George Evans

MackworthRamIsGod

Davies is a proper defender. Looks amazing in a backs-to-the-wall, Rowett-esque, head it and kick it, defend on the edge of your own box, concede possession type team. Ask him to dominate the ball, play out from the back, use mobility to cover the increased spacing and you're always going to want more out of him. 

He's what we have needed in the past month to steady a ship which was frankly all over the place, however, in a Cocu team with the philosophy he has, he's going to make distribution mistakes and he's going to need replacing - especially given his age anyway,

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

During the 2013/14 season he was alright. His number of crosses finding targets was good and his pass % was 83% which is above average for our side.

While that is the only season he's ever managed >80% pass completion; he was only just under in his 2/3 of a season in the prem with WBA and I can't find detailed stats of his time with Salzburg.

He was pretty poor on the ball during Rowett's time though, for sure. But then, most of our team was.

Rowett insisted on his players being poor on the ball.....as far as I remember.

15 minutes ago, KCG said:

I think you are guilty of having a convenient bad memory. Remember, when he is given his chance, that you heard it here first.

I don't think I am. I've always thought that his final pass/cross has been frustrating, but I don't think he'd stick out in a side attempting to play out from the back. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't think I am. I've always thought that his final pass/cross has been frustrating, but I don't think he'd stick out in a side attempting to play out from the back. 

I am not sure I have a good enough memory to sing his praises or not but his strength is ....his strength. He can take a ball off a player and if he has the ball it is difficult to get it off him. He is a more powerful player than most of our current crew, he would add some muscle to our mix. Wouldn’t be right for every game and in the end it is all about balance, but if you need what he has then it’s daft to ignore it. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Against Boro last season at LB he was brilliant. One of his best games for us. 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I am not sure I have a good enough memory to sing his praises or not but his strength is ....his strength. He can take a ball off a player and if he has the ball it is difficult to get it off him. He is a more powerful player than most of our current crew, he would add some muscle to our mix. Wouldn’t be right for every game and in the end it is all about balance, but if you need what he has then it’s daft to ignore it. 

While his strength is a good attribute to have and is highly effective in a lot of situations, I do wonder whether he relies on it a bit too much. Sometimes I feel that he forgoes the basics of defending, such as positioning and jockeying, simply because he knows that he's likely to be able to barge the opposing player off the ball. 

13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

While his strength is a good attribute to have and is highly effective in a lot of situations, I do wonder whether he relies on it a bit too much. Sometimes I feel that he forgoes the basics of defending, such as positioning and jockeying, simply because he knows that he's likely to be able to barge the opposing player off the ball. 

I seem to remember he's very good at pointing. #notafan

Archived