Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, maxjam said:

OK, for 2017/18, you first had 60k excess flu deaths from the Daily Mail and now you have 50k excess flu deaths from The Independent. These two newspapers (and others) basically just latched onto an ONS 50k estimate for 2017/18.  However their estimate was criticised (not least in the BMJ) due to the ONS blaming ‘all excess winter mortality’ on the flu. Basically it was seen as the government/ONS blaming ‘ALL’ excess winter deaths on a difficult flu season rather than blaming politically more sensitive reasons.

The excess deaths due to the flu for 2017/18 were estimated as usual by Public Health England (for the UK as a whole).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/740606/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2017_to_2018.pdf

If TL;DR than you’ll see at the bottom of page 47 that they estimated 15,969 excess deaths due to the flu in the 2017/18 flu season.

(FWIW, the actual number of people who were admitted to ICU/HCU in the 2017/18 influenza season was 3,454 with 372 deaths)

3 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

I don't know either way that's why I'm asking! Seems to me that we need to work out how bad covid is to the health of its surviving victims. Surely this drives the policy in a similar fashion to lethality.?

Sorry there, I was been facetious towards the people who have beliefs rather than evidence based expert opinion.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Lockdown 2 is coming isn't it?

Testing positive isn't a Covid death. If 90% of tests are false positive then there are tens of thousands of people dying who never even had Covid, being registered as a Covid death, nevermind how they still can't conclude if it was with or be because of. 

People have lost their minds. 

3 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Testing positive isn't a Covid death. If 90% of tests are false positive then there are tens of thousands of people dying who never even had Covid, being registered as a Covid death, nevermind how they still can't conclude if it was with or be because of. 

People have lost their minds. 

It isn't, but you know when it's the highest single figure of cases since all this started they are going to lock us down regardless of deaths. 

Heard a story today, can't link you as this was talking with a friend, her son's mate at school missed his test, they put him down as positive and now has to isolate for 14 days without even sitting it. 

I honestly don't know what to think anymore, can just see we are heading for another lockdown by the start of October. 

9 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Imagine how many that would be reduced to if we'd enforced a lockdown for several months.

Or imagine how many covid deaths we would have seen without several months of lockdown ?

9 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

The governments coronavirus track and trace app is live in app stores today. 

The risk in my area is apparently Medium. 

Has anyone got an area risk of anything other than medium? Call me cynical, but I am a bit suspicious it's the same regardless of where you are in the UK. 

Looks like it's only medium and high for England, but Wales has some low areas

9 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Just in case it's been missed

The track and trace app is now available on Google and Android

If 15% of people use it, infections could be reduced by 8%

Takes no time to set up

Downloaded it today, guess we just scan the QR code anywhere we go right?

This all relies on people entering their positive tests into the app, without wishing to offend anyone here, and those that are over say 60 and tech friendly fair play to you, but how many will just not get it?

I know my missus parents have iPhones but they need reminding how to use Touch ID most weeks. 

Then you have the younger crowd, again, no disrespect but probably can't be bothered, think it's just a load of rubbish.

Would love to see the stats but I suspect 30-50 would be the most active age range using this app.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Downloaded it today, guess we just scan the QR code anywhere we go right?

This all relies on people entering their positive tests into the app, without wishing to offend anyone here, and those that are over say 60 and tech friendly fair play to you, but how many will just not get it?

I know my missus parents have iPhones but they need reminding how to use Touch ID most weeks. 

Then you have the younger crowd, again, no disrespect but probably can't be bothered, think it's just a load of rubbish.

Would love to see the stats but I suspect 30-50 would be the most active age range using this app.

Yea it's not a perfect solution, but it helps?

All these things we do with social distancing, tracking and tracing and testing are all marginal improvements that will help save some lives and reduce cases.

Every little helps imo.

Apparently the qr codes are dodgy atm, one I tried earlier didn't work. Not sure if this is app or qr generation, didn't have time to check.

The Bluetooth bit is more important, alerting people who have been near one another but may not realise or be easily traceable

2 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Yea it's not a perfect solution, but it helps?

All these things we do with social distancing, tracking and tracing and testing are all marginal improvements that will help save some lives and reduce cases.

Every little helps imo.

Apparently the qr codes are dodgy atm, one I tried earlier didn't work. Not sure if this is app or qr generation, didn't have time to check.

The Bluetooth bit is more important, alerting people who have been near one another but may not realise or be easily traceable

Oh definitely, installed it myself and will get the missus to as well, we will do our bit, no reason not to if we can.

And if anyone is worried about privacy, throw your phones in the bin and cancel your internet packages.

Archived