The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

9 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It doesn't matter that 48% wanted to remain, 100% of the country left.  If an independent channel wants to pretend Brexit didn't happen that would be up to them, as a public broadcast service the BBC doesn't have that option.  On the night we left the EU, they were imo under obligation to broadcast his address.  LIkewise, the next morning they were obligated to discuss the front pages, just as they do every other day not ignore them. 

A lot of people were unhappy with that particular episode of Horrible Histories;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/01/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-over-anti-british-horrible-histories-song

And Carl Benjamin dissects it quite well in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMGFqwr2pw

I'm not a history buff though so feel free to correct any of his errors.  Obviously those of you that can't stand Sargon or his presenting style I completely understand, I'm presenting his video to be fact checked. 

Thanks a lot. That's going to duck up my Youtube as much as when I had to research far right groups for a Prevent workshop. Couldn't cleanse it of hate for weeks.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It doesn't matter that 48% wanted to remain, 100% of the country left.  If an independent channel wants to pretend Brexit didn't happen that would be up to them, as a public broadcast service the BBC doesn't have that option.  On the night we left the EU, they were imo under obligation to broadcast his address.  LIkewise, the next morning they were obligated to discuss the front pages, just as they do every other day not ignore them. 

A lot of people were unhappy with that particular episode of Horrible Histories;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/01/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-over-anti-british-horrible-histories-song

And Carl Benjamin dissects it quite well in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMGFqwr2pw

I'm not a history buff though so feel free to correct any of his errors.  Obviously those of you that can't stand Sargon or his presenting style I completely understand, I'm presenting his video to be fact checked. 

The point about it being an address for half the country is that half the country simply wouldn't listen to it. The wounds inflicted by the whole process won't be healed for a generation, so some fat posh twit spluttering out his usual poo is not going to help. Especially on a night of crass triumphalism like Friday. Those who are excited by it all were busy celebrating. The rest of us were avoiding it completely.

Never mind, though, I am sure Carl Martin enjoyed it. I had never heard of him until you posted this link and I wish I hadn't clicked on the link to be honest. That kind of filth (I read the comments and noticed some of his other videos - about 'Tommy' and what-have-you) is not for me. I should have known, really.

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Never mind, though, I am sure Carl Martin enjoyed it. I had never heard of him until you posted this link and I wish I hadn't clicked on the link to be honest. That kind of filth (I read the comments and noticed some of his other videos - about 'Tommy' and what-have-you) is not for me. I should have known, really.

Fair enough, I googled 'bbc horrible histories anti british inaccuracies' and the video was top of page 2, with page 1 being links to the Andrew Neil article and similar articles in the Sun, Express, Mail etc. 

The video was the first I saw that someone had actually taken the time to dissect the programme.  He made a few good points imo, but whatever - some people simply won't watch it because of who it is, regardless of the video being there to be fact checked and taken apart if it is full of BS. 

You could have signed out to watch it ?  

33 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The point about it being an address for half the country is that half the country simply wouldn't listen to it. The wounds inflicted by the whole process won't be healed for a generation, so some fat posh twit spluttering out his usual poo is not going to help. Especially on a night of crass triumphalism like Friday. Those who are excited by it all were busy celebrating. The rest of us were avoiding it completely.

It's a big shout trying to talk on behalf of over 17million people.

There may be alot that didnt vote for Brexit but now it is happening may actually take an interest and want to be updated on it.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair I think the BBC did do some reporting of the landmark Brexit event:- 

https://mobile.twitter.com/juliahb1/status/1223592304444919809

Julia Hartley Brewer. Hahaha.

As it happens, anyone that wants to watch the BBC's Brexit programming of Friday night can still do so via iplayer.

Anybody have viewing figures for Boris Johnson's address? Anyone who missed it and wants to see it again might be able to find it online, despite the blackout by conspiratorial lefties.

Just now, maxjam said:

Why comment on the person posting the video and not the content of the video?

Because she's got previous. Whatabouttery is her forte.

The Notting Hill carnival is an annual event that celebrates West Indian culture. It has a lot of black people in attendance. The colour of the crowd is not noteworthy.

Brexit is a once in a lifetime event supposedly for the whole country, a country that includes a lot of non-white faces. Like it or not, that the crowd was therefore very white is worthy of note.

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The Notting Hill carnival is an annual event that celebrates West Indian culture. It has a lot of black people in attendance. The colour of the crowd is not noteworthy.

Brexit is a once in a lifetime event supposedly for the whole country, a country that includes a lot of non-white faces. Like it or not, that the crowd was therefore very white is worthy of note.

Dunno where to start with this, its probably best left but suffice to say I think you are completely wrong.

Have a good rest of your evening ?

31 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There were a lot of white faces in a country where 86% of the population is white. It's very important that the BBC point this vital information out.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Julia Hartley Brewer. Hahaha.

As it happens, anyone that wants to watch the BBC's Brexit programming of Friday night can still do so via iplayer.

Anybody have viewing figures for Boris Johnson's address? Anyone who missed it and wants to see it again might be able to find it online, despite the blackout by conspiratorial lefties.

Why are you dissing Julia HB? Lovely in person and an eloquent lone voice among the anti-Brexit media luvvies. And she knows her footy too.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I am just taking a leaf out of the ‘we know what we voted for’ book

Really? I've only ever heard people talking about what they voted for, not another 17.4m people.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Just so we we are clear then, you thought the Prime Ministers address on the biggest political event of a generation was not important enough to report on, but the colour of people in a crowd supporting that event was? Wow.

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really? I've only ever heard people talking about what they voted for, not another 17.4m people.

Just so we we are clear then, you thought the Prime Ministers address on the biggest political event of a generation was not important enough to report on, but the colour of people in a crowd supporting that event was? Wow.

Just to be clear, no, I don't.

Archived