the virus was here in January at the very latest.

So between January and the end of March there was no social distancing, no masks and people just carrying on as normal.

We not have social distancing and masks and on the whole people behaving sensibly. 

And we are told that cases are as high as at the peak.

Something really doesnt add up here.

If these figures are true then it is blatant evidence that we cannot control this virus, even countries that had much more stringent lockdowns than us are struggling again.

Think the Government need to jump one way or the other.

We completely lockdown the country until the virus has gone and never let anyone cross our borders until the disease has been eradicated or a vaccine found, and in the process absolutely trash our economy. Or we try and get back to normal, let people make their own decision on the level of risk they wish to take, and protect the people that dont wish to take any risks and are happy to put their lives on hold while we wait for the disease to be eradicated or a vaccine found.

46 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's obviously something else, and it's dangerous to start trying to spread unsubstantiated theories that the virus is getting weaker

It's been known since quite early on that the younger you are, the more likely you are to be asymptomatic or only very mildly affected. So it's logical that the start of this new wave is hitting younger people, who are far more blase about the virus and the safty measures being asked.

We're also seeing fewer deaths because we're protecting the vulnerable a lot better than we were at the start - but it's only a matter of time before it gets out of control again. Especially if young people continue to act like it doesn't matter

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The first death in UK is being reported as February.

I'd therefore hazard a guess that the virus was here in January at the very latest.

So between January and the end of March there was no social distancing, no masks and people just carrying on as normal.

We not have social distancing and masks and on the whole people behaving sensibly. 

And we are told that cases are as high as at the peak.

Something really doesnt add up here.

If these figures are true then it is blatant evidence that we cannot control this virus, even countries that had much more stringent lockdowns than us are struggling again.

Think the Government need to jump one way or the other.

We completely lockdown the country until the virus has gone and never let anyone cross our borders until the disease has been eradicated or a vaccine found, and in the process absolutely trash our economy. Or we try and get back to normal, let people make their own decision on the level of risk they wish to take, and protect the people that dont wish to take any risks and are happy to put their lives on hold while we wait for the disease to be eradicated or a vaccine found.

With you to a degree but the vulnerable will be sacrificed.  It is not a simple decision of risk.  Care workers are going to get exposed unless they permanently isolate. I think there is a big chance that this cannot be eradicated so perhaps you need a vote as to how to deal with as I don’t think your government has any intention of making a decision

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Cases are nowhere near as important as deaths or serious cases, especially considering that due to increased testing obviously cases can't be compared accurately to the spring figures. 

Well of course they’re not but they are still an important indicator of possible causes for concern further down the line.

Whitty and Vallance said the increase in cases can’t be attributed to increased testing.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

With you to a degree but the vulnerable will be sacrificed.  It is not a simple decision of risk.  Care workers are going to get exposed unless they permanently isolate. I think there is a big chance that this cannot be eradicated so perhaps you need a vote as to how to deal with as I don’t think your government has any intention of making a decision

Well we make sure that care workers are up to their eyeballs in PPE. Afterall if a 3p mask is supposed to stop the virus spreading in supermarkets we should be able to stop it spreading in care homes surely.

I supported the first lockdown. 3 months of all of our lives lost, economy collapsed and it appears no progress in controlling the virus.

I dont support more measures and I certainly dont support politicians telling who I can and cannot have in my own house.

If my parents were vulnerable but would rather see their grandkids and take the risk of catching it, rather than spending another 6 months locked in their house then that should be their decision to make, not the Government. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well we make sure that care workers are up to their eyeballs in PPE. Afterall if a 3p mask is supposed to stop the virus spreading in supermarkets we should be able to stop it spreading in care homes surely.

I supported the first lockdown. 3 months of all of our lives lost, economy collapsed and it appears no progress in controlling the virus.

I dont support more measures and I certainly dont support politicians telling who I can and cannot have in my own house.

If my parents were vulnerable but would rather see their grandkids and take the risk of catching it, rather than spending another 6 months locked in their house then that should be their decision to make, not the Government. 

One person's risk is another person's risk that does not work. We are in this together.

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

This was my experience last week. My son was tested at Toyota on Monday morning and we didn't get the results until late Friday evening

I couldn't even get a test slot for me so gave up trying and figured I'd try again if he was positive (he wasn't)

We had the same experience of 119 - total waste of time. But that said, when I was tested in early August the results hadn't arrived after 72 hours so I rang 119 and got through to find that all they do is put a "resubmit" on the test and tell you that you have to wait a further 72 hours, so I wouldn't worry about it - total shambles

Thanks - glad I'm not alone.

Thankfully, the results came through an hour ago, around 2000 hrs on the 23rd and it was negative - which means that we only have to contend with asthma and a chest infection, but we've done that before and we'll manage.  We are a lot better off than many thousands of people of our age group (70s) who haven't survived this curse.

Thanks all....

Genuine question, the increase in positive tests...is that simply reflecting the fact that more people are going for tests? 

Until recently I literally knew a handful of people who had been tested, now it feels like every man and his dog is being tested! . At least 20 people I know well have been for tests in the last week or so (all negative so far). Mostly prompted by a cough and slight cold/illness (that was presumably caught off other children in school). Schools are obviously encouraging them to be tested with those symptoms and Doctor surgeries likewise. Schools being open is spreading minor colds etc and also makes parents more aware of the need to test whereas before schools were open they probably just kept to themselves for a few days. 

Archived