The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

7 minutes ago, cstand said:

Alfred Fagon statue damaged in Bristol hope all the people who want statues torn down by angry mobs are happy with themselves. 

They are. They're telling you as much in this thread.

I hope those of you who aren't part of the cult are beginning to understand that there is no example you could possibly give that will be too egregious. Any monument damaged or destroyed, any work of entertainment censored, any number of police officers attacked and injured will be met with three paragraphs of mealy mouth apologism that ultimately says nothing and makes 0 concessions to your argument.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I am not responsible for any Imperial crimes  ... 

I could now disgorge a huge essay on your points but I don't think many others here are that interested. I could go on and on ..... but I shan't.

As a final point on this subject (and nothing to do with you)  ...

I see that as of this morning the Police have felt obliged to put barriers around the Cenotaph. 

I am disgusted that anyone would try to damage the national monument commemorating the sacrifice of millions.

Are you getting worried about your user name yet? Won't be long before the mob are after you........

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Are you getting worried about your user name yet? Won't be long before the mob are after you........

Depends how you look at it .... Am I the badge of the evil Hanoverians or a big chalky ancient diagram? Or a lot of pubs?

I guess for you -  you are either a talking Terry Pratchett dog or the baddie in Beauty and the Beast.

21 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I WILL NEVER TAKE THE PUB FOR GRANTED EVER AGAIN.

I AM DESPERATE FOR THE NEXT TURGID RAMS 0 - 0 DRAW 

A friend of mine owns a pub called 'The Gladstone', so even when he reopens I won't be able to go. 

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just out of interest - was anyone, literally ANYONE calling for Fawlty Towers to be pulled from UKTV?

Or is it that UKTV, a channel that I'd never heard of, has pulled a masterful publicity stroke here and we're all being played?

UKTV is a British multi-channel broadcaster, wholly owned by BBC Studios. It was formed on 1 November 1992 through a joint venture between the BBC and Thames Television. It is one of the United Kingdom's largest television companies

Just now, jimmyp said:

UKTV is a British multi-channel broadcaster, wholly owned by BBC Studios. It was formed on 1 November 1992 through a joint venture between the BBC and Thames Television. It is one of the United Kingdom's largest television companies

I never knew Alexa was a Rams fan.

21 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just out of interest - was anyone, literally ANYONE calling for Fawlty Towers to be pulled from UKTV?

Or is it that UKTV, a channel that I'd never heard of, has pulled a masterful publicity stroke here and we're all being played?

The fear of the angry left wing mob turning up and the police standing by and doing nothing. 

8 minutes ago, cstand said:

The fear of the angry left wing mob turning up and the police standing by and doing nothing. 

That's my point - what mob? Who was actually outraged about it? Literally no one. Apart from the one that you just imagined up to justify your own take on things.

Like I say - we're all being played here

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

That's my point - what mob? Who was actually outraged about it? Literally no one. Apart from the one that you just imagined up to justify your own take on things.

The left wing was part of the angry mob that pulled the statue down in Bristol the police stood by and did nothing.

6 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

There’s also the point made on here the other night that wherever you see racism / bigotry you must call it out or you are part of the problem ,

I notice nobody really picked up on the apu v willey thing , I’m a non drinking Scot but everyone and I mean everyone I meet for the first time won’t believe I don’t drink ,, why ? Years of stereotyping Scots as ginger violent alcoholics , thick paddies , the list goes on and on ,

here’s the rub , does a comedian or show fixate on a certain group or is the humour spread around and we all come in for it and then is it funny or just nasty dressed up as funny

58 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I am not responsible for any Imperial crimes  ... 

I could now disgorge a huge essay on your points but I don't think many others here are that interested. I could go on and on ..... but I shan't.

As a final point on this subject (and nothing to do with you)  ...

I see that as of this morning the Police have felt obliged to put barriers around the Cenotaph. 

I am disgusted that anyone would try to damage the national monument commemorating the sacrifice of millions.

You are right, we were digressing into history and those debates could go on forever.   I agree that neither you nor anyone in any of the European imperial powers are responsible for any crimes of their country's past empires.  It's was never about responsibility, shame or guilt. 

On the other hand, it would undoubtedly be shameful if anyone were to damage the Cenotaph. 

1 hour ago, cstand said:

So we can build statues for a movement or an idea Brexit statue is fine then for our independence from the EU?

I'd be much happier with a statue for Brexit than one for Farage.

And in 10 years time when Brexit has left us an irrelevance on the world stage, we'll all be happy to put it in a museum attributed to bad decisions. Or throw it in the river.

45 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Seen a lot saying it’s undermines the message, which it 100% does. My guess is they will do it for an admin reason, put something up at the start of the programme which is of no consequence to anyone and put it back up. By then all them who haven’t watched in a considerable amount of time will have moved on to something else

Churchill statues ? 
I don’t give a dam whether they are there or not ,,, why ( before the big outrage)

it was the ordinary men and boys of this country and other countries of all colours and creeds that laid down their lives that are the hero’s not Churchill , people lose that fact far too easily and that’s perhaps why we end up with controversial statues and monuments 

Absolutely ridiculous idea to pull Fawlty towers. What next Hello Hello, Dad's Army, Emmerdale. I'm sure if we look hard enough there is something in every programme that will offend somebody. The thought police will be out if we dare to mention the Germans hogging the sun beds. Crazy crazy times.

5 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Absolutely ridiculous idea to pull Fawlty towers. What next Hello Hello, Dad's Army, Emmerdale. I'm sure if we look hard enough there is something in every programme that will offend somebody. The thought police will be out if we dare to mention the Germans hogging the sun beds. Crazy crazy times.

Who would notice if they pulled Allo Allo?

Archived