Shaun Barker

uttoxram75

Heard a little tale today that made me laugh, No idea if its true but I'm going to repeat it anyway as I believe the source!

When talking to  Shaun Barker about signing him from Blackpool, we suddenly heard that Forest were after him and were prepared to offer more money. Nigel Clough ordered him straight to Morley Hayes as the phone reception there at the time was notoriously poor. Barker's agent was desperately trying to ring him but we rushed his signature through without him knowing about the gumps interest.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Barker signing for them lot I just can't imagine it... 

He may well have done, he's a Forest fan.  Never really quite sure how that works if you support one and play for the other. when you pack up playing do you revert to type.   I always think Camp was a proper pantomime villain, made out he was all Forest when he went there, but I saw him out with the Derby players at a club opening on The Wardwick having a jolly old time .

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He may well have done, he's a Forest fan.  Never really quite sure how that works if you support one and play for the other. when you pack up playing do you revert to type.   I always think Camp was a proper pantomime villain, made out he was all Forest when he went there, but I saw him out with the Derby players at a club opening on The Wardwick having a jolly old time .

make it rain money GIF

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Must have been heartwarming then for him to have been lay on the ground with a pretty much career ending injury having fellow forest fans chanting that they hope he dies.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Heard a little tale today that made me laugh, No idea if its true but I'm going to repeat it anyway as I believe the source!

When talking to  Shaun Barker about signing him from Blackpool, we suddenly heard that Forest were after him and were prepared to offer more money. Nigel Clough ordered him straight to Morley Hayes as the phone reception there at the time was notoriously poor. Barker's agent was desperately trying to ring him but we rushed his signature through without him knowing about the gumps interest.

Shaun Barker talks about it in his Rams TV Meets interview.  Said they offered more money and Blackpool wanted him to go there but he’d given Nigel his word.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think it must change your perspective, puts you in a position where you can't be either/or.

I generally believe you're only ever really a fan of one club "in your heart" but supposing you played for their rivals professionally, I don't think you'd ever really have the same animosity towards a club you'd been part of.

I don't think either Barker or Commons became Derby fans after playing for us, but I think both of them have a lot more time for us having represented the black and white.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bet Forest are still kicking themselves now after Barkers excellent injury record after signing for us

Until the horrific injury he had he a pretty good record with us, had a few issues but still played more often than not. Had he signed for Forest said last injury may never have happened , could still be playing today.

Im sure Forest would have considered him an excellent signing.

31 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it must change your perspective, puts you in a position where you can't be either/or.

I generally believe you're only ever really a fan of one club "in your heart" but supposing you played for their rivals professionally, I don't think you'd ever really have the same animosity towards a club you'd been part of.

I don't think either Barker or Commons became Derby fans after playing for us, but I think both of them have a lot more time for us having represented the black and white.

Barker still very close to the club. His foundation funded all the refurbishment in the sensory suite for our autistic supporters earlier this season. 

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I always think Camp was a proper pantomime villain, made out he was all Forest when he went there, but I saw him out with the Derby players at a club opening on The Wardwick having a jolly old time .

He’s a bigger Derby fan than all of us on here combined, how else do you explain his performances against us?

Yeah he came out and did an interview about 3 years ago maybe when he was at Bournemouth and claimed he was still and always had been Derby through and through, first result he looks for etc. 

I think allegiance is always strong to the teams players played for, regardless of feelings before that time came. It's possible to like two teams who are rivals, too. 

In Barker's case specifically, how he was treated by Derby after the injury is, I think, a huge reason why he's still such a familiar face around RamsTV and with the work his foundation does. Probably more of Nigel Clough's choices than anything else. 

Archived