Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm sorry I don't agree with the government's plan. It's reckless. 

Not having any medical knowledge, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree. Much like you, assuming you aren't a medical expert. The Chief Medical Officer's phased plan seems sensible to me. 

31 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh but it's a secret and I won't feel important if I tell you.

Exactly that. They're getting a dozen or so calls per day and you know people will say they have things if they're panicking and just want testing.

I get the logic, A "secret" symptom helps them easily bin off all the people who are flooding the phone lines but don't have CV

I just don't quite understand why that is a better approach than saying "unless you have the (no longer) secret symptom - then don't call us - it's not CV"

Doesn't the latter approach ease the burden on the health service more?

I'm no fan of Boris Johnson but the logic they're giving makes a lot of sense. My only question is, why is Denmark, who I believe are at a similar stage, in lockdown? Surely one of us is right and one of us is wrong? Or do the Danish government think the Danish people are more likely to adhere to the rules for longer than the Brits?

9 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Well it seems to be about delaying but I can't see how the policies they've come out with today actually aligns with the goal of delaying the outbreak. 

That's because you (I assume) like nearly all of us on this forum are not experts.

6 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Well it seems to be about delaying but I can't see how the policies they've come out with today actually aligns with the goal of delaying the outbreak. 

Then play the press conference back again because the scientists explain very clearly why the action they are taking gives us the best chance of lowering the peak and delaying the peak period to allow public services to cope best and to maximise the population's ability to cope with the restrictions that are coming. They are saying that there is no stopping the spread of the virus and increased numbers but there is the possibility of reducing the impact and the numbers. 

21 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Perhaps because you aren’t a virologist, medical historian or experienced in husbanding resources in nationwide civic services. ? 

if you are managing something you have to allow those doing it to excercise their skill and knowledge. I am not saying blind obedience or that “they” shouldn’t be questioned but at a certain point you have to let the system do it’s thing. .... Or rush out and buy bog paper 

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

no offence but, are you a medical expert or received advice directly from medical experts? Maybe you are/have

26 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Not having any medical knowledge, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree. Much like you, assuming you aren't a medical expert. The Chief Medical Officer's phased plan seems sensible to me. 

12 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Then play the press conference back again because the scientists explain very clearly why the action they are taking gives us the best chance of lowering the peak and delaying the peak period to allow public services to cope best and to maximise the population's ability to cope with the restrictions that are coming. They are saying that there is no stopping the spread of the virus and increased numbers but there is the possibility of reducing the impact and the numbers. 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That's because you (I assume) like nearly all of us on this forum are not experts.

Well I hope the government is right and all other European governments are wrong in their approach. 

Personally it seems like business as usual and react rather than being proactive regardless of the threat. 

22 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I get the logic, A "secret" symptom helps them easily bin off all the people who are flooding the phone lines but don't have CV

I just don't quite understand why that is a better approach than saying "unless you have the (no longer) secret symptom - then don't call us - it's not CV"

Doesn't the latter approach ease the burden on the health service more?

I didn't say it can't be coronavirus without this symptom. I honestly have no idea. I will ask though.

Just for triage purposes if a person has it, it moves them from being possible to probable because it's not consistant with a cold or flu.

There's also don't want people to panic.

Except Trump.

He's panicking.

19 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm no fan of Boris Johnson but the logic they're giving makes a lot of sense. My only question is, why is Denmark, who I believe are at a similar stage, in lockdown? Surely one of us is right and one of us is wrong? Or do the Danish government think the Danish people are more likely to adhere to the rules for longer than the Brits?

I honestly don’t think this is about Boris or party ideology .. this is simply management of an unprecedented public health issue. It would almost not matter who was in charge. Any government with any integrity would be working with the medics in the first case and other institutions to balance as best they can the hundreds of variables involved from loss of life, societal disruption, resource management, the behaviour of the mass of the population which is unpredictable and nothing to do with what party you vote for or you left/right political stance. ..... consider ... you could say . “Let’s have a Strategy to minimise death and infection from corona virus”  ... now if in doing that a load of people starve or get in to street fights or the NHS can’t do other life saving ops .. well that’s ok because they didn’t actually die from the disease. .. .. The big picture is hugely complicated, there isn’t an instruction manual and even if there was it wouldn’t be written in left and right wing econo/ideological terms

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I honestly don’t think this is about Boris or party ideology .. this is simply management of an unprecedented public health issue. It would almost not matter who was in charge. Any government with any integrity would be working with the medics in the first case and other institutions to balance as best they can the hundreds of variables involved from loss of life, societal disruption, resource management, the behaviour of the mass of the population which is unpredictable and nothing to do with what party you vote for or you left/right political stance. ..... consider ... you could say . “Let’s have a Strategy to minimise death and infection from corona virus”  ... now if in doing that a load of people starve or get in to street fights or the NHS can’t do other life saving ops .. well that’s ok because they didn’t actually die from the disease. .. .. The big picture is hugely complicated, there isn’t an instruction manual and even if there was it wouldn’t be written in left and right wing econo/ideological terms

Oh I wasn't implying it's a party political issue. Really, it was a rather begrudging "unlike usual, I haven't really got anything that I can disagree with him on here". I agree that any government would be following the scientific advice, although ideology may affect factors such as statutory sick pay extensions and the like.

12 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Well I hope the government is right and all other European governments are wrong in their approach. 

Personally it seems like business as usual and react rather than being proactive regardless of the threat. 

You obvious didn’t hear the virologist suggesting that out doors in ultraviolet light and fresh air, even in a football stadium with 1000’s the risks are way lower than being in a warm fuggy pub with half a dozen mates

Proactive ? .. this suggests that there is a book with proven successful measures to be taken that can be applied on a national scale .. no there isn’t .. there are ideas that some are trying ... no guarantee that any strategy is the right one. .. so proactive actually means “let’s try that and see if it works” ... which is what we are doing and other nations are doing 

I dunno I hope they're right im just surprised at this (in)action. 

Trouble is that many organisations won't take action unless it's clear from government.

I seriously doubt people are going to stop going to work because they've been coughing the last couple of days.

5 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I seriously doubt people are going to stop going to work because they've been coughing the last couple of days.

Good point .. and that’s the thing .. they can take lots of action, make all sorts of decrees but in the end it is about getting people on board.

Even if there was a perfect solution from a technical POV .. you still have to get the people to comply and as we live in a free (ish) society then plans of action have to reflect that and actually be workable. 

Archived