Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At my place, we've all been at home since 17th March. One of my colleagues has had a cough for the whole of April and it's just starting to go. Her bf has just started with the cough now though.  They are both getting tested today as he is essential worker.

Interesting to see what their results are. If they are positive, then how long will could her bf be contagious for? Could be weeks and weeks to just pass between 2 people in lockdown.

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

At my place, we've all been at home since 17th March. One of my colleagues has had a cough for the whole of April and it's just starting to go. Her bf has just started with the cough now though.  They are both getting tested today as he is essential worker.

Interesting to see what their results are. If they are positive, then how long will could her bf be contagious for? Could be weeks and weeks to just pass between 2 people in lockdown.

There was anecdotal evidence that it could be as long as 4 weeks or more incubation period. 

A potential coronavirus vaccine being trialled by UK researchers will be rapidly produced in vast numbers if it proves effective.

A not-for-profit partnership was announced between Oxford University, which is leading the trials, and UK-based pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca.

It guarantees large-scale production of the vaccine — and “early access” for Britons.

Not sure exactly what this means.  Hope it doesn't mean that Johnson and Johnson are funding most of the research now, so any vaccine will be shipped up and heading out from Liverpool to New York on a big boat before anyone else has access to some.

I wish this cornavirus go away and people loved ones stop dieing and then football and Derby county can come back but sadly people loved ones that sadly not in there familys anymore but can start to greath as family can give each others hugs again and this lockdown to go away.

19 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A potential coronavirus vaccine being trialled by UK researchers will be rapidly produced in vast numbers if it proves effective.

A not-for-profit partnership was announced between Oxford University, which is leading the trials, and UK-based pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca.

It guarantees large-scale production of the vaccine — and “early access” for Britons.

Not sure exactly what this means.  Hope it doesn't mean that Johnson and Johnson are funding most of the research now, so any vaccine will be shipped up and heading out from Liverpool to New York on a big boat before anyone else has access to some.

Not sure why they would be funded by Johnson and Johnson given, from what I can see, it's a partnership between AstraZeneca (a Swedish-UK company with a revenue of $24billion in 2019), and the research is taking place at Oxford University where the research is partly funded by £20m government funding.

Johnson and Johnson are a rival pharmaceutical company that seem to be funding separate research in the US. 

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not sure why they would be funded by Johnson and Johnson given, from what I can see, it's a partnership between AstraZeneca (a Swedish-UK company with a revenue of $24billion in 2019), and the research is taking place at Oxford University where the research is partly funded by £20m government funding.

Johnson and Johnson are a rival pharmaceutical company that seem to be funding separate research in the US. 

Yes, your right . I'm thinking of Curevac. I am still a bit concerned about the 'earliest oppurtunity' bit.  It could mean as soon as trials are over or as soon as it's been used elsewhere.  I'd like further clarification at some point.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes, your right . I'm thinking of Curevac. I am still a bit concerned about the 'earliest oppurtunity' bit.  It could mean as soon as trials are over or as soon as it's been used elsewhere.  I'd like further clarification at some point.

I think the lock down is getting to you mate and you're getting a bit paranoid (can't say that I blame you).

I doubt very much if you'll get such clarification and I would imagine a lot depends on 1) who develops the vaccine (so let's hope it AZ given their UK links) and 2) where it's manufactured

Deep down, I don't think we'll be bottom of the pile as you fear but, we may be joint top with a whole host of other countries. The best hope is that a number of companies across the globe come up with a vaccine at pretty much the same time. That way, J&J  and others may take care of the US market (no doubt bleach based) 

On 29/04/2020 at 18:59, Coolascustard said:

Some lessons here.  Germany are often cited as a great example but there’s a warning about going too soon.  We all want some sort of lifting of restrictions but go too soon and it may be a case of starting again.  This is a bit like doing DIY - measure twice, cut once!!

Does this advice help me with painting the kitchen? ?

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Treat own people first and then ship it out to rest of the world.

This is a tough one B4. Should we put healthy UK citizens before vulnerable people around the world or at least find a way to share the vaccines if produced here? Flip this around, if a US company gets the first vaccine to market, how will you feel if they say we are treating all 300 Americans first before sharing it?

If the vaccine does work, I'd like to think the major pharmaceuticals around the world can agree some element to share production so it can be mass produced by multiple companies. Corporate greed will play a part which is sad over people's lives but some things are more important than money.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I heard a scientist dude last night saying Stage 1 trials have started, somewhere around 300 people. All going well Stage 2 around 2000-2500 people could start September and if all still going well maybe late 2020 but early 2021 would still be unbelivably good.

37 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This is a tough one B4. Should we put healthy UK citizens before vulnerable people around the world or at least find a way to share the vaccines if produced here? Flip this around, if a US company gets the first vaccine to market, how will you feel if they say we are treating all 300 Americans first before sharing it?

If the vaccine does work, I'd like to think the major pharmaceuticals around the world can agree some element to share production so it can be mass produced by multiple companies. Corporate greed will play a part which is sad over people's lives but some things are more important than money.

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what America will do or any other country for that matter.

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Treat own people first and then ship it out to rest of the world.

A bit harsh mate, hopefully once they get past stage 3 trials they will share with the rest of the world a bit along the lines of the internet when it started.

Archived