Playing out from the Back

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're definitely not good enough to do it. As I have said elsewhere the main issue is our midfield isn't mobile enough to find space the defence can pass into. Indeed the entire team fails to work hard enough to ensure we keep possession. 

One of the worst aspects is the number of times we pass back to the keeper who often has no option other than to pump the ball in the air towards our diminutive forwards. 

In the second half yesterday the midfield pushed on a bit and Leeds stopped pressing quite so hard. 

The team looked more confident on the ball and occasionally passed forwards rather than sideways or backwards. 

32 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

It worries me.

Sounds awful but I’m not sure we’re good enough to do it?

Problem is do we have anybody who can win a header to do any different?

I have to say I don’t particularly like it but I think, and this isn’t just us, teams need to be a bit more inventive about it rather than pass it sideways approach. Possibly something like on your first goal kick, pass it forward quickly to a midfielder, so then when other teams have a high line then you start to make them second guess (OR do this so it makes them push more players forward then BAM! ROUTE ONE OVER THE TOP. Genius!).

Trouble is that you need mobility in the centre of the park to be effective playing out - the defensive mid needs to find space to give the defence options - having Hudlestone in there stops that working as he isn't quick enough to move and has such a slow turning circle that even if they pass to him, he can't then move into space and and push us forward. I think Bielik could do that, but Cocu seems reluctant to take Hudds out and try something different.....

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

It worries me.

Sounds awful but I’m not sure we’re good enough to do it?

Not sure today is the best time to assess our attributes for this. 
We've just played by far the best pressing team in the division.  They are exceedingly good at it, despite what the result shows. 
I doubt we'll struggle so much against anyone else, and particularly at home, so gotta be worth persevering with for a while longer, at least. 

We have a tendency to play what I call ‘a suicide ball’ which is a wrong pass to a player either under pressure or the ball isn’t accurate enough. It’s happened several times this season. 

I have said before sometimes we are creators of our own downfall. I am not sure what we should do though because I think playing it out is the way forward but we need to do it quicker and more fluent.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

All we need is some common sense, play out from the back where possible, if nothing is on then go long, preferably to one of the wings.

It's not rocket science.

I'm looking at you Kelle Roos.

Agree. Adapt to the situation on the battlefield 

I'm not opposed to it but what is apparent is that it needs a bit of working on. The amount of times we panicked yesterday and hoofed it long to Marriott only for it to come straight back was almost our undoing. It's the lack of movement in front of the man with the ball that seems to be the main problem. We certainly have the players with the ability to play this way. A bit more bravery and willingness to receive the ball and it can be a devastatingly effective way to play if you beat that initial high press that some teams adopt.

There's nothing wrong with playing out from the back in and of itself. It just takes time for English sides to learn how to do it. 

I remember when David Wagner first took over Huddersfield and they came to PPS. They were playing out from the back and not looking good at it, and our fans were sat there wondering why Huddersfield were bothering with it. We beat them 2-0 I think, but you could see what they were trying to do and they got better at it.

It takes an adjustment in the way we play right through the team, but it's worth sticking with if you can get it right, because then you end up dominating games.

13 minutes ago, Carnero said:

common sense, play out from the back where possible, if nothing is on then go long, preferably to one of the wings.

Exactly. Just a bit of common sense is needed. We seem to have this tendancy to make passes that are never on in the first place. It's suicide. Losing the ball in your defence is something we shouldn't be talking about. If we start playing with a bit more of a footballing brain we would reduce the amount of chances, shots and even goals against us massively.

For me we should continue to play out of the back, but we must have other options than to kick it down field for the opponents big defenders to take the ball off us. For me I can think of two ways. 

1-kick to the sides of the pitch so that we can use sped on the flanks

2- the use of CM, not only to hold the ball up ( and win a number of free kicks of course) but to bring Waghorn and Marriott into play, I called this before the Leeds game, I still think it’s a better option 

6 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

A bit more bravery and willingness to receive the ball

This is it. When we play out the defender with the ball is taking forever to find a pass and then when understandably gets pressed, panics and plays a poor ball putting us at risk of conceding again. We need this rotational midfield, our players being a bit more confident moving into good positions giving our defence options. Currently we look too static.

30 minutes ago, Carnero said:

All we need is some common sense, play out from the back where possible, if nothing is on then go long, preferably to one of the wings.

It's not rocket science.

I'm looking at you Kelle Roos.

Agreed, surely just play the percentages, if it’s on fine, if not don’t do it ??

8 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Not  opposed to it - but need a keeper and personnel to do it 

For me its Roos biggest strength, and do feel he is better at this than Carson was.

Is the rest of his job i am worried about.

The continuous hipocricy of the fans baffles me. When Rowett is lumping long balls up field we moan, and now when we are trying to play proper football we moan. 

It happens with most teams who are trying to do it, Norwich last year and Huddersfield under Wagner all took a season to get their feet under the carpet. Cocu has barley had a pre season, and needs this year to lay down the philosophy.

The big worry for me is the recruitment team. Chris Evans was terrible and Joe Maclaren needs sacking. Stuart Webbers work at Norwich and Huddersfield has to be commended, and a recruitment strategy like those teams needs to be looked at.

10 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The continuous hipocricy of the fans baffles me. When Rowett is lumping long balls up field we moan, and now when we are trying to play proper football we moan. 

It happens with most teams who are trying to do it, Norwich last year and Huddersfield under Wagner all took a season to get their feet under the carpet. Cocu has barley had a pre season, and needs this year to lay down the philosophy.

The big worry for me is the recruitment team. Chris Evans was terrible and Joe Maclaren needs sacking. Stuart Webbers work at Norwich and Huddersfield has to be commended, and a recruitment strategy like those teams needs to be looked at.

I look at our recruitment compared to others with far fewer resources and cry a little bit inside Sometimes 

Archived