Birmingham City (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proved today that if you want to play possession football as we so obviously do ! You need to be able to get the ball to stick up front , no good it keep bouncing back go back to a proper 4-3-3 . Play Martin up top as that focal point , that pivot in effect , let Huddlestone sit on n his own in the quarter back role and dictate the tempo , move Bielik back into the back four , someone who is comfortable on the ball , Clarke panics a bit to much for me in there . Use Marriott off the bench for that impact , someone who can get in behind if needed . Oh and give Hamer a go in the sticks because Roos is not the answer.

Hamer 

Lowe.     Keogh.        Bielik.     Malone

Huddlestone 

Holmes.          Dowell 

Waghorn.       Martin.       Paterson 

I think after his performance today Martin has to play and also Paterson as from they few times he got on the ball he looked quality and I think he will do quite abit better than Lawrence or Jozefoon.

I would play 442 and play a more counter attacking and direct approach instead of the side ways passing that has been so ineffective for the majority of the this season. I've also not been too impressed with Clarke so far either for "a ball playing centre back" he isn't too great on the ball and Davies is probably still more solid even at his age.

Roos

Lowe  Keogh  Davies Malone

Holmes   Bielik Knight  Paterson

Martin Marriott

No Lawrence or Dowell please to god, I can’t take any passengers. Same goes for flojo, don’t want anyone vanishing here in the way we’ve seen most of the season so far- want to see fight and desire every minute from all 11 players. Should be something that you get every week really, but we haven’t seemed to so far this season. That’s the bare minimum we can expect and any players were carrying shouldn’t be in the squad with how things are going, simple as.

Clarke also absolutely must be withdrawn from the defence here imo or were in serious trouble and will continue in our current fashion. Dunno whether it’s just nerves or what, but he looks a truly truly terrible footballer atm. For the time being at least, we can’t persist with him and his inability to make the correct decision playing out from the back. Seems to hold on the ball far too long and not have any idea what to do with it, then either hoofs it and concedes possession or puts another team mate in trouble. Massive contributor to our problems passing out the back so for the time being at least, it’s time to pull him out until he learns how to pass out by practicing in training. Only trouble is who replaces him, as there isn’t a great deal of options.

Put my lineup in the other match thread but I’ll stick in here anorl cause I’m obviously the best manager round these parts, much better than that Dutch fraud?

Hamer

Bogle Keogh Buchanan Lowe

Bielik

Knight Holmes

Waghorn Martin Paterson

Think that lineup is about the best we can muster atm, and has our best chance of getting a good result given what I saw today. Actually feel we learnt a lot today about the team and wouldn’t feel confident with much deviation from the above, save for maybe someone other than Buchanan at the back. Think we need to get bogle and Lowe playing together (for the first time?) as they’re our best chance at creativity currently, just hope they have enough defensive nous between them. Would be something if they can form a real position of strength for us, two academy graduates. Roos looks a liability at the moment so needs dropping for hamer. Need to go out a bit more attacking at home than we have been and have more baalocks to go 433 with Beilik given a proper Lone cdm role, with knight acting as the box to box and Holmes as the creator. That’s our best midfield balance imo. Martin and Paterson both deserve starts after their cameos and the poor performances of Marriott, Lawrence and flojo.

Lots of changes but absolutely needed because, regardless of the brilliant result, today’s performance was truly atrocious when you look past the brilliant moment of silencing the Leeds scumbags. Pretty much every other moment of the game was painful to watch, and if we keep playing like that we’ll get relegated, simple as. Won’t always get as lucky as that. Cocu has to see the problems with the team, work on them in training, and set the team up better from the start (more like how we finished today than how we started). Really has to start showing his managerial ability more as, despite being sold a dud of a squad, the performances so far have been embarrassingly poor at times and he should be getting more out of his players.

Need to see a lot better movement, we were far too static today. Need to see players making runs To make the opposition defence think a bit, make some options rather than just standing still and hoping whoever’s in possession comes up with some magic. That sort of thing needs to be worked on in training, so players know each other’s game and who needs to be where going forward for us to open up defences with some quicker, crisper passing than we’ve seen recently. Need to be working on playing out from the back as well, in terms of how to beat the press, and where to position yourself as an option to make it easier for the defence to play the ball into midfield. Key things that need working on over the week or cocu is starting to look a little ropey in my eyes.

Vital that we get a win here so the result today becomes a turning point. Personally don’t think our run of games has been that hard so don’t buy that excuse, nor do I think our upcoming run of games is that easy either. But we need to turn our form around, and hopefully with some confidence from that point, this can be the game, at home, to do exactly that. Really do need a win and quick to kickstart our season or we’ll spiral into a relegation battle.

I saw the highlights and was horrified at the level of organisation of our defence,.

The line was nowhere near straight so they're not moving up and down as a unit. Players seemingly running into each others spaces or away from each other alternately. 

Dreadful lack of anticipation of crosses. 

It really did look a mess. Leeds were not doing anything especially intricate but players seemed totally confused as to whether to stand off or close down. 

Roos (but would rather have Carson)

Bogle/Lowe ( thought Lowe played well against Leeds) Keogh Davies ( not a Clarke fan) Malone

Bielik Huddlestone 

waghorn.                      Marriott.               Lawrence/Holmes

Martin

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Clarke may not be in form but replacing him with someone ruled out for a few months with a bad injury doesn't seem the best plan to me. ?

He's still got one leg hasn't he? 

19 hours ago, RamNut said:

Clarke seems to spread his jittery nerves to the rest of the back four 

Roos

bogle.       Keogh.      Evans.       Lowe

.                       Bielik 

.  Holmes.   Knight.   Shinnie

Waggy/marriott.   Martin 

No idea whether shinnie is the answer but at least he is left footed

two quality wide players are required.

Good shout with Evans at the back. Good on ball and a great game last season vs Bristol. 

16 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Loving Martin suddenly appearing on everyone's teamsheet.

We might be onto something.

At last.

As long as it’s not at Waghorns expense ...watched the game again today ...his work rate is really under valued 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hes been good on the wing,no doubt 

I still think he’s more of a striker and does score some good goals he’s not a winger but he does get back and do the dirty work and get blocks in ...good team player 

22 minutes ago, Saity said:

I still think he’s more of a striker and does score some good goals he’s not a winger but he does get back and do the dirty work and get blocks in ...good team player 

He does,but I think that martin (now he's fit) will suit what cocu is trying to achieve in the number 9 role better..  he brings other players in better than waghorn.

They both have their qualities,but waghorn can also be utilised in the winger role whilst still involving Martin in the number 9 spot which is a good combination whilst we are lacking a dedicated winger on that side.

Assuming Bogle is fit I'd go:

Hamer

Bogle     Keogh      Clarke     Lowe

Bielik

Waghorn      Knight      Holmes

Marriott       Martin

I find the situation with Shinnie baffling but I suppose until he gets a proper opportunity to show his worth then he's unlikely to be given a starting place anytime soon.

Archived