Scouting, or lack thereof

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Yet we have finished in or around the play offs for the last 5 years.

Who's scouts are we comparing ours against?

By massively overspending and buying overpriced players who have under performed compared to their price tag (we should have been promoted, likely automatic) and if scouted and spent better you would have expected far better results for that outlay 

Just now, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

By massively overspending and buying overpriced players who have under performed compared to their price tag (we should have been promoted, likely automatic) and if scouted and spent better you would have expected far better results for that outlay 

I very much doubt the scouts have anything to do with how much we pay for players.

29 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Norwich scout most of Europe and have had a golden generation who they took gambles on introducing large numbers and it worked. 

Sheff have consistently picked up strong players from league 1 who fit their very specific tactical model. But I would say the tactical model is far more significant than the players they have signed. If they sold any to the championship (except their summer signings who were just that and cost fees similar) not many would be guaranteed starters at the top end

We don't sign anyone to fit any kind of specific system though. We seemingly pick at random with no thought to how we want to play or even a system we want to build. We'd be better suited following the likes of Shef Utd rather than our big spending, scattergun approach. 

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

We don't sign anyone to fit any kind of specific system though. We seemingly pick at random with no thought to how we want to play or even a system we want to build. We'd be better suited following the likes of Shef Utd rather than our big spending, scattergun approach. 

Even the Clough approach, he didn’t have a system in mind but a philosophy at least 

17 minutes ago, GenBr said:

But how do we know what the scouts are being asked to find?

Since McClaren I've not really been able to tell any system that we've played consistently, other than Rowett and he certainly signed players to fit his system.

We have clearly been on a program of reducing player wages so the new recruits will be more of a gamble in terms of end product ability but a manager needs time whoever they are and Cocu hasn’t had any yet and will probably need 3 transfer windows and a hell of a lot of better advice 

A word of support for our scouting team since 2013 we have had 8 managers,Each manager bringing his own vision of how we should play,Each manager tasking the scouting team to find the type of player that they were looking for,Most of those players are still on the books,So they are what Cocu has to work with,We dont need a new scouting team we need continuity with the manager.A manager that stays for more than one season.

Compare that to our academy teams Wassell at the helm our under 23s and under 18s  play great football are successful,admired by other teams.Where do the players come from? They come from the same scouting team that are being attacked on here,Can any of you really picture any player signed by the likes of Rowett(the guy who couldnt get rid of Hughes quick enough) or Pearson who bought Ikechi Anya to the club

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I very much doubt the scouts have anything to do with how much we pay for players.

No but if you options are championship players from rivals who are well known you pay a significant premium to those elsewhere

3 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

A word of support for our scouting team since 2013 we have had 8 managers,Each manager bringing his own vision of how we should play,Each manager tasking the scouting team to find the type of player that they were looking for,Most of those players are still on the books,So they are what Cocu has to work with,We dont need a new scouting team we need continuity with the manager.A manager that stays for more than one season.

Compare that to our academy teams Wassell at the helm our under 23s and under 18s  play great football are successful,admired by other teams.Where do the players come from? They come from the same scouting team that are being attacked on here,Can any of you really picture any player signed by the likes of Rowett(the guy who couldnt get rid of Hughes quick enough) or Pearson who bought Ikechi Anya to the club

To my knowledge the scouting is split into 2 different areas and no one has criticised our youth recruitment. Senior player recruitment is very different and a good scout within the first meeting would have knowledge of a vast arraynof players for a new manager. Maybe not the same targets as for a previous manager but they go to such a wide range of games at different levels in different locations other players will spring to mind who 'fit the mould' 

5 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Football manager has foreign markets.... 

They just don't like boarding planes and aren't qualified. We have our owners son and our former managers son in 2 of the key scouting roles.... 

If you hire people with no real connections and contacts or experience in football from their own credit you'll get nothing but dross like we do. Look at what happened when lampard came in and his British contacts for loans (and what they are now doing this season). 

Need to go out and spend some of the money we're saving on someone really credible for finding hidden gems. Leicester, Brentford etc and then give them a senior role and a budget to bring in a few other people with knowledge of some foreign markets. 

Even nowadays it doesn't take alot to dominate some of the less obvious nations recruitment pools. Scandinavia etc is starting to get picked over but there's other areas to pick from

Do you have any proof the owners son in a key scouting role, I've not heard that.

14 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

No but if you options are championship players from rivals who are well known you pay a significant premium to those elsewhere

To my knowledge the scouting is split into 2 different areas and no one has criticised our youth recruitment. Senior player recruitment is very different and a good scout within the first meeting would have knowledge of a vast arraynof players for a new manager. Maybe not the same targets as for a previous manager but they go to such a wide range of games at different levels in different locations other players will spring to mind who 'fit the mould' 

As far as I'm aware, Mel's stepson was a part of the 'Own the Region' project, and any (voluntary, I may add) scouting he has done has been at a very local level concentrating on the kids coming into the academy, and therefore falls into the category you state is without complaint.

This may have changed, so I'm happy to be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

The point I was trying to make is imo the stability of the academy must be a great help to the scouts,Yes first team scout could suggest a number of players to the new manager every year but the club cannot sustain buying 4/6 new players every year

23 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I’ve heard he’s got a pair of jump leads in his car #ITK

He needs to apply them to the balls of the feckless wasters who have become millionaires without achieving anything, and only seem to turn up at a  match about twice in  a season.

Archived