Racism - what would you do?

Anag Ram

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is difficult to say how we would respond. Some think they would say something to the offender(s) but when it comes to it they don't, for whatever reason, some think they would report them but end up saying something to them. Others probably feel like there isn't anything positive they could do or think someone else will say/do something but end up doing something themselves. 

Personally I've not been close to anyone being racist at a Derby game, however, once when I was playing on a Sunday morning a player on the other team made a racist comment to a player on my team, right next to the ref and me, I had a go at the the guy telling him he couldn't say stuff like that, turned to the ref to ask him if he had heard it to be told that was nothing compared to what he says to his own team mates, I turned to our player in shock and asked if he was alright, and he wasn't bothered about it either, told me to not worry about it and that it was fine. I just stood there shocked and sad at the state of the whole thing, from what was said to the refs attitude to the our player's acceptance of it. 

At Forest 7-8 years ago a couple of young lads in the seats behind me tried to get a Dougherty chant going and I turned round to them and said to them "just dont" and they stopped straight away, and didn't try it again. 

Was next to a very strange incident a few seasons ago.

A very drunk man next to me slurred that the ref was a black such and such.

A black man in front of us quickly alerted the stewards and it all kicked off from then on, resulting in the man being dragged out.

The strange thing was that the referee was white, but wearing black clothing.

44 minutes ago, rynny said:

It is difficult to say how we would respond. Some think they would say something to the offender(s) but when it comes to it they don't, for whatever reason, some think they would report them but end up saying something to them. Others probably feel like there isn't anything positive they could do or think someone else will say/do something but end up doing something themselves. 

Personally I've not been close to anyone being racist at a Derby game, however, once when I was playing on a Sunday morning a player on the other team made a racist comment to a player on my team, right next to the ref and me, I had a go at the the guy telling him he couldn't say stuff like that, turned to the ref to ask him if he had heard it to be told that was nothing compared to what he says to his own team mates, I turned to our player in shock and asked if he was alright, and he wasn't bothered about it either, told me to not worry about it and that it was fine. I just stood there shocked and sad at the state of the whole thing, from what was said to the refs attitude to the our player's acceptance of it. 

At Forest 7-8 years ago a couple of young lads in the seats behind me tried to get a Dougherty chant going and I turned round to them and said to them "just dont" and they stopped straight away, and didn't try it again. 

The Dougherty chant got going tbh loud and clear lol unfortunately 

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

So, after yet another weekend of racism in football I ask you fellow Derby fans what you would do if a Rams fan alongside you started racist chanting? 

What if it was five or more fans? 

It'd be nice to think we would all stand up to these bigots, if such a thing happened around us. 
Easier said than done though, I guess. 
Idiots are idiots, when all said and done, and things can soon escalate out of control, with physical harm potentially resulting.  As some of us are lovers not fighters, I guess the sensible approach would be to report it to the nearest steward, and let them deal with it, in the way they have been trained.

If I could guarantee landing a single knock-out blow, without so much as a scuff to my knuckles, I could possibly be persuaded though!  ??

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It may also result in you getting your head kicked in. This is part of the problem. It can be dangerous to speak up and so it's safer personally to say nothing.

Absolutely, when faced with a group of 10 thugs chanting racist abuse, I can’t think of many who would take them on! 

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

The original game it was sung very clearly at was 13th March, 2012.

Bucko's last minute winner. Barkers horrible injury. Was originally arranged for a snowy Sunday lunch time on the BBC.

I know, I wasn't on about that match. 

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely, when faced with a group of 10 thugs chanting racist abuse, I can’t think of many who would take them on! 

My next door neighbour is ex 2 Para ,took Wireless Ridge ? with a bayonet charge .Deffo put a tenner on him.

Attended a Brighton match the other year and a a gay friend was amongst our group. A number of Derby fans were shouting homophobic abuse at the home fans, he can take a joke but his was over the top and just not funny.

He turned around to them and said in a non aggressive manner, I’m gay, if you have anything to say, I’m happy to listen, they apologised and we didn’t hear anything else on that subject for the rest of the game.

Football sometimes brings out the worse in people, but this shouldn’t be an excuse, in this day and age people should know better and I think the majority do.

An App would be a brilliant idea. Seat and Row number - annonomous if you want. If a number of people did it and reported the same position it could work. Granted there are issues especially where it isn’t obvious at an away game what seat they are sitting in etc

I wouldn’t confront my one at a game as I’d feel threatened and scared. Doesn’t matter what you say to a pissed person, their gonna retaliate sadly.

We couldn’t even find the person who threw the seat at Rotherham away last year so it’s gonna be very difficult though. Short of stewards and police sat in the stands randomly (which I would 100% support) I don’t see another way of stopping the pathetic antics of a few.

Archived