Playing out from the Back

Coneheadjohn

Midfielders need to show more options, defenders can't play forward if their are no options.

Don't be fooled by yesterday, Leeds are the best pressing side in the league. They make you look poo at passing, but if you can beat the press you get opportunities. You have to keep trying.

If we as a team want to play out from the back, we have to keep playing out from the back. It's simply the only way we get better. We'll have a much easier time against other teams and will improve as long as we stick at it and work out the problems in training.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Carnero said:

All we need is some common sense, play out from the back where possible, if nothing is on then go long, preferably to one of the wings.

It's not rocket science.

I'm looking at you Kelle Roos.

Absolutely, pick your moments and pick your opponents.

A high pressing, table topping Leeds team gagging for revenge at Elland Road? Probably alright to play it long once in a while.

I like having that philosophy/style of play,  just be practical about it. 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

For me its Roos biggest strength, and do feel he is better at this than Carson was.

Didn't look great at it yesterday.

For me a team has to be able to decide when it's right to play out from the back and when to hoof it long. Afterall if you only play out from the back the opposition always know what you will do.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't look great at it yesterday.

For me a team has to be able to decide when it's right to play out from the back and when to hoof it long. Afterall if you only play out from the back the opposition always know what you will do.

I think judging on yesterday is tough.

Leeds were excellent for most of the game at closing us down.

We need to judge over a period of time not 8 games into a season and certainly not after yesterday.

At times yesterday it didnt look like we were even fielding professional footballers never mind those capable of playing out from the back.

This was more to do with Leeds than us.

31 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

You think Man City thought Norwich would be able to 'match' them? L**ds won't be the only team capable of closing down - don't even have to do it all the time if we don't mix it up, they can pick their moment.

3 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

We have a tendency to play what I call ‘a suicide ball’ which is a wrong pass to a player either under pressure or the ball isn’t accurate enough. It’s happened several times this season. 

I have said before sometimes we are creators of our own downfall. I am not sure what we should do though because I think playing it out is the way forward but we need to do it quicker and more fluent.

This all day long ,also players are continually the wrong side of an opposing player to receive a pass.It was less prevalent last year under Frank but we've slipped back again .

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Leeds were excellent for most of the game at closing us down.

We need to judge over a period of time not 8 games into a season and certainly not after yesterday.

At times yesterday it didnt look like we were even fielding professional footballers never mind those capable of playing out from the back.

What about Brentford - exactly the same thing happened?

3 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

What about Brentford - exactly the same thing happened?

I did say 8 games is too early to judge.

To the best of my knowledge a season is 46 games, let's give it a bit longer.

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I did say 8 games is too early to judge.

To the best of my knowledge a season is 46 games, let's give it a bit longer.

I was responding to your comment about judging on yesterday as it was Leeds.  It happened the game before away too was my point.  

Too early to judge but not too early to see that Flo Jo is worse that Abdul Camara.  How many first halves have we look terrible and had to change it massively.  Should be learning by now.

5 hours ago, Carnero said:

All we need is some common sense, play out from the back where possible, if nothing is on then go long, preferably to one of the wings.

It's not rocket science.

I'm looking at you Kelle Roos.

Indeed and it’s not just Roos.

Its almost as if yesterday our backline would look up see no options and would say duck it I’m going to pass it out anyway! 

3 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I am not a fan of Cardiff style football , but yesterday and all season apart from Huddersfield the football has been slow , turgid and completely ineffective. Keogh and Clarke are not good enough on the ball to play this way IMO, Keogh passed the ball back to Roos every ducking time , who then just hoofed it randomly back to them, you may as well just hoof straight from your centre back or play a slide ball down the channels for Marriott to chase than doing that.  Its not completely the defenders fault as the midfield movement was poor, but I just think the Clarke and Keogh are slow in their decision making and can't see a pass well,  if we had someone with a lot of quality on the ball we could use our centre backs to build up, but as it is I would rather we get the ball quickly into the midfield and then build up from there or direct to Martin or Marriott.

I'm glad someone mentioned the centre halves. It's not roos or the cdms, it's them. Too slow, not accurate enough.

We aren’t good enough to do it. Few teams in the championship are. I love it when teams try to pass out from the back because they will inevitably gift you an opportunity. Reading at Pride Park last season,for example. I think we have given pretty much every team we have played this season a chance with our sideways passing. It’s unnecessary and hasn’t in any way helped us cut teams open from what I can recall. There’s a time to do it, when you are under no pressure but passing 15 yards to Huddlestone when he is facing his own goal and with a man up his back is madness. The best that can happen is he gives it back to the goalkeeper. Not for me I’m afraid. 

The issue is the midfield. Individually the players are okay/good enough but the balance isn't right. I am sure our defence would be alright at playing out if they had City's midfield and attack movement in front of them. Perhaps a lazy example but there definitely needs to be more movement and space being created by the midfield.

Archived