The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

28 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's certainly a strange one.

Maybe there have always been figures like Cummings in the background acting as advisors and setting agendas, just that this is the first time one has developed a public persona?

What I found realy disappointing was on The Last Leg on Friday they did a piece against Cummings that seemed to mainly focus on his strange fashion sense and his weird face/head. I couldn't care less what he looks like. We need to be watching what he does, not what he looks like

Know very little about the guy and am sure that he is not the first government adviser.

It's no coincidence that the main bashing of him is coming from the Remain biased media in my opinion.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Uptherams said:

I'd tolerate the price at this point if the timescale became more realistic. The length of time to complete this is absolutely outrageous. There are zero genuine reasons this couldn't be completed much sooner. It's always the same. The entire process will be severely inefficient, undermanned and under-machined. It's going to be very interesting to see what other transportation technological advancements and adoptions render this utterly daft. Let's see how much Elon Musk brings to mass market in that timespan... 

I have a feeling the cost is just going to keep going up and up …

Also I am waiting for the cosmic ticket prices when it is finally finished. I have a mental picture of big flashy trains speeding through the (trashed) landscape with nobody on them.

Interesting hearing Grant Schapps this morning talking about HS2 essentially putting the idea we can achieve it quicker with a can do attitude similar to the London Olympics of 2012. Without getting too much into the essential issues with HS2 I do think it shows where this Government is likely to fall down, in that it will attribute a ‘come on everybody, we’re British and we can make this work’ condescending attitude that will lose a lot of support, especially to controversial plans.

15 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That reply has no relevance to my post.

I showed an example of someone on the Right (not saying you do this) dreaming up a completely fictitious scenario and seeming to get wound up by it. You see similar on social media, with news organisation deliberately creating incendiary headlines featuring one absolute loony, and in the comments you'll see hundreds of middle-age blokes ranting about how it's a sign of how 'the snowflakes have taken over', that 'this country has gone to pot', etc. 

It wasn't a comment on the deeper issues that the two sides have, as your post appeared to indicate, but merely an observation of something that happens all the time.

I think I picked up somewhere on the forum that you are training to be a lawyer/solicitor.

I like reading your posts as they are thought out and well written ..

But I always feel slightly ill as I get the feeling I have just been charged £250 for reading it.

Good luck whatever.?

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Interesting hearing Grant Schapps this morning talking about HS2 essentially putting the idea we can achieve it quicker with a can do attitude similar to the London Olympics of 2012. Without getting too much into the essential issues with HS2 I do think it shows where this Government is likely to fall down, in that it will attribute a ‘come on everybody, we’re British and we can make this work’ condescending attitude that will lose a lot of support, especially to controversial plans.

But if we work late and Boris buys pizza I am sure it will be okay ...

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Know very little about the guy and am sure that he is not the first government adviser.

It's no coincidence that the main bashing of him is coming from the Remain biased media in my opinion.

Going by the noises coming out of the Cabinet office, it sounds as if he wants to do more than advice. He appears to want to be influential in the setting of major policy decisions, ministerial appointments and even the way civil servants run Whitehall.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok...

"Challenger bank N26 is closing accounts for UK customers on 15 April, blaming difficulties created by the Brexit process."

Challenger bank blamed Brexit, not the BBC. They quoted other people. 

Did they misquote anyone, or make up the comments? Or is that just what the right wing press did about the EU for the last few decades?

31 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Challenger bank blamed Brexit, not the BBC. They quoted other people. 

Did they misquote anyone, or make up the comments? Or is that just what the right wing press did about the EU for the last few decades?

Yes and the BBC should be challenging views blaming Brexit for things, not just re-quoting it and then finding another Remainer quoting something completely irrelevant as if to back the story up.

So McDonnell thinks there will be an exodus from the City despite this going against evidence available of the opposite happening.

If I said DCFC results have picked up recently and we are unbeaten since Brexit, would you expect the BBC to quote this? After all it's not an inaccurate quote is it?

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes and the BBC should be challenging views blaming Brexit for things, not just re-quoting it and then finding another Remainer quoting something completely irrelevant as if to back the story up.

So McDonnell thinks there will be an exodus from the City despite this going against evidence available of the opposite happening.

If I said DCFC results have picked up recently and we are unbeaten since Brexit, would you expect the BBC to quote this? After all it's not an inaccurate quote is it?

Well you weren't remotely fussed about press standards when Corbyn was getting smears left right and centre so excuse us if we find your delicate sensitivities laughable everytime you imagine a bias against your precious Brexit. You've got what you wanted so what do you care even if there are media articles presenting it in an unflattering light? Why not just enjoy this halcyon and prosperous new age you've been insisting is the net result instead of spitting out your dummy every 5 seconds? Isn't it us lefties that are meant to be the snowflakes?

And in other news, well news to Corbynites, Jeremy wasn't that well liked and won neither the argument nor the war;

https://news.sky.com/story/corbyn-and-brexit-to-blame-for-labours-defeat-according-to-poll-from-tory-peer-lord-ashcroft-11931076

Meanwhile, Labour leader candidate manages to alienate 50% of her voters...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51465800

#ExpellMe is trending on twitter

Without wanting to dwell on the topic to much, being unable to 'define a woman' played its part in Jo Swinson's downfall and without exploring the deeper ramifications of what they are signing up to Rebecca Long-Bailey and Lisa Nandy have signed up to a fringe activists cause and something their traditional voters have little time for.  

Are they even trying to replace the Tories at this point?

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Without wanting to dwell on the topic to much, being unable to 'define a woman' played its part in Jo Swinson's downfall and without exploring the deeper ramifications of what they are signing up to Rebecca Long-Bailey and Lisa Nandy have signed up to a fringe activists cause and something their traditional voters have little time for. 

It's certainly a brave move to even go there. One of the most nuanced and contentious issues in politics - not sure that it's a 50/50 split in opinion (unless you have evidence for that somewhere?). I think most people don't care and understand that trans rights are essentially human rights and don't have to think about it any more deeply. Those who want to aggressively argue the toss about gender/sex seem just as much fringe activists to me.

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's certainly a brave move to even go there. One of the most nuanced and contentious issues in politics - not sure that it's a 50/50 split in opinion (unless you have evidence for that somewhere?). I think most people don't care and understand that trans rights are essentially human rights and don't have to think about it any more deeply. Those who want to aggressively argue the toss about gender/sex seem just as much fringe activists to me.

I'd say that its upset a fair few women, not to mention men that are concerned about the issue on behalf of their wives/daughters etc.

For sure there is a discussion to be had, but to sign up to these things (and criminalise language and thoughts that were (are) perfectly reasonable a year or so ago) without having widespread debates is just gonna end up in being wiped out at the polls again as you just come across as virtue signalling loonies.  

17 minutes ago, maxjam said:

And in other news, well news to Corbynites, Jeremy wasn't that well liked and won neither the argument nor the war;

https://news.sky.com/story/corbyn-and-brexit-to-blame-for-labours-defeat-according-to-poll-from-tory-peer-lord-ashcroft-11931076

My concern is that this particular candidate doesn't seem to understand what the Labour party is and has always been - an amalgamation of all sorts of different views on the left.

This particular pronouncement along with the one at the weekend about not tolerating dissent in the party should make her unelectable as party leader (it won't) but will definitely make her unelectable as Prime Minister.

She's one of those interim opposition leaders like Kinnock or Howard or Duncan-Smith, who have no chance of winning an election because the governing party is so far ahead. They are all a result of their party having to get something off their chests.

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

My concern is that this particular candidate doesn't seem to understand what the Labour party is and has always been - an amalgamation of all sorts of different views on the left.

This particular pronouncement along with the one at the weekend about not tolerating dissent in the party should make her unelectable as party leader (it won't) but will definitely make her unelectable as Prime Minister.

She's one of those interim opposition leaders like Kinnock or Howard or Duncan-Smith, who have no chance of winning an election because the governing party is so far ahead. They are all a result of their party having to get something off their chests.

wrong tense - she ain't got the gig yet!

16 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'd agree with that, the far left extreme activists have a social media foothold in both the Democrats in the US and Labour in the UK - and they traditionally get nowhere near power.  This was a contributing factor in Labour being decimated at the last election and if as seems likely Bernie Sanders wins the Democrat nomination in the US a Trump landslide over there (imo, feel free to quote this back at me in November!)

In my humble opinion its one of these issues, probably the trans issue, that will either lead to both the Democrats and Labour splitting into two distinct parties or enough people becoming aware of the extreme identity politics crap and rejecting it - leading to more centrist leaders and policies becoming popular again. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Well you weren't remotely fussed about press standards when Corbyn was getting smears left right and centre so excuse us if we find your delicate sensitivities laughable everytime you imagine a bias against your precious Brexit. You've got what you wanted so what do you care even if there are media articles presenting it in an unflattering light? Why not just enjoy this halcyon and prosperous new age you've been insisting is the net result instead of spitting out your dummy every 5 seconds? Isn't it us lefties that are meant to be the snowflakes?

Glad you've sobered up.

53 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The fact they are getting bogged down in 'issues' shows how off the pace they are.

I don't give two ***** who the new leader is as long as they are competent, can connect with the electorate and are grounded in the real world.

There has to be an acceptance at some point as to how severely JC failed on all fronts, and how the whole Momentum thing is a pile of excrement.

2 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

The fact they are getting bogged down in 'issues' shows how off the pace they are.

I don't give two ***** who the new leader is as long as they are competent, can connect with the electorate and are grounded in the real world.

There has to be an acceptance at some point as to how severely JC failed on all fronts, and how the whole Momentum thing is a pile of excrement.

At the moment, the party seems to be saying that the problem was one of presentation, so we'll present it differently.

They are wrong.

Archived