The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for racial equality, and I think the "Black Lives Matter" slogan is perfectly worded, as yes, they do indeed matter, but it's not asking for special treatment either.  Just fairness.  Like I say, perfectly worded.

Personally though, I do think certain quarters need to ensure this show of solidarity and support doesn't get too "in yer face", or go "too far the other way"!

One negative example of that... in my opinion... happened just yesterday...

Muckerette has an on-line selling site/shop within Etsy.  (It's similar to EBay, I believe?  Mainly folk making their own items and selling them on line).  I also believe it is American based/owned..  (Could be wrong?).
Whilst on the site yesterday, she received a notification of a new initiative they (Etsy) are now actively pushing... basically  a section specifically set up to advertise the wares of black shop owners. 
The section is called "Black-owned Etsy shops", and the sub-text reads "We believe in showcasing, celebrating, and uplifting the talents of independent creatives. Discover one-of-a-kind creations from Black sellers in our community".

Now, I appreciate the sentiment of course, but as they don't appear to have a section dedicated solely to white sellers... or Mexican sellers... or people who have skin that is neither black nor white... or for people that can only write in Hebrew... or... well, I think you get the picture!

Some may argue this is racism itself.  It appears to be nothing short of discrimination... or at least, that was my own first thoughts.
I seriously hope and prey that these "Do-Gooders" aren't going to cause more harm than good! 

Let's make things equal... no more, no less.

xxx

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm all for racial equality, and I think the "Black Lives Matter" slogan is perfectly worded, as yes, they do indeed matter, but it's not asking for special treatment either.  Just fairness.  Like I say, perfectly worded.

Personally though, I do think certain quarters need to ensure this show of solidarity and support doesn't get too "in yer face", or go "too far the other way"!

One negative example of that... in my opinion... happened just yesterday...

Muckerette has an on-line selling site/shop within Etsy.  (It's similar to EBay, I believe?  Mainly folk making their own items and selling them on line).  I also believe it is American based/owned..  (Could be wrong?).
Whilst on the site yesterday, she received a notification of a new initiative they (Etsy) are now actively pushing... basically  a section specifically set up to advertise the wares of black shop owners. 
The section is called "Black-owned Etsy shops", and the sub-text reads "We believe in showcasing, celebrating, and uplifting the talents of independent creatives. Discover one-of-a-kind creations from Black sellers in our community".

Now, I appreciate the sentiment of course, but as they don't appear to have a section dedicated solely to white sellers... or Mexican sellers... or people who have skin that is neither black nor white... or for people that can only write in Hebrew... or... well, I think you get the picture!

Some may argue this is racism itself.  It appears to be nothing short of discrimination... or at least, that was my own first thoughts.
I seriously hope and prey that these "Do-Gooders" aren't going to cause more harm than good! 

Let's make things equal... no more, no less.

xxx

Are 'Buy Local' campaigns xenophobic?

Hundreds of football hooligans gathering together...and there is violence. Surprised? 

News reporters faux shock is pathetic. Don't give them the oxygen of exposure.. 

The police didn't act last week and now risk hypocrisy so they have allowed people to meet when it was clearly going to end badly. 

I would argue this where those who complained about the 'old' man being pushed over have to admit you can't have it all ways. If the police are too scared to act...this is what happens.

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Let's hope today passes off peacefully. 

Not going to happen though.

Last week was the turn of Anti British and now it's the turn of the fascists. That's how this is being played out. 

Last week we had war memorials sprayed over with "BLM"

This week we will have nazi salutes in front of them. 

Brilliant stuff. What's worse, is to support the protection of British history I find myself closer to the side of the fascists than the anti racists. Nice. 

I imagine this is what it felt like for the British BLM protesters that didn't feel the need to achieve equality by attacking white or British people and had to stand by while vandals hijacked the message. 

Does anyone think that this will improve things in the long run? 

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Hundreds of football hooligans gathering together...and there is violence. Surprised? 

News reporters faux shock is pathetic. Don't give them the oxygen of exposure.. 

The police didn't act last week and now risk hypocrisy so they have allowed people to meet when it was clearly going to end badly. 

I would argue this where those who complained about the 'old' man being pushed over have to admit you can't have it all ways. If the police are too scared to act...this is what happens.

You say hundreds of hooligans here. I agree by the way. 

There were hundreds of them last week too. 

We allowed anarchy last week and that's what we'll get this week. 

As I said, BLM sprayed on war memorials last week and nazi salutes in front of them this week. 

Anarchists win. And some of these anarchists will write newspaper articles that get millions of clicks tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The point of the protests is not to lionise George Floyd. The point of the protests is to highlight that it's not right to be treated like that. The existence of a criminal record simply highlights the importance that EVERYBODY should be treated the same before the law.

Do we all agree that we don't want robocop-style judge, jury and executioner police?

I know what the point of the protest is, although I doubt everyone who is protesting does.  I have no issue at all with anyone peacefully protesting or lobbying to eradicate Racism from society. A good number of protestors are pulling down statues and defacing property (Penny Lane road signs???), and lionising George Floyd without having a clue of their respective lifetime input to society. George Floyd good man, Lord Baden Powell bad man.

Your jump to Robocop is bizarre. Who has even approached advocating that on this forum?

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Your point about the photo is fair; I have no trouble it being removed if the mods wish, or you (or others) want to report it via the report function.  Knowing the history of George Floyd is fair. It’s no different to knowing the Full history of Henry Colston or Lord Baden Powell. Or is it inconvenient to see it both ways? 

Er, yeah? If that’s what you want? 

My posts isn’t about politics or whatever, but about ethics. I’m more concerned about a real persons face being shared on a football forum, where it has no right to be, and is an abuse of her and her horrible situation. 

@i-Ram it’s been taken off (thanks for sorting mods) so I’ll answer your last point 

George Floyds history was relevant, but only to the point that we compare it to say how a white American would be treated in similar circumstances. History is always important to help fill in the blanks, we should understand the whole history ok not just the bits that work to help our own argument(ref to churchill, colston etc etc)

I’ll read the snopes link in a bit

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I know what the point of the protest is, although I doubt everyone who is protesting does.  I have no issue at all with anyone peacefully protesting or lobbying to eradicate Racism from society. A good number of protestors are pulling down statues and defacing property (Penny Lane road signs???), and lionising George Floyd without having a clue of their respective lifetime input to society. George Floyd good man, Lord Baden Powell bad man.

Your jump to Robocop is bizarre. Who has even approached advocating that on this forum?

For a start, Baden-Powell was a very bad man, responsible for a terrible indoctrination regime affecting boys for over 100 years.

The robocop reference was exaggeration for rhetorical effect. Did the arresting officer of George Floyd think what he was doing was ok? Did he think it was normal? The protests, in my opinion, are because there are many people who think the answer to those two questions is 'yes'.

As an aside, the Penny lane signs have been defaced over a number of decades.

BlackLivesMatter and positive steps taken to make sure we are all treated equal (never be achieved. Class, gender, sexuality etc) can only be a good thing

That BlackLivesMatter message has been used by racists and anarchists and all types of knob head to attack white people, other ethnic minorities (see the racist abuse Terry Crews got if it's still there) British people, American people and more though. 

I would probably have gone with #Equality or something a bit more removed from the current controversy. 

#BAMEequality maybe. 

I always find it funny when football does anything to spread the good word. I shouldn't laugh because a PL game is the ideal place for a message to spread. But it's always hypocritical.

We promote fair play, equality for all etc etc. 

But you can take a bribe, tell a ref to feck off, call someone a negro, spit and cheat. That's all cool. 

But behave on twitter or else you bring the game into disrepute 

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You say hundreds of hooligans here. I agree by the way. 

There were hundreds of them last week too. 

We allowed anarchy last week and that's what we'll get this week. 

As I said, BLM sprayed on war memorials last week and nazi salutes in front of them this week. 

Anarchists win. And some of these anarchists will write newspaper articles that get millions of clicks tomorrow. 

I can only assume that the counter-protests are by an organisation called "Black Lives Don't Matter".

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can only assume that the counter-protests are by an organisation called "Black Lives Don't Matter".

I'm not sure how many factions there could be here. 

I'm looking for one that says British History matters but then I acknowledge Black History matters so let's find a positive solution without vandalism or dragging men of the past through the court of 2020. 

Can't find that in the media though.

I think I'm in the fascist group, Eddie. While you are kicking over war memorials. 

I challenge thee to a duel.

Sponsored by The Sun and The Mail of course

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

For a start, Baden-Powell was a very bad man, responsible for a terrible indoctrination regime affecting boys for over 100 years.

The robocop reference was exaggeration for rhetorical effect. Did the arresting officer of George Floyd think what he was doing was ok? Did he think it was normal? The protests, in my opinion, are because there are many people who think the answer to those two questions is 'yes'.

As an aside, the Penny lane signs have been defaced over a number of decades.

I’ve got to prepare for a quiz (see you later) but I think it harsh to consider the Scouting movement a terrible indoctrination regime affecting boys for over 100 years.

In my view there is an ocean of difference between the policing in the US and the UK. Not saying policing is ideal in the UK, but some of the UK protesting is clearly about provoking our police because of the actions of others.

As a “Gammon’ please let me know if them scallies start ploughing up Strawberry Fields.

You know what , the real opportunity here and now is for people of all colours to come together and condemn the frothing at the mouth extremists on both sides of this issue that stop us being able talk and understand each other , lets hope we start seeing this happening 

Archived