What a stinker of a year

MackworthRamIsGod

In the grand scheme of things, it as been a pretty poor season so far. 

After losing at Wembley, we then lose Frank, Cocu arrives during a poorly times/arranged pre-season tour to the states, we have the excitement of signing Rooney, only to be told he cannot play until Jan. We have the excitement of the final days of the transfer window, will it be Ramsalaar, will it be Ibe? Nope, it was Paterson. 

Gibson of Boro forces the EFA to investigate Derby over the stadium sale (as yet to be decided), negative press follows.

Wayne Rooney deal brings controversy over 32Red, another investigation begins, negative press follows.

Keogh, Bennett and Lawrence then bring shame on the club, Keogh our captain sustains a serious career threatening injury. Fans call for all 3 to be sacked and to never play for the club again. The press praise Derby and Cocu for the way they handled the situation. That was until Lawrence and Bennett played the very next game against Barnsley, negative press follows.

Keogh is sacked. Keogh takes Derby to a tribunal (decision not yet decided).

Huddlestone suffers injury against Barnsley, out for 2 months.

Clarke suffers injury, out for 2 months.

Evan's injury, out for months.

Bennett injury, made of glass.

Marriott, Tiger Woods' caddy

Positivity surrounds new investment, due by the end of year, it doesnt materialise, players are paid late, negative press follows.

Bielek now out for months and agent negative against Derby.

I'm struggling to remember a season in the 25 years I've followed the Rams that was as turbulent as this, the second season under the 3 amigos was up there. Anyone remember a season like this?

All of the negativity this season, the bad luck that Cocs has had to endure and yet we are 8 points from the playoffs. Imagine if we had a fully fit squad and was free of all the drama.

Sorry, and now to add to the disastrous year, I've gone and put this in the wrong place. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

After losing at Wembley, we then lose Frank, Cocu arrives during a poorly times/arranged pre-season tour to the states, we have the excitement of signing Rooney, only to be told he cannot play until Jan. We have the excitement of the final days of the transfer window, will it be Ramsalaar, will it be Ibe? Nope, it was Paterson. 

Gibson of Boro forces the EFA to investigate Derby over the stadium sale (as yet to be decided), negative press follows.

Wayne Rooney deal brings controversy over 32Red, another investigation begins, negative press follows.

Keogh, Bennett and Lawrence then bring shame on the club, Keogh our captain sustains a serious career threatening injury. Fans call for all 3 to be sacked and to never play for the club again. The press praise Derby and Cocu for the way they handled the situation. That was until Lawrence and Bennett played the very next game against Barnsley, negative press follows.

Positivity surrounds new investment, due by the end of year, it doesnt materialise, players are paid late, negative press follows.

I'm struggling to remember a season in the 25 years I've followed the Rams that was as turbulent as this, the second season under the 3 amigos was up there. Anyone remember a season like this?

All of the negativity this season, the bad luck that Cocs has had to endure and yet we are 8 points from the playoffs. Imagine if we had a fully fit squad and was free of all the drama.

Sorry, and now to add to the disastrous year, I've gone and put this in the wrong place. 

You failed to mention the disaster that is those youth players getting so much game time as well. 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

But apart from that, not bad!

For the most part, you're correct. I wouldn't get drawn in by the negative press, let's be honest as if anyone outside of Nottingham, Leeds or Derby actually gives us a second thought. 

The loss at Wembley, which many almost expected at the time, led to an unsettled summer. Lampard left, unexpected for me so early into his career, the loss of the loan players - Tomori, Wilson & Mount - and such laberous '48 hour' seemingly never ending saga. It stopped everything. It ate up far too much time. 

Cocu comes in, which is an extremely positive move on the face of it. He's got a legacy of developing young players and building/influencing the building of title winning sides. He signs a long contract and brings in his own men. 

He's governed largely by our existing scouting and recruitment team, in come: Shinnie, Bielik, Dowell, Clarke, Hamer, Paterson with the Rooney transfer in January. I think the most optimistic Derby fan was left a little bit bemused considering the talent that left the building. Dowell, really, being the only signing that looked like he could add a creative spark based on his performances in this league. Unfortunately, he proved to be utterly useless. 

We start the season in disappointing form, although not tragic, but we're the subject to off the field drama. Keogh, comfortably our best player, is retired by an out-of-work incident that involves two other players. Fortunately, they're still able to play football - to a point. 

Positive news comes out that we're close to investment, yet I have reservations about the seriousness of the entire situation and what benefit the club is actually going to get. Morris is clearly reigning in his spending, highlighting the requirement to play the youth and not sign players. I think the writing is on the wall that this whole investment, fronted by a hedge fund with limited personal wealth, is no game changer. 

Rooney has given us a bit of a lift, as have the youth players making their presence felt, but we still need a hell of a lot more. 

The title says "year".  The first line says "season".

Both appear to be in the singular.

You mention Wembley, so are clearly overlapping 2 seasons.

You mention the present Bielek injury and late wages, so are clearly overlapping 2 years.

Either I'm very confused, or you are looking for more problems than is healthy!  Chill, dude!

Unfortunately you either didn't choose to read and posted a funny remark, go you!, or missed the point.

The fact is, we as fans and the club, Mel and Cocu have had to endure a shed load of bad things during the last '8 months', and yet, despite that, we find ourselves only 8 points from the top 6.

Shows how fragile people are nowadays where they cannot bare to read anything negative without freaking out.

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We have the excitement of the final days of the transfer window, will it be Ramsalaar, will it be Ibe? Nope, it was Paterson. 

Stopped reading here. You do that to yourself, same in every transfer window, go all giddy over the weakest of rumours from any bedroom blogger and think we are looking to sign them, throwing the recruitment team under the bus when they don’t happen. 

If that’s part of why it’s been a stinker of a season or year, which ever you’re running with I’d say it’s not been that bad at all then.

I’m not sure whether the players are aware of fora like this but isn’t the job of fans to support the team through thick and thin and to help them through seasons like this?

Each game is a new beginning and the opportunity of three points.

We are on a good run. Injuries happen. Not all transfers work.

Enjoy the football and relish the wins.

It has been crap hasn't it. It's not so bad if you mostly enjoyed the last few years but if you spent the good times moaning about an away draw here and there then this must really be that push off a cliff.

8 points off the Play Offs is a long way when so many teams are between you and it. If we were 7th and 8 points off then I could find belief. But not only are we asking to make up 8 points just to catch 6th but we are also asking several teams above us (above us for better results) to not make up their gaps. 

Anyway, I don't mind this season being a bit pants so long as I can see a future. I kind of can but then we go out and put on a very negative performance. 

Quite often it's taken a long time to register a shot. Our pass accuracy  and attempted in the final third is sometimes laughably bad

Then we go and put in a performance full of guts and graft with a sprinkle of quality. 

Rams fans make me laugh though. Maybe it's all fans. But if Derby are 2nd in the league and draw to 20th... we should be smashing teams like this. We won't get promoted like that. Yet if Derby are 18th and draw to 20th.... good point, only 7 points off the play offs.

I get that it's all relative just find it slightly amusing. 

But I'll be glad when the season is over tbh and Cocu can reflect and kick on. I expect much improvement next season.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Unfortunately you either didn't choose to read and posted a funny remark, go you!, or missed the point.

The fact is, we as fans and the club, Mel and Cocu have had to endure a shed load of bad things during the last '8 months', and yet, despite that, we find ourselves only 8 points from the top 6.

Shows how fragile people are nowadays where they cannot bare to read anything negative without freaking out.

(Assuming that was aimed at me... despite the lack of a quote)...

1/  You are correct.  In amongst all the doom and gloom (of your opening post), despite physically reading it, I did indeed "fail to see" the positive slant of your post, namely the comment about us being only 8 points off Play-Offs despite everything.  I should concentrate more.  You have me Bang to rights!

2/  My previous post (to which you refer) was probably the first on here where I have made no attempt at a funny remark.  Either you chose not to read it properly, or you missed the point!

3/  I haven't witnessed anyone "freaking out", so cannot comment.

4/  Whilst I wouldn't describe myself as "fragile" regarding DCFC-related negativity, I do believe I know where the importance of DCFC lies, within my own life, and all things considered, it's not that high.  My own view is that things ain't all that bad, here in DCFC land.  They could certainly be a lot worse.  I appreciate many folk take a different outlook on life (and their football club), and I appreciate I may not be considered a full fan, in some peoples eyes.

5/ I say again unto thee, my friend... Chill, Dude!

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Yeh but this year (2020) we signed England's record goalscorer, have two young players breaking through and looking excellent, a bunch of the squad returning from injury, a manager who seems to have the faith of the owner and a squad who seems to be starting to get the hang of what the manager wants

We've been lucky to have a squad of players for a few years with a lot of talented individuals - Lampard especially but also (arguably) Rowett and Clement had a bunch of great individual players that they never really had playing a coherent system - We relied on the likes of Ince, Vydra, Mount and Wilson to bag goals from nowhere way too often

Yes - It's been a bit of a shocker with off field stuff and injuries but I'm feeling good about the way Cocu seems to be trying to get us to play - More about organised, disciplined team defence - And thoughtful, pass-and-move, find the space, running for each other, bursting into the spaces created, teamwork in the attacking half

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

So it was meant to be a positive outlook ??

I think that is where the problem is - most people missed that.

Archived