The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 hours ago, cstand said:

At this moment in time this country needs  to be united in its stance to get a deal done as soon as possible with the EU or leave under WTO rules the uncertainty is no good to us or the EU. Obviously  the Coronavirus is the main priority and we should extend the transition period for that reason.

When this is all sorted you can talk about Cummings as much as you want it’s just not a priority in my opinion.

The one thing we all should unite around is making sure the government knows we will not accept any watering down of Food Safety, Environmental and Employment regs as part of the deal.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

We elect MPs to make decisions on our behalf. Most of them thought remaining in the EU was best.

So you'll be quite happy to let Boris and the Tories run the country unhindered now they have been democratically elected?

24 minutes ago, ossieram said:

So you'll be quite happy to let Boris and the Tories run the country unhindered now they have been democratically elected?

They won the election so of course should be running the country. Not sure what you mean by unhindered? Should they be open to criticism? Of course. Should they be allowed to break laws and have absolute power? Of course not.

During the last 3 years, Parliament did exactly what it was supposed to do. Try to ensure that Brexit was delivered without screwing the country over. Or trying to deliver an ultra version of Brexit that the ERG wanted and people had never been told about.

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

Please explain what you did mean then.

OK, I was joking. What I meant was that Stalin is my hero.

OK, I was joking. What I meant was that you might think you voted for a clear cut referendum where the outcome was clear - how often do we hear that. But what is happening now, and what will continue to happen, is that those who 'count the votes' will continue to use the outcome of the referendum to twist the supposed will of the people to their own benefit and ends. If the ballot paper had said 'By voting to leave the EU you agree that in the next three years we will spend more on Brexit than we have contributed in 47 years' or 'By agreeing to vote to leave the EU you recognise that Aaron Banks and the Leave party have contravened election guidelines, that the £350m written on the bus is flim flam and that referendum statements such as Liam Fox's "The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.” would quickly be shown to be utter hot air' then I somehow doubt 52% would have found that the path they wanted to go down.

55 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

OK, I was joking. What I meant was that you might think you voted for a clear cut referendum where the outcome was clear - how often do we hear that. But what is happening now, and what will continue to happen, is that those who 'count the votes' will continue to use the outcome of the referendum to twist the supposed will of the people to their own benefit and ends. If the ballot paper had said 'By voting to leave the EU you agree that in the next three years we will spend more on Brexit than we have contributed in 47 years' or 'By agreeing to vote to leave the EU you recognise that Aaron Banks and the Leave party have contravened election guidelines, that the £350m written on the bus is flim flam and that referendum statements such as Liam Fox's "The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.” would quickly be shown to be utter hot air' then I somehow doubt 52% would have found that the path they wanted to go down.

Jeez there’s nothing worse being unable to accept defeat , for every argument you put forward there will be a more qualified person than you that will refute it in the same know better manner,

it was a straight choice ,in or out and people voted out for a multitude of reasons 

the biggest mistake was having the bloody referendum in the first place , once that was in motion it was always going to be a clusterfaxk 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Jezz you'll have all the leave means leave brigade going off on one again.

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

Jeez there’s nothing worse being unable to accept defeat , for every argument you put forward there will be a more qualified person than you that will refute it in the same know better manner,

it was a straight choice ,in or out and people voted out for a multitude of reasons 

the biggest mistake was having the bloody referendum in the first place , once that was in motion it was always going to be a clusterfaxk 

It was also good for the Leavers to have the referendum during loads of terror attacks. Helped feed into the 'be wary of the other" narrative.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Your yes but no but then a tirade routine has already been made famous.?

58 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It was also good for the Leavers to have the referendum during loads of terror attacks. Helped feed into the 'be wary of the other" narrative.

Also good that the shambles left made up a lot of people’s minds

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The one thing we all should unite around is making sure the government knows we will not accept any watering down of Food Safety, Environmental and Employment regs as part of the deal.

For gods sake don’t mention chlorinated chicken cause it will really kick off in here!

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Nothing worse than being able to accept defeat? What about a zombie apocalypse, surely that has to be worse.

I'm not actually putting forward any arguments, that race is run, what I am doing is responding to the initial point that suggested the referendum was a clear cut democratic decision made by the people. And my answer to that is clear - yeah, right..... And to suggest that it was clear in or out is about as deluded as it comes. Farage and Johnson don't agree and Corbyn couldn't even get himself to agree what it was he disagreed on. Don't matter where you sit, clear is the one thing it ain't.

I don't agree entirely that the referendum was a bad idea - at the time the clamour to be heard was growing and I do think all sides deserved the right. It was the question we were asked that fudged us up for a generation. But we're there now so, as you say, now is not the time for moaning. I'm just sitting back and waiting for all the leavers to start whining that they haven't got what they voted for. It's as guaranteed as rain before Christmas.

Archived