Racism - what would you do?

Anag Ram

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

So, after yet another weekend of racism in football I ask you fellow Derby fans what you would do if a Rams fan alongside you started racist chanting? 

What if it was five or more fans? 

A sustained chant rather than an isolated comment in the heat of the moment, which though I wouldn’t be happy with I could let slide once (not if repeated) would really get my back up.

my reaction would depend on the situation, I often go to games with my 7 year old autistic daughter these days, so I’d be wary of being confrontational. If I was with my mates on the other hand words would be had.

for a bit of context, I’m white, with family that is black of Jamaican descent

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

So, after yet another weekend of racism in football I ask you fellow Derby fans what you would do if a Rams fan alongside you started racist chanting? 

I would tighten up the laces on my Ox blood Dr Marten boots (with bouncing soles) and wade in chanting "skinheads don`t bother me"

(you need to be well over 50 to remember this chant ?) LOL

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It's happened to me once. I turned around looking irritated and his mates apologized on his behalf and shut him up. If I'd heard another peep he would've been reported to the stewards.

If it was five or more... I don't know. It would depend on what type of person it was and what exactly was said. I would likely just report it immediately.

14 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

This happened at Wembley.  A family of Derby fans calling Neil Taylor the P word. infront of them sat a mixed group and white and asians. Didnt go down well. Racists got kicked in and kicked out

Doesn’t matter who is in front of them, it’s wrong 

19 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

This happened at Wembley.  A family of Derby fans calling Neil Taylor the P word. infront of them sat a mixed group and white and asians. Didnt go down well. Racists got kicked in and kicked out

How do people like that even have time to look up these things? I had no idea Taylor is half Indian.

6 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Doesn’t matter who is in front of them, it’s wrong 

correct. however, just to set more of the scene. No one else said a word apart from the people in front of the racist family. completly ruined the atmosphere for about 30-40 people. It was a quiet stage of the match and was clearly heard because a few heads turned. I may or may not have been in front of the family of racists before you ask if I said or did anything ?

I heard a racing comment in the Derby end at Barnsley away this year and I was stood close to a black guy who heard the the guy that shouted it and moved seats at half time. 

I was absolutely disgusted. The guy that shouted it was blind drunk and was shouting vile comments all game, something your kids should never ever hear, comments about dead grandmas, did anyone else hear this guy?

Intervened once in sustained racist abuse against some Asians ended up getting attacked and put through a very unpleasant court case as a witness.

Treated like a dog by the police and CPS etc.

Their attitude was that I should have turned a blind eye.

Think carefully before you get in any confrontation.

8 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Intervened once in sustained racist abuse against some Asians ended up getting attacked and put through a very unpleasant court case as a witness.

Treated like a dog by the police and CPS etc.

Their attitude was that I should have turned a blind eye.

Think carefully before you get in any confrontation.

Well done though. Hopefully these days treatment of witnesses should be better. You dont always have to confront them though, tell the stewards discreetly. 

Well I’d probably call them exactly what they are- a bunch of bamfords. Then, tempting as it is to start a fight with the bar stewards, that ain’t gonna resolve anything and would just result in getting banned yourself. So have to find some way to tell the stewards I guess and get them booted out.

43 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

correct. however, just to set more of the scene. No one else said a word apart from the people in front of the racist family. completly ruined the atmosphere for about 30-40 people. It was a quiet stage of the match and was clearly heard because a few heads turned. I may or may not have been in front of the family of racists before you ask if I said or did anything ?

I wonder, in this age of technology, whether an app could alert the club and any related security staff of racist behaviour near you, and where you are in the crowd? 

This would make alerting stewards quite so obvious and reduce the chance of retribution. 

The problem won't go away until the punishment is a custodial sentence with rehabilitation and learning. 

We live in a bit of a culture of hatred at the moment. Football is just a hiding place. 

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I wonder, in this age of technology, whether an app could alert the club and any related security staff of racist behaviour near you, and where you are in the crowd? 

This would make alerting stewards quite so obvious and reduce the chance of retribution. 

The problem won't go away until the punishment is a custodial sentence with rehabilitation and learning. 

We live in a bit of a culture of hatred at the moment. Football is just a hiding place. 

Can't get any signal in the ground though

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well I’d probably call them exactly what they are- a bunch of bamfords. Then, tempting as it is to start a fight with the bar stewards, that ain’t gonna resolve anything and would just result in getting banned yourself. So have to find some way to tell the stewards I guess and get them booted out.

It may also result in you getting your head kicked in. This is part of the problem. It can be dangerous to speak up and so it's safer personally to say nothing.

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

You can text problems during the match to a club number. I couldn’t find it on the site though but it’s definitely on the back of match tickets. 

6 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

You can text problems during the match to a club number. I couldn’t find it on the site though but it’s definitely on the back of match tickets. 

On the concourse walls too.

Archived