Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

I had hoped that this may be a literally one half too many job, combined with a  very wet road .  Unacceptable, but maybe forgiveable with correct punishment and admission of an error in judgement .    Over the last 24 hrs it appears we have paralytic players, one captain out for the season and the new one filming a team mate vomiting and in a horrendous state .  This is followed by the same vomiting player plus another inebriated  jackass speeding round the outskirts of Derby in high powered cars racing each other in that condition and in those conditions.  Disgraceful and embarrassing .  Sooner there all gone the better . 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give it a listen. Maybe I need to lower my expectations of our footballers then.

Whats the culture like abroad? I’m I too naive? I just don’t see the Barca or Bayern players doing this once a week.

I'm sure there's a level of a "party culture" at most clubs. Barcelona certainly did for a while. It's pretty well publicised that when Guardiola took over at Barcelona the reason he got rid of the likes of Deco and Ronaldinho was that they would go out partying once or twice a week and he didn't want that sort of attitude in his squad, in large part as to not be a bad influence on the younger players coming through.

The unfortunate part of this story with Derby is that it could very easily have happened at any number of clubs in this country, or for that matter most countries. 

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

Hopefully already been sacked

Couldn't agree more. Give his place to a hardworking lad who appreciates the opportunity. There's us all rooting for the working class local boy. Muppet.

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

I suggest you listen to The Magic Sponge podcast if you want an insight into what football’s really like. Group sessions are the norm in football. 

Arsenal Tuesday club used to be a pint every eight minutes, upped to twelve after the first player was sick, credit cards left behind the counter for the barman to deal with. 

As recently as last year you had Hugo Lloris getting so battered that he threw up at the wheel. 

10 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give it a listen. Maybe I need to lower my expectations of our footballers then.

Whats the culture like abroad? I’m I too naive? I just don’t see the Barca or Bayern players doing this once a week.

Great podcast but none of the guests were pros recently.

The expectations and culture have definitely changed (barring some exceptions, as we’ve just shown). Hence why I replied to @Archied and felt that, whilst the rest of his post was excellent, @Duracell was being naive when he suggested that players from the 1970s would turn their noses up.

With the statement earlier and then the announcement of Huddlestone as Captain, it would seem that the club wasn't aware of what was still to come (which surprises me).

Unfortunately I feel that may also leave DCFC in a very awkward position in respect of the future of the players involved (committing to their rehabilitation etc.), particularly give the developments of the last few hours.

Taking the front page of any national paper for this has brought the club into disrepute beyond anything else In recent memory, and is really threatening our reputation. We should make an example out of these two players in particular but feel that, unless we act differently following a verdict/sentencing, our response to this will look shameful in retrospect.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The expectations and culture have definitely changed (barring some exceptions, as we’ve just shown). Hence why I replied to @Archied and felt that, whilst the rest of his post was excellent, @Duracell was being naive when he suggested that players from the 1970s would turn their noses up.

Post supposed Wenger culture change though. You can’t really kill the culture until every single player who’s experienced it has gone. We know from The Sponge itself that Keogh hung around with David Noble, who hung around with Graham Stack, who hung around with the Arsenal squad of the time. 

Contracts typically state that you can’t have alcohol three days before a game, not sure if a fine if any alcohol was on board would work.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Call me naive about you calling me naive, but I do think the culture was different. Players would drink before and after the game, but my understanding - there will be those who know more than me who will say I’m wrong, I’ll see - was that it was more social. I recall a story about Cloughie getting Gemmill out of bed to finish a crate of champagne the night before Forest won the League Cup final, or something like that. But as much as the booze did flow, I somehow can’t imagine Dave Mackay holding back Charlie George’s locks as he chundered his pedigree down the urinal...

I get @cannable‘s point and generally speaking it’s seems I need to educate myself more here. However, let’s separate usual from normal. It may be usual for players to drink like this, but it’s not normal. Just because it happens a lot should not mean that we, as fans whose demand ultimately supplies the income, should accept it.

This may be a simplistic view, but this is where I admire German football. Their fans are much better at clubbing together to make a point, and not just on ticket prices.

8 minutes ago, JfR said:

I'm sure there's a level of a "party culture" at most clubs. Barcelona certainly did for a while. It's pretty well publicised that when Guardiola took over at Barcelona the reason he got rid of the likes of Deco and Ronaldinho was that they would go out partying once or twice a week and he didn't want that sort of attitude in his squad, in large part as to not be a bad influence on the younger players coming through.

The unfortunate part of this story with Derby is that it could very easily have happened at any number of clubs in this country, or for that matter most countries. 

That’s kind of the point though, isn’t it? It’s about pride in your job. Ronaldinho and Deco were arguably more talented than the vast majority of players in that Guadiola side, but their lack of commitment ultimately held them back. 

The difference between second and first tier players is often application rather than talent.

Just now, GrimsbyRam said:

On a serious note if there are insurances polices to cover injuries (I know this was something we never used to have in place), I wonder if any circumstances could invalidate the claim

I'm guessing alcohol related they won't pay out, and as its so well publicised I doubt Derby would even try to claim for it

But I'm not in the know

Found that photo, it's a still from the vid by the looks of it

Archived