Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nothing to do with politics, I've said the Government have made mistakes but until I know what advice they were acting upon, who am I decide if they have made wrong decisions  or not.

It's worth bearing in mind that both Sweden and Germany have about double the number of single person residences than the UK.

If you're going home to no one, you're not spreading the disease unwittingly.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's worth bearing in mind that both Sweden and Germany have about double the number of single person residences than the UK.

Do they? That’s quite interesting. Based upon the number of tests carried out in Germany I’m not convinced it has spread that much even though they locked down about the same time as us. They must be banking on a vaccine. However even their deaths have gone up recently.

15 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Interesting stat.

Got to say going through divorce has definitely had its advantages in the last couple of months ?

4 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Do they? That’s quite interesting. Based upon the number of tests carried out in Germany I’m not convinced it has spread that much even though they locked down about the same time as us. They must be banking on a vaccine. However even their deaths have gone up recently.

They reckon the overall infection rate in Germany is still less than 5% at this time.

One theory why the death rate is so much lower is that the virus was initially brought into the country by a group of skiers on holiday in north Italy and they infected lots of people at the Shrovetide carnival in Cologne and Heinsberg - all of these people are in the fit 20-50 age group.

However, in Italy many people live in extended families with the older generation in the same house and so the old and vulnerable were also infected in the first wave.

These differences will iron themselves out as the virus spreads through the population. There is still a very long way to go.

22 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

They reckon the overall infection rate in Germany is still less than 5% at this time.

One theory why the death rate is so much lower is that the virus was initially brought into the country by a group of skiers on holiday in north Italy and they infected lots of people at the Shrovetide carnival in Cologne and Heinsberg - all of these people are in the fit 20-50 age group.

However, in Italy many people live in extended families with the older generation in the same house and so the old and vulnerable were also infected in the first wave.

These differences will iron themselves out as the virus spreads through the population. There is still a very long way to go.

The Germans isolated and tested that ski party and others who'd been to high-risk areas etc., whilst we invited 3,000 Madrid residents to Liverpool and 250,000 racegoers to Cheltenham.

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

The Germans isolated and tested that ski party and others who'd been to high-risk areas etc., whilst we invited 3,000 Madrid residents to Liverpool and 250,000 racegoers to Cheltenham.

And number of infections and deaths here was virtually none.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Yes, lower than us but, not massively. Assuming we’re comparing apples with apples as to which deaths are included, our deaths per million of population is 267 whereas Sweden is 192. Norway, where I believe the lock down is much more severe than Sweden, the deaths per million is a low as 34.

I’m still convinced population density is a factor and both these countries densities are much much lower than the U.K. So, I’m not sure it’s entirely reasonable to compare us with Sweden (Germany yes) but you may be able to compare Sweden with Norway.

I don't disagree. But the national population density comparisons being made are flawed. Between 2/3 and 3/4 of Sweden has a population density of less than 10 per square KM. Towns and cities in most nations have similar population densities. Stockholm in Sweden for example, has a population density of 4,800 per square KM while London is less at 4,542. 

Characteristics-of-the-study-area-Sweden

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

They did test them eventually for study by the University of Bonn only a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't isolate them because it was too long after the event.

Who can deny the business genius of this man?

“I bought millions of doses (of hydroxychloroquine). More than 29 million. I spoke to Prime Minister Modi, a lot of it (hydroxychloroquine) comes out of India. I asked him if he would release it? He was great. He was really good,” Mr. Trump told Sean Hannity of the Fox News on Monday night.

In case it hasn't been reported in the UK as heavily, a report that published yesterday suggests that not only does it not work, but it could be harmful.

Last month Trump bought oil just before the price collapsed and this month he corners the world market on hydroxychloroquine with zero proof that it cures COVID-19 only to find out it probably doesn't.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/more-than-29-million-hydroxychloroquine-doses-bought-by-us-have-come-from-india-says-president-trump/article31286633.ece

download (1).jpeg

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

Don't forget that half marathon with about 7000 sweating heavy breathing runners that went ahead that weekend and the Stereophonics concert with 12,000 that one of Scotlands key decision makers was happy for his wife too attend.

19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

“I bought millions of doses (of hydroxychloroquine). More than 29 million. I spoke to Prime Minister Modi, a lot of it (hydroxychloroquine) comes out of India. I asked him if he would release it? He was great. He was really good,” Mr. Trump told Sean Hannity of the Fox News on Monday night.

In case it hasn't been reported in the UK as heavily, a report that published yesterday suggests that not only does it not work, but it could be harmful.

Last month Trump bought oil just before the price collapsed and this month he corners the world market on hydroxychloroquine with zero proof that it cures COVID-19 only to find out it probably doesn't.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/more-than-29-million-hydroxychloroquine-doses-bought-by-us-have-come-from-india-says-president-trump/article31286633.ece

download (1).jpeg

The price he paid for Stormy Daniels was a little on the high side too.

7 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

download (1).jpeg

On a positive note malaria is a thing of the past in the US and the Whitehouse will not get cold this winter.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

download (1).jpeg

He's a stable genius. 

9 hours ago, Uptherams said:

I don't disagree. But the national population density comparisons being made are flawed. Between 2/3 and 3/4 of Sweden has a population density of less than 10 per square KM. Towns and cities in most nations have similar population densities. Stockholm in Sweden for example, has a population density of 4,800 per square KM while London is less at 4,542. 

Characteristics-of-the-study-area-Sweden

Valid point. However, Stockholm has a population of less than a million whereas London’s is over seven million. So, very close together, London has the equivalent of seven Stockholms. So, if you’re in that high density area of in Stockholm perhaps it’s easier to get a little further away from others. I wonder what the rate in Stockholm is and if the rates for the more rural areas is bringing their figures down. Like the US for example. Their national rate is low but the rate in New York State is horrendous. Standard of living/living accommodation as well as ethnicity also seem to be factors but I don’t know what it’s like in Stockholm.

I think the only thing we can say is that it is very difficult to compare different countries as there are so many variables. As I said earlier though, Sweden’s mortality rate per million, whilst better than ours, isn’t massively better unlike Germany, Norway, S Korea and China (assuming they’re figures can be believed).

All I am trying to do is express caution before anyone jumps to the conclusion that because lock down conditions in Sweden are more relaxed than the U.K. w should relax ours here.

40 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Why are people moaning about NHS staff posting dancing videos?

Because they apparently don't have the time to treat cancer patients but do to rehearse a dance for TikTok.

It doesn't look great. They should just get their heads down at work.

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

Because they apparently don't have the time to treat cancer patients but do to rehearse a dance for TikTok.

It doesn't look great. They should just get their heads down at work.

I know you must be joking but I'll take the bait anyway for those that think you're being serious and agree.

I doubt anyone can really question the hard work put in by all of our NHS staff. If they take a few minutes out to put together something to lighten the mood a little and provide them with some light relief then, that's OK with me.

Archived