v Wigan Athletic (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you think that scoring a last minute equaliser against the league's bottom side which is the only goal you've scored in 6 odd consecutive away games is acceptable then there is some serious misalignment of acceptable expectations from our manager 

Where on earth did you get that he thought toady's display was 'acceptable' from that comment?

You literally just made that up!

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Because they’re our best forwards and they link up the best, as evident in that Boro home game and after the forest game Cocu just suddenly stopped playing them both together. Seems bizarre to not even try them together again since the forest game. It also gets Lawrence into the game more as it means he plays more centrally. Martin works best with people up and close to him like Bryson at his best used to and Marriott plays best in a front 2.  Playing Martin like this is useless, he’s not a magician and can’t create everything up front himself. 

Nail on the head mate 

I wanted to applaud this post more than once 

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Big goal in the sense that it keeps the gap much healthier than it could’ve been. Cocu wouldn’t be going regardless so let’s have none of this baalocks about it saving his job etc etc.

Two winnable home games back to back and Rooneys arrival. I’m hoping things can improve...

Are you serious! Have you been watching the game today? So based on what you have seen the next two games are winnable? So Charlton who have just won, and Barnsley who drew with WBA. I admire you optimism I really do, but based on the way we are playing it is more two "non-winnable" games... 

I would also like to think that Rooney's imminent arrival will spark an upturn in fortunes, but even he won't be able to do that with the rabble we currently have. This is all based on the last 10 or so games and I see no clear improvement. We are very lucky today and deserve duck all. Wigan were robbed.

1 minute ago, wixman1884 said:

I've been really trying. I desperately try and convince myself that this will lead to great things, then I watch us play again and all positivity quickly disappears.

I find it really easy, but I won't condemn those who don't. Minds work in different ways. I find it helps to simply remember how ridiculously unpredictable football is; and how meaningless what has happened often is to what is going to happen.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

We look like we don't know what we're doing and we're set up to counter the opposition. That's what.

Always knew this was a tricky game after they drew midweek at Blackburn and could have won. 

Im happy tonight and that’s a big point. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

If you think that scoring a last minute equaliser against the league's bottom side which is the only goal you've scored in 6 odd consecutive away games is acceptable then there is some serious misalignment of acceptable expectations from our manager 

I don't think it's acceptable, I'm just very aware of the limitations of this current squad and our current injury woes. The fact that our starting CB partnership at the moment is two players who a few months ago were out with ACL injuries, one being 34 and the other being a LB played out of position should tell you all you need to know about the current strength of this squad. A managerial change won't suddenly open the transfer window and magically make Huddlestone, Shinnie and Clarke fit.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

Where on earth did you get that he thought toady's display was 'acceptable' from that comment?

You literally just made that up!

The clear incinuation was that the "Cocu out" brigade on here would be disappointed that we had equalised as that then would not further or progress their personal agenda(s) against Cocu 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We look like we don't know what we're doing and we're set up to counter the opposition. That's what.

Ironically, nobody is slagging off the young players.  Its is the ones with more seniority that should take more responsibility.  

Having said that Whittaker needs to spend some time in the gym as he needs to strengthen up.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

Wigan actually played some really neat football. We've played far worse teams this season.

Agreed.

WBA drew away at Wigan in December, too - in fairness. It's not the worst point we'll get. 

2 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Are you serious! Have you been watching the game today? So based on what you have seen the next two games are winnable? So Charlton who have just won, and Barnsley who drew with WBA. I admire you optimism I really do, but based on the way we are playing it is more two "non-winnable" games... 

I would also like to think that Rooney's imminent arrival will spark an upturn in fortunes, but even he won't be able to do that with the rabble we currently have. This is all based on the last 10 or so games and I see no clear improvement. We are very lucky today and deserve duck all. Wigan were robbed.

Winnable in the sense that we’re at home to two sides that around/below us in the league... I haven’t said “we will win them” but regardless of how we’ve been playing, these kind of games at home are “winnable.”

The way people have been reacting is as if we’re never going to win a game ever again. If we can’t be hopeful of beating Barnsley at home then we may as well all pack it in and prepare for League One next season because then there really is no hope.

Phew. 

Lots to think about.

Bielik is so clumsy.

over cautious sub?  This was an opportunity to get knight and sibley onto the pitch together, but bringing on a defensive midfielder restricted our options. Tbh bird did ok. Better than bielik?

we lacked pace up front in a game that was crying out for the ball OTT.

Marriott got in once but he hasn't quite got the legs. Get mitchell-lawson on the bench?

finally whittaker for knight was totally pointless. V reading he put sibley rightside of midfield. Could have done a straight swap for knight if he wanted fresh legs.

wigan weren't bad. Exactly as shane nicholson predicted. Created chances but couldn't score. 

Eventually it was the two rangers and ipswich rejects - garner and waghorn who each produced the goals.

a draw was a fair result imo.

Archived