Dowell

Woodley Ram

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

You have to have both in the top 10 midfielders to play for Derby with the name Kieran or Benny in the last 50 years. 

In fact they finish higher in that list than Chris Martin finishes in the greatest Derby players called Chris in the last 50 years

Didn’t we once play Kieran freeman at right mid? There’s one man above Dowell.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Didn’t we once play Kieran freeman at right mid? There’s one man above Dowell.

We are calling him "Kieron" Freeman for the purpose of this debate. Whether that's right or not is only relevant if somebody researches it. I think it's best for Cocu and Everton that nobody bothers. 

tin hat on....give him a bit of time - think he has been doing better in 23s....I think we may need him later

give the lad a chance.....

me and the lads talked to him after the Brentford debacle  - nice lad - really gutted he got pulled off. - and his form being low par........give him a bit of time

I thought he showed flashes of looking a really good player in the few games I saw but seemed to frustratingly and consistently make the wrong decision when on the ball pass wise, either held on to long or chose the wrong option. Maybe a  confidence thing. The lads got a good touch and looks decent, it’s just not worked for him so far

I feel the issue with Dowell is that he's lacking in confidence - any ball to him when he's inside his own half and his first movement, more often than not, is to turn towards his own goal. A number of times this has led to him losing possession in a dangerous part of the pitch.

There's a good player in there - much better than many fans seem to think.

Dowell basically plays like Huddlestone - just ambles around all day expecting everyone else to do the work around him - but lacks any of Huddlestones vision and passing range to justify it. The problem isn’t that he’s poo, the problem is he’s nothing. He literally doesn’t do anything. You may as well play with 10 men. He basically plays like I do on Fifa on amateur mode while having a conversation with someone at the same time- no focus or concentration because I expect it to be easy.

16 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So was Dawkins. OK not money shot crosses and instinctive shooting all the time, but gluey sticky and often made a good pass to Martin or the midfield. Had a hard time with a family loss I think as well.

I always thought  Dawkins was particularly effective when we were winning already (especially away from PP) . He had an uncanny knack of holding the ball up in midfield and the opposition really struggled to get hold of it. It also allowed the runners such as Russell and Bryson to find better positions to receive it. He could also turn and face the ball to the opposition's goal quite quickly. I think this is what you are alluding to.

2 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

I always thought  Dawkins was particularly effective when we were winning already (especially away from PP) . He had an uncanny knack of holding the ball up in midfield and the opposition really struggled to get hold of it. It also allowed the runners such as Russell and Bryson to find better positions to receive it. He could also turn and face the ball to the opposition's goal quite quickly. I think this is what you are alluding to.

Used to make nice little triangles with Martin, Fozzy, Brys et al. 

I can only assume he was a victim of poor timing, didn't he play in two international tournaments for Jamaica pretty much back to back, missing pre season, then get injured shortly after?

Never really got himself in front of the PE teacher.

Archived