The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Using Brexit is a cheap excuse, it's just a poor business model. 

But my point is it wasn't the BBC using Brexit as a reason at all. 

When Dyson moved out of the UK I recall the BBC repeating Dyson's "not because of Brexit" line but I don't recall them getting anyone in from an angle to say it's definitely because of Brexit. I presume you'd favour the fair and balanced BBC approaching some remainers for balance? 

Or maybe the BBC interview representatives from the company and give their side of the story? 

Just watching A Very British History about Irish immigration into Birmingham. 

They just showed a clip from a 1965 documentary. A bloke said, "well I think some of them are just coming over to scrounge. They should go back to Ireland "

Despite the fact they were enticed to fill labour shortages in construction. 

Have we always, as a people, had this reaction to immigration in large ish numbers? Seems very similar to the lines spouted by some recently. 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

They just showed a clip from a 1965 documentary. A bloke said, "well I think some of them are just coming over to scrounge. They should go back to Ireland "

Have we always, as a people, had this reaction to immigration in large ish numbers? Seems very similar to the lines spouted by some recently. 

Interviewing randoms on the street is such poor reporting. Glad to see it's not just a modern thing. By selecting and editing the interviews chosen for broadcast, you can pretty much tell any story.

But back to what you are saying, yes humans are such morons when it comes to people who are different to them.

I'm listening to the book Sapiens at the moment. Will be interesting to see what it says about this horrible trait. 

I know that we are soon to be commencing  trade deal negotiations with the EU.  Just need Johnson to decide the type of deal he wants to go for. A free trade without customs checks, a free trade with customs checks, a Canadian or an Australian type deal. I'm sure which ever one he goes with, will be a great deal.

I've yet to hear any  mention of when trade deal negotiations will get underway with the US. Thought the sooner they get started, the sooner they'll be a great deal done.

Though apparently the US have now reopened trade negotiations with the EU, which could mean a delay to any negotiations taking place between the US and the UK.

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

But my point is it wasn't the BBC using Brexit as a reason at all. 

When Dyson moved out of the UK I recall the BBC repeating Dyson's "not because of Brexit" line but I don't recall them getting anyone in from an angle to say it's definitely because of Brexit. I presume you'd favour the fair and balanced BBC approaching some remainers for balance? 

Or maybe the BBC interview representatives from the company and give their side of the story? 

So why was the bit about John McDonnell in the story exactly?

Meanwhile, having failed to get a "bob bunged for a Big Ben bong", the govt are having to stump up a further £18m to fix the clock tower, which takes the total projected spend to £80m up from an initial estimate of £29m.

So roughly a factor of 3 increase on a small(ish) project. Doesn't bode that well for the big numbers being tossed around for some of the big stuff. I know HS2 is already increased by orders of magnitude but theres a £39bn floating around for Northern Powerhouse Rail or something - how solid is that figure? Not forgetting 8bn for some new buses etc etc   

We could yet end up in a completely ironic situation of the Tory government running up mahoosive debts that need to be "sorted out" by austerity measures brought in by some future government of a different colour...... given that tax rises would be the alternative but as we are repeatedly told it is only nefarious figures like Gordon Brown who do that sort of thing.....

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Interviewing randoms on the street is such poor reporting. Glad to see it's not just a modern thing. By selecting and editing the interviews chosen for broadcast, you can pretty much tell any story.

I have a theory that all the TV news organisations (especially local TV) have a Vox Pop bingo game where they compete to get the most stupid & mildly racist people onto TV without generating complaints.

Extra points available for Facial tattoos, piercings & luminous hair.

10 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I have a theory that all the TV news organisations (especially local TV) have a Vox Pop bingo game where they compete to get the most stupid & mildly racist people onto TV without generating complaints.

Theory - it's obviously the truth! That's a new media guideline. Contentious stories/comments that polarise views, generate engagement - ratings/ad revenue

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You aren't tolerant. At all. 

Ok - allow me to have my moment of introspection. What am I intolerant of? I assume you think it's "some stuff" despite the "At all" - suggesting I have zero tolerance for anything (cos that's clearly not true)

I know I don't tolerate hate speech or bigotry very well, but then no one should. What else?

NB the answer "people who don't have the same views as you" is not really a proper answer, given that this is a thread for political debate, the whole point is to challenge others views. That's not exactly the same as intolerance is it? If I was intolerant of views I didn't agree with I just wouldn't post here. The very fact I persevere with this thread shows that I tolerate views I disagree with on an almost daily basis.

So what else?

14 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Lots of instances.

The Romans...Twice, The 1st instance Julius thought this land wasn't worth staying, Damp, Wet, Full of uneducated natives who painted their faces, 2nd time Claudius and his mob decided to stay for 360 years, Taking all our mud huts...really the cheek of it.

Then there was.

Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings, Normans, I remember talking to Nigel Clough about this, He said "they should go back to where they came from"

19 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Javid gone. Sounds like Boris and Cummings want total control over everyone. 

The writing was on the wall last week when the Mail was reporting that Javid was clashing with Cummings. So now we know who has won - who will the replacement be? Maybe they are checking with Hermann Göring's agent to see if he is free

Edit - so it's a first cabinet job for Rishi Sunak. Sounds like Boris is taking this positive discrimination seriously

https://politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/109876/boris-johnson-promote-female

Are heads exploding yet at the thought?

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

The writing was on the wall last week when the Mail was reporting that Javid was clashing with Cummings. So now we know who has won - who will the replacement be? Maybe they are checking with Hermann Göring's agent to see if he is free

Edit - so it's a first cabinet job for Rishi Sunak. Sounds like Boris is taking this positive discrimination seriously

https://politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/109876/boris-johnson-promote-female

Anyone. Chen, Petersen... I mean, Hermann Goering would have been more of a laugh than Sunek! I mean, ok, he was a drug-crazed transvestite, but at least we could have gone dancing!

red_dwarf_lister.jpg

18 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

What on earth are you rambling on about?    No wonder traditional Labour supporters vote Tory now.

23 minutes ago, cstand said:

What on earth are you rambling on about?    No wonder traditional Labour supporters vote Tory now.

The new tact that a few posters seem to have taken is sitting there foaming at the mouth, imagining that the 'other side' are getting really angry about things that we really couldn't give two hoots about.

They then go on to convince themselves how angry we have got and use try and use it against us in subsequent posts.

Quite funny to watch actually.

Archived