The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Normal people are way too involved in fighting the culture wars than to be interested in the chancellor resigning because an unelected advisor told him he has to sack all his staff and only do what he says.

Any evidence that it was this unelected advisor telling the chancellor he had to sack all his staff?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

But shouldn't the new roles be given to the most talented and not subject to any tokenism that might force a 50/50 gender split regardless of who is the most qualified? Pretty sure that was the message I heard on here before. Won't someone think about the poor overlooked men? The silence is killing me here brothers!

Your first sentence is correct.

Your second sentence is also correct.

Your third sentence applies when there is some sort of hypocrisy or forced outcome to meet 'diversity' requirements regardless of (in this instance) being the best person for the job.

Re. your forth sentence, and the general gist of the paragraph, whatever Boris did wouldn't be good enough for some people.  He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - so just another day then.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Normal people are way too involved in fighting the culture wars than to be interested in the chancellor resigning because an unelected advisor told him he has to sack all his staff and only do what he says.

I would have been interested if it had been any less than 4 weeks before probably the most important budget in a long time (being the last one before the Brexit transition period ends) - but as it's 4 weeks, then that seems plenty of time for an unexpectedly promoted junior minister with virtually no experience to work out what on earth is going on ?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I would have been interested if it had been any less than 4 weeks before probably the most important budget in a long time (being the last one before the Brexit transition period ends) - but as it's 4 weeks, then that seems plenty of time for an unexpectedly promoted junior minister with virtually no experience to work out what on earth is going on ?

I'm not aware of too many candidates out there with experience of being Chancellor of the Exchequer...

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not aware of too many candidates out there with experience of being Chancellor of the Exchequer...

What experience is needed by any new chancellor in a Johnson cabinet. As long as they can immediately say yes sir, when Cummins gives them an order, they'll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

What experience is needed by any new chancellor in a Johnson cabinet. As long as they can immediately say yes sir, when Cummins gives them an order, they'll be fine. 

No idea, I have very little insight into the inner workings of the cabinet.

You may well be right with your assumption.

Could be worse, he could have ex lovers in important positions despite being clearly incompetent, now that would be bad...

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Any evidence that it was this unelected advisor telling the chancellor he had to sack all his staff?

I have about the same amount of evidence that exists about the culture war.

I actually invented it, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to find the same theory online, hence prooving my guesswork.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No idea, I have very little insight into the inner workings of the cabinet.

You may well be right with your assumption.

Could be worse, he could have ex lovers in important positions despite being clearly incompetent, now that would be bad...

What! Which of the new ministers as Johnson been spaffing on in the past?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You spend an unhealthy amount of time talking about Diane Abbott's sex life old chap. Ah, well. Whatever floats your boat...

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

The normal everyday person is fed up of petty point scoring over so called culture wars.

Boris now has a Brexit supporting chancellor so will strengthen his position when negotiating with the EU because he needs the full support of his cabinet to convince the EU we are prepared for WTO rules if necessary. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, but plenty with actual experience of being a cabinet minister. Kind of makes sense to over-promote a rookie though. An experienced minister would refuse to be told what his budgetary policies are going to be ?

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

No, but plenty with actual experience of being a cabinet minister. Kind of makes sense to over-promote a rookie though. An experienced minister would refuse to be told what his budgetary policies are going to be ?

Just wondering how you get experience of being a cabinet minister if you shouldn't be promoted there because you've not got the experience?

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just wondering how you get experience of being a cabinet minister if you shouldn't be promoted there because you've not got the experience?

He is relatively inexperienced in ministerial duties. There is a "pecking order" whereby you serve time as a junior minister and usually as a parliamentary under secretary to a minister. And then not all ministers are in cabinet. 

Since rishi sunk was only elected as an mp in 2015 he has only served at a couple of these levels for c12 months instead of the more usual several years in different departments. 

In the cabinet pecking order, chancellor is one of the big 4 out of about 23. So it's some going to get that on the basis of a few months in a couple of relatively junior roles. As he has never been a minister before he has not managed a department budget. This is the basic unit of government power.

The suspicions are that he will be a patsy for Johnson and Cummings. Who will then not hesitate to throw him under a bus if it all goes tits up.

Archived