Max Lowe Racial Stereotyping

DarkFruitsRam7

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

With due respect are you really qualified to make that call? I'd politely suggest as someone who is mixed race that perhaps having other people decide what is hurtful and what isn't on my behalf is not terribly helpful, likewise whether moves to try and reduce casual or overt racism are preferable to none at all.

You assume what you don't know. You have no idea what I have or haven't had to endure not being a WASP. Carry on though mate.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sounds like you have been treated reasonably fairly then for the accepted social norms at the time.

Might be a different story for the boy who was repeatedly sodomised by the randy PE teacher, or the scared girl who was constantly groped by those cheeky boys much older than her, or the black kid who was constantly stopped and search by the friendly racist local bobby who turned a blind eye when some local lads kicked the kids head in for dating a white girl, or the gay lad who was forced to live through years of taunting and abuse for being different until he tried to kill himself.

This sort of stuff used to happen back in the glory days of which you speak. Clearly you and many other people would not condone this sort of behaviour but it all happened and no one did much about it.

If a slight downside to trying to prevent this sort of thing means a few people feel they can't be quite as open in how they speak to others, or occasionally their language is judged in harsher terms than they might have meant, then this is surely a price worth paying.

Very well made points and I agree with you that those things are rightfully being seen as unacceptable these days, however I don't fully agree with your last point. Its not as black and white as that, as it is today young people such as my self are being radicalised towards highly left wing perspectives that could see offence, sexual prejudice and discrimination in the colour of a loaf of bread , this is especially the case in social sciences at Universities. I do Human Geography and in certain modules we are force fed radical Marxist perspectives and a lot of the focus is upon discrimination this , prejudice that with little to no empirical evidence and we are just sought of expected to follow along with that sort of thought.  If young people become brainwashed and this is how society becomes we could loose freedom of speech to a large extent and move towards a world where you can't say anything and the idea that we are all equal is forced down your throat, even though we are clearly not.  

There are already numerous examples of freedom of speech being under threat, in cases like you said I would support punishment for racist or discriminatory behaviour  but when it go's to far and it could do eventually and we loose fundamental rights then I wouldn't support it. Hard to draw a line and say what is to far, but at the current rate we could eventually go over that line over the years. To clarify, in this case sacking Ramage is the right decision but he should definitely not be vilified, it is an example of subconscious racism I think but I can't be sure as you never know he could have meant it but I doubt it, he should be forced to go on a education programme instead of being villainised  as a racist.

16 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

... I'd politely suggest as someone who is mixed race ...

...I've a thicker skin than most ?

Can I go first?

What with your name, and your own personal description, I reckon half Dutch, Half Rhino?  ?‍♂️

?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You what? So I call your 'race card' and you tell me to 'grow up'?! Yeah I've had that kind of poo all my life. Minorities aye? Where's your empathy?

You call my race card? OK mate. Whatever. I think you've made yourself pretty clear to all and sundry. 

3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Very well made points and I agree with you that those things are rightfully being seen as unacceptable these days, however I don't fully agree with your last point. Its not as black and white as that, as it is today young people such as my self are being radicalised towards highly left wing perspectives that could see offence, sexual prejudice and discrimination in the colour of a loaf of bread , this is especially the case in social sciences at Universities. I do Human Geography and in certain modules we are force fed radical Marxist perspectives and a lot of the focus is upon discrimination this , prejudice that with little to no empirical evidence and we are just sought of expected to follow along with that sort of thought.  If young people become brainwashed and this is how society becomes we could loose freedom of speech to a large extent and move towards a world where you can't say anything and the idea that we are all equal is forced down your throat, even though we are clearly not.  

There are already numerous examples of freedom of speech being under threat, in cases like you said I would support punishment for racist or discriminatory behaviour  but when it go's to far and it could do eventually and we loose fundamental rights then I wouldn't support it. Hard to draw a line and say what is to far, but at the current rate we could eventually go over that line over the years.

I would guess that your experience of been force fed radical Marxism at university is rather unusual, especially as this is done without any supporting evidence. I was also unaware there was such a link between Marxism and discrimination/prejudice. I thought Marxism was mostly about class, but I could well of got that wrong.

I work in a highly diverse place that should be full of millennial snowflakes taking offence at everything. But in my experience, that sort of thing hardly ever happens in the real world. 

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You call my race card? OK mate. Whatever. I think you've made yourself pretty clear to all and sundry. 

So you're more sensitive and deserving of sympathy than those of us who say we know what it is to suffer discrimination. Nice.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So you're more sensitive and deserving of sympathy than those of us who say we know what it is to suffer discrimination. Nice.

That's not what I've said but think what you want. For the very little I think it's worth, your sympathy appears nowhere on my wish list at all. I fight my own corner and folk like you don't bother me one iota. 

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

For the very little I think it's worth, your sympathy appears nowhere on my wish list at all. I fight my own corner and folk like you don't bother me one iota. 

Nice. You fight your own corner then mate, I hope others help me and mine.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I would guess that your experience of been force fed radical Marxism at university is rather unusual, especially as this is done without any supporting evidence. I was also unaware there was such a link between Marxism and discrimination/prejudice. I thought Marxism was mostly about class, but I could well of got that wrong.

I work in a highly diverse place that should be full of millennial snowflakes taking offence at everything. But in my experience, that sort of thing hardly ever happens in the real world. 

Its not that unusual I think if you do subjects like Human Geography and Sociology probably is rare in other areas though,  Marxism is about class relations and capitalist production systems and how they exploit workers mainly, but then it is always linked to things like sex and race as well in my experience of  Geography at Uni.  I wouldn't  mind some of the ideas if they were well balanced and talked about a lot of different perspectives, but annoys me when every things seems so one sided and without recognition of other ideas. Social media such as Twitter which I don't use , is also full of propaganda and manipulation of information from both sides but it is mainly left wing due to the amount of young people that use it.

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Love how some folk on here are so acutely sensitive about their right to be insensitive, yet seemingly completely ambivalent to the feelings of others. There are many who have suffered racist abuse their entire lives so forgive me for thinking that people having to rein in their language and casual observations on other peoples' appearances are not the 'victims' here.

I'm sure it was only yesterday that you accused me of trying to make this thread 'all about me'....

6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

No assumption made there, eh Roy! 

Anyone else you want to lash out at while you're at it? 

Same assumptions you made mate - lash away. You started all this 'I've been discriminated against no-one knows how it is'!

Archived