The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Would you like to furnish this with a few examples so that we can see it's not just a redtop fuelled tirade of uninformed bilge?

So far, the only one I can quote myself, trying to give you a bit of a start, is the tampon tax - so we'll end period poverty for some at the cost of a period of poverty for all.

But over to you now, come forth and educate us all....

Seek and you will find

https://brexitcentral.com/how-the-british-conception-of-sovereignty-makes-eu-membership-untenable/

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, cstand said:

You do know that website's editor in chief is one Matthew Elliott, founder of the Taxpayers Alliance, founder of NotoAV, and of Vote Leave?

And said organisation has raised many eyebrows by being granted a press pass by Cummings that gives them full access, despite being "campaigners masquerading as journalists "?

This is not red top bilge. This is not reporting at all.

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You do know that website's editor in chief is one Matthew Elliott, founder of the Taxpayers Alliance, founder of NotoAV, and of Vote Leave?

And said organisation has raised many eyebrows by being granted a press pass by Cummings that gives them full access, despite being "campaigners masquerading as journalists "?

Tax payers alliance did not know it was that good thanks for the info.

So you ignored the content purely based on the author?

6 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Would you like to furnish this with a few examples so that we can see it's not just a redtop fuelled tirade of uninformed bilge?

So far, the only one I can quote myself, trying to give you a bit of a start, is the tampon tax - so we'll end period poverty for some at the cost of a period of poverty for all.

But over to you now, come forth and educate us all....

What exactly are you asking for examples of?

35 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The only people that are bothered about Cummings are the left wing losers in the last GE who really should be looking at their own behaviour that brought about the worse election result for the Labour Party in living memory but you just cannot help yourselves can you?

Just now, cstand said:

The only people that are bothered about Cummings are the left wing losers in the last GE who really should be looking at their own behaviour that brought about the worse election result for Labour Party in living memory but you just cannot help yourselves can you?

Why are you still going on about Labour's election results? That's ancient history. And for you Tories, surely you're happy?

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Why are you still going on about Labour's election results? That's ancient history. And for you Tories, surely you're happy?

Still in denial you are handing the next GE result on a plate to the Tories. Being a Tory and voting for the Tories are not the same I have never paid a penny into the Tory party but I have into the Labour Party via my union subscription but that will come to and end after 40 years in April.

Anyhow time to go I am rather tired need sleep same as Tuesday?

6 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

So there is a magic money tree after all

Not any more, the chancellor didn't just strip it bare. He pulled it up by the roots, put it through the chipper and turned it into mulch.

As for paying for all the chancellor's borrowing. One can assume that the government won't ask the wealthiest top one percent of the country to contribute a little more, to help reduce the nations debt. No that burden will fall on to the same shoulders that paid for the bankers rooster-up. People further down the wealth ladder, those who were less able to afford to pay the extra costs incurred.

12 minutes ago, cstand said:

The only people that are bothered about Cummings are the left wing losers in the last GE who really should be looking at their own behaviour that brought about the worse election result for the Labour Party in living memory but you just cannot help yourselves can you?

Perhaps you should re-read the above drivel and ask yourself the question "why should our governance system allow our published media content to be set by unelected, but highly partisan, individuals. "

Try thinking about it rather than simply throwing teenage put-downs around which are not even factually accurate (I did not vote Labour at the last election).

Just now, 1of4 said:

Not any more, the chancellor didn't just strip it bare. He pulled it up by the roots, put it through the chipper and turned it into mulch.

As for paying for all the chancellor's borrowing. One can assume that the government won't ask the wealthiest top one percent of the country to contribute a little more, to help reduce the nations debt. No that burden will fall on to the same shoulders that paid for the bankers rooster-up. People further down the wealth ladder, those who were less able to afford to pay the extra costs incurred.

Should file away for now, and revisit in detail when the autumn statement/spending review comes out. Look out for potential backsliding, new taxes, pledges re-set due to the adverse effects of coronavirus etc etc

Was it merely an extremely effective piece of political theatre, or a genuine move in a new direction?

We shall see.

11 hours ago, cstand said:

The only people that are bothered about Cummings are the left wing losers in the last GE

You may be right, but actually everyone should be bothered by the amount of power and influence (the unelected) Cummings is wielding over our government

I'm less bothered about his personal politics (I said a couple of weeks back that I actually find myself in agreement with *some* of his views) - it's the principle that concerns me

25 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You may be right, but actually everyone should be bothered by the amount of power and influence (the unelected) Cummings is wielding over our government

I'm less bothered about his personal politics (I said a couple of weeks back that I actually find myself in agreement with *some* of his views) - it's the principle that concerns me

At this moment in time this country needs  to be united in its stance to get a deal done as soon as possible with the EU or leave under WTO rules the uncertainty is no good to us or the EU. Obviously  the Coronavirus is the main priority and we should extend the transition period for that reason.

When this is all sorted you can talk about Cummings as much as you want it’s just not a priority in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, cstand said:

At this moment in time this country needs  to be united in its stance to get a deal done as soon as possible with the EU or leave under WTO rules the uncertainty is no good to us or the EU. Obviously  the Coronavirus is the main priority and we should extend the transition period for that reason.

When this is all sorted you can talk about Cummings as much as you want it’s just not a priority in my opinion.

Why does the country need to be united to get a deal. We were told before the referendum that getting a deal would be the easiest thing ever. There was also no talk of leaving without a deal that could seriously damage the country. If I voted Leave I'd be rather fed up how the goalposts have moved so far since the referendum.

Newsflash...I forgot we won the war. Let's stick it to the EU!

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Why does the country need to be united to get a deal. We were told before the referendum that getting a deal would be the easiest thing ever. There was also no talk of leaving without a deal that could seriously damage the country. If I voted Leave I'd be rather fed up how the goalposts have moved so far since the referendum.

Newsflash...I forgot we won the war. Let's stick it to the EU!

Ok if makes you happy leave with WTO tariffs  hopefully Boris will tell them tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

Ok if makes you happy leave with WTO tariffs  hopefully Boris will tell them tomorrow.

Would you have voted Leave if you had actually been told how difficult getting a good deal would be and that we might well end up without a deal which could have severe economic impacts?

The general tone from prominent leavers was the EU would do as we say because we are British god dammit.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Would you have voted Leave if you had actually been told how difficult getting a good deal would be and that we might well end up without a deal which could have severe economic impacts?

The general tone from prominent leavers was the EU would do as we say because we are British god dammit.

Why do you think I voted leave I could be a remainer who actually stands up for the principal to honour the referendum result?

16 minutes ago, cstand said:

Why do you think I voted leave I could be a remainer who actually stands up for the principal to honour the referendum result?

Leave voters are fine. It's remainers who honoured the referendum result that I can't abide! They are the real traitors and should be locked up!

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Agreed - stereotyping people is absolutely wrong. Not everyone who voted leave is as thick as mince

Insulting leave voters resulted in a massive majority for the Tories so please carry on.

Archived