Shameful

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

“Mason Bennett is one of our own.”

Those who chanted that tonight are a disgrace. The fact Cocu picked him and Lawrence is shameful. 

We were absolutely dire as well and Barnsley were robbed of a victory. 

Shameful.

And RIP to the Barnsley fan who died in the stand opposite us. Awful scenes. 

Four totally unrelated topics in one short post?  Is that a record?

Point one, perhaps not the wisest thing to sing just now but, hardly a disgrace.

Point two, I was surprised and disappointed that Lawrence was picked but not what I'd describe as shameful.

I don't think either team were great last night and I wouldn't say Barnsley were exactly robbed of victory. A draw was probably a fair result.

Point four, the Barnsley fan who sadly passed away. I don't think you'd find a football fan in the country that would disagree with you on that one. Just goes to remind us all that, contrary to what Bill Shankly said, football is no where near as important as life and death. Terrible thing to have happened.

Bringing Bennett on with minutes to play made it very very clear that the priority last night was to get those two players back on the pitch in a Derby shirt , in my view that came ahead of all else , winning the game , moral going forward of players not picked though being professional, players dropped from the team that got our first home win of the season but it’s ok the club have now reintegrated them , job done

wrong wrong wrong

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Bringing Bennett on with minutes to play made it very very clear that the priority last night was to get those two players back on the pitch in a Derby shirt , in my view that came ahead of all else , winning the game , moral going forward of players not picked though being professional, players dropped from the team that got our first home win of the season but it’s ok the club have now reintegrated them , job done

wrong wrong wrong

Or it was a punishment, nowhere to hide

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

wrong wrong wrong

So you have no objection against the dropping Malone(who IMO had a good game against Birmingham) to allow Lowe to move across,You dont seem to object Lawrence for Jozefzoon( who was crap on saturday) But somehow you express disgust at bringing Bennett on to waste some time??

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

For the fans yes.

The indignity of some fans . 

Maybe some of us don’t believe the players involved have suffered but I believe they have and will for a long time to come. 

I suggest they know they have made a terrible mistake and will be punished. 

Keogh will have 15 months when nobody can  boo him. 

The fans last night booed the players but I didn’t as I see no purpose would be served by that . 

33 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

So you have no objection against the dropping Malone(who IMO had a good game against Birmingham) to allow Lowe to move across,You dont seem to object Lawrence for Jozefzoon( who was crap on saturday) But somehow you express disgust at bringing Bennett on to waste some time??

No prob with Lowe , purely a football decision,

major problem with Lawrence for zoon as I thought my Bennett post would make very clear

oh and I did not say I was disgusted that was your exaggeration, I said it was wrong wrong wrong

Whilst respecting those who think they shouldn't have played yesterday (though not the hysterical ones who made it all about them) I think it was right to bring them back into the squad until the court date.

Let them hear the criticisms and comments now, not some watered down response in 6 weeks time. 

I am happy for the club to announce the punishment/rehabilitation in due course. In this kind of situation the players response to the incident will tell us as much about their character as the incident itself did.

10 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

This just goes right to the crux of why this forum exists. It's the foundation of what Derby County Football Club means.

I think the word 'club' is important. We're not just an audience or a customer base; we're tacitly members of a club. We've all incorporated DCFC into our identities. We all want the club to succeed - but no one supports Derby County for the glory. Whether you were born in Alveston or Galveston, whether you have had a season ticket for 50 years or just watch on the TV when you can, if you support Derby County you are part of the club. I love that the ground is filled with welders, accountants, labourers and secretaries. We're all Derby aren't we?

When I go on holiday, I often wear something with a Ram on it. Invariably, I meet other Derby fans and we have a chat - we have that common bond. Yet, identifying myself as a DCFC supporter also leads to conversations with supporters of other clubs. They are different but the same - our club allegiance is ingrained. We all feel a little pain when our clubs are struggling. But that is nothing compared to when the love of our clubs is shaken by actions which are morally bankrupt.

Drunk drivers kill people. Drunk drivers destroy lives. My club should never condone drunk driving. Playing Bennett and Lawrence before they've even been to court is not even giving them a slap on the wrist. Mel's apology on Saturday looks like empty spin. We might as well start marketing special discount on alcohol for those parking their cars near the ground - don't rush off; have a couple for the road. If you wrap your car around a lampost, we'll give you a paid week off work and then it'll be like nothing ever happened.

I know we all make mistakes. Maybe, after appropriate sanctions and signs of remorse, the pair could have been re-introduced to the team. Certainly it should not have even been considered until after the court case and club enquiry have concluded. They haven't even apologised yet! This is probably because they have been given legal advise not to - but what sort of message does it send that they play again without even signalling their contrition?

I don't care what other clubs have done in the past - this is my club and I am appalled and embarrassed by 'our' actions.

Excellent post.

10 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

This just goes right to the crux of why this forum exists. It's the foundation of what Derby County Football Club means.

I think the word 'club' is important. We're not just an audience or a customer base; we're tacitly members of a club. We've all incorporated DCFC into our identities. We all want the club to succeed - but no one supports Derby County for the glory. Whether you were born in Alveston or Galveston, whether you have had a season ticket for 50 years or just watch on the TV when you can, if you support Derby County you are part of the club. I love that the ground is filled with welders, accountants, labourers and secretaries. We're all Derby aren't we?

When I go on holiday, I often wear something with a Ram on it. Invariably, I meet other Derby fans and we have a chat - we have that common bond. Yet, identifying myself as a DCFC supporter also leads to conversations with supporters of other clubs. They are different but the same - our club allegiance is ingrained. We all feel a little pain when our clubs are struggling. But that is nothing compared to when the love of our clubs is shaken by actions which are morally bankrupt.

Drunk drivers kill people. Drunk drivers destroy lives. My club should never condone drunk driving. Playing Bennett and Lawrence before they've even been to court is not even giving them a slap on the wrist. Mel's apology on Saturday looks like empty spin. We might as well start marketing special discount on alcohol for those parking their cars near the ground - don't rush off; have a couple for the road. If you wrap your car around a lampost, we'll give you a paid week off work and then it'll be like nothing ever happened.

I know we all make mistakes. Maybe, after appropriate sanctions and signs of remorse, the pair could have been re-introduced to the team. Certainly it should not have even been considered until after the court case and club enquiry have concluded. They haven't even apologised yet! This is probably because they have been given legal advise not to - but what sort of message does it send that they play again without even signalling their contrition?

I don't care what other clubs have done in the past - this is my club and I am appalled and embarrassed by 'our' actions.

Top post Cornwall. Can't see how anyone could argue with any of those points. 

12 hours ago, Srg said:

Devil's advocate is that it's supporting someone after they made one of the biggest mistakes in their life, likely are feeling extremely remorseful, shameful and embarrassed and showing him some support might make the world of difference.

In my personal opinion, I think it's too soon and we could have waited a bit longer - maybe til after the international break.

Nobody agrees with drink driving, and no one condones it. It's affected everyone here in some way, even if indirectly. But you're also a liar if you haven't been questionably over the limit or got in a car with someone who perhaps has, even if it's the morning after the night before.

People make mistakes, and can regret them for a lifetime. They've both done something unbelievably reckless, but you wouldn't shun them the same if they came out and said they had a drink problem and were entering rehab, would you? You'd support them to try and change their lives for the better.

People just need to chill a little bit on this subject, we don't know the full story and we don't know what the players have said internally or how they're feeling. 

You've just said what I've been trying to say in all of my posts in the last 24 hours, and you've done it far more effectively and intelligibly than I have.

Archived