George Evans

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Is he injured?

I thought he had started brightly and was emerging as this years surprise talent (Bogle last year). 

He seems to have disappeared, did he make a clanger that I dont recall, is he injured, or is he just an easy person to drop?

I'd go for an easy player to drop. He's a bit meh really isn't he. Only the poorness of the other midfielders make him look up to much imho anyway.

I think in the games he has played he has gone about his job very effectively. 

I am still pretty stunned that he was dropped and Huddlestone and Dowell kept their place in the team. 

I would play him alongside Shinnie in something like this until Bogle is fit:

Roos
          Keogh Bielik Clarke
Holmes                            Lowe
              Evans   Shinnie
                  Lawrence
           Waghorn   Marriott

I think he's been rather unfortunate not to get a run in the team, given Huddlestone and Dowell's current form.

He sort of made way for Bielik/Knight. 

He can't play in Dowell's role but I think Knight can. Evans would give Huddlestone more defensive cover if we keep playing him.

I also think he's one of those players that does a lot of work that goes un-noticed.

29 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

On his best days he is OK.

In comparison on Johnson or Bryson’s (best days) they were amazing.

Kind of feel that says it all.

That is a problem, too many OK performers..... and actually a few not very OK ones ? 

Did start pretty well, but he’s a distinctly average player at this level. Bit of an Alex Pearce in central midfield. Was seemingly dropped to add a bit of balance to midfield and switch to a proper 433 rather than a 4231. Not convinced that’s entirely worked out. For a team challenging for promotion he shouldn’t be starting- he’s a tidy player and battles hard but he lacks any real quality. That said, we could just do with someone in midfield who actually can do the basics atm, since that seems to be too much to ask of the lazy half arsed lot in there at the minute. So I’d put him in for Huddz as a defensive shield, at least he may offer some defending. Shows where we’re at in midfield though, and it really isn’t good.

8 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Last season’s dross becoming this season’s saviour; kind of says it all really. 

Dross? 

He struggled to gain form early days - very similar to many players this season.

Had a long injury; came back and absolutely rescued us in defence those two away games when needed. 

Can't see anyone saying he's our saviour either - talk about over- reaction! 

I thought it was a legitimate question to ask given our current run of form.

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Dross? 

He struggled to gain form early days - very similar to many players this season.

Had a long injury; came back and absolutely rescued us in defence those two away games when needed. 

Can't see anyone saying he's our saviour either - talk about over- reaction! 

I thought it was a legitimate question to ask given our current run of form.

He was poor last season which is why the manager chose not to play him and when he did we had performances (not alone) like the one at Villa. Yes, he did well in 1 and a half games at centre half, but when playing in midfield gives the ball away consistently. I am sorry but as a midfielder he is poor and has shown nothing. As a centre half I haven’t seen enough to judge so that may well be his best position. 

The point being that this season we are having to rely and hope players who weren’t good enough last season are suddenly going to become big players for us and I’m afraid it isn’t going to happen because they lack the quality to do so. Our recruitment has been dire and hoping players like Evans suddenly become a George Williams is slightly delusional in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd go for an easy player to drop. He's a bit meh really isn't he. Only the poorness of the other midfielders make him look up to much imho anyway.

Strange he isn't playing then eh? @RoyMac5 If the poorness of the other players, make him look up to much, then that would suggest he IS better than the rest.

ERGO why not play him?

I thought his conversion to centre back was a success and that this would be his breakthrough season alongside keogh.

but we then went out and got clarke 

any success clarke has is therefore at the expense of evans

then we bought bielik which dropped clarke pushing evans further down the pecking order

i thought he could have covered for bogle but we are using a left footer instead?

this season he started as huddz minder but the balance was wrong with two holding players and so he was dropped for tactical reasons.

Hope that Beilik is fully fit once the international break is over as his best position is CDM. He can tackle, he can pass, both long and short, and he can run with the ball. In fact  a quicker George Thorne, and hopefully a fitter one. Whether Thudd stays in the team or not I don't know, but Beilik seems to be what we are crying out for in midfield right now.

If i am right, and it has happened before (May 1987 if my memory serves me right), then it won't be so critical if Clarke or Evans is in central defence because they will be being shielded better, and have an outlet.

Hamer

Evans       Keogh      Clarke

Bogle           Holmes    Bielek             Lowe

Lawrence

Waghorn               Marriott

This is the way to success

3 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

He was poor last season which is why the manager chose not to play him and when he did we had performances (not alone) like the one at Villa. Yes, he did well in 1 and a half games at centre half, but when playing in midfield gives the ball away consistently. I am sorry but as a midfielder he is poor and has shown nothing. As a centre half I haven’t seen enough to judge so that may well be his best position. 

The point being that this season we are having to rely and hope players who weren’t good enough last season are suddenly going to become big players for us and I’m afraid it isn’t going to happen because they lack the quality to do so. Our recruitment has been dire and hoping players like Evans suddenly become a George Williams is slightly delusional in my opinion. 

Thank you but I don't think that I am delusional. I try to look at how players are doing in the here and now on the pitch.

I think his performances so far this season have been better than either Huddlestone or Dowell and on that basis I think he is unlucky to be the one missing out. 

I like players in midfield that compete for the ball on the ground and in the air, have some mobility and can keep the ball moving quickly, all of which - on recent performances - I  think Evans can offer. 

By the way, if Rowett hadn't have given another chance to a player who wasn't good enough in the previous season Vydra would never have been leading goalscorer the next season.

If a player fits into a system then they can shine.

Not saying that Evans is that perfect fit but I am not convinced that keep playing the current midfield three is working well at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thank you but I don't think that I am delusional. I try to look at how players are doing in the here and now on the pitch.

I think his performances so far this season have been better than either Huddlestone or Dowell and on that basis I think he is unlucky to be the one missing out. 

I like players in midfield that compete for the ball on the ground and in the air, have some mobility and can keep the ball moving quickly, all of which - on recent performances - I  think Evans can offer. 

By the way, if Rowett hadn't have given another chance to a player who wasn't good enough in the previous season Vydra would never have been leading goalscorer the next season.

If a player fits into a system then they can shine.

Not saying that Evans is that perfect fit but I am not convinced that keep playing the current midfield three is working well at the moment. 

Well clearly the midfield isn’t working at the moment and being better than Huddlestone and Dowell is hardly a ringing endorsement! Whether Evans is a better fit than them at the moment is not really relevant to the point I was making, although is to the original post. 

I said that anyone who thinks Evans is going to suddenly become a quality midfielder such as George Williams is delusional and I stand by that point. I have a feeling that you don’t believe that either but might think that he is a slightly better fit than what we are currently playing which is a different matter altogether. 

If we are going to progress and push towards promotion then I am afraid we are going to need better than Evans. 

As for Vydra, he had shown signs of quality before and previous managers played him as a lone centre forward which he clearly wasn’t so I don’t think the two cases are quite comparable. 

It’s intriguing that players nowadays are lumped into different categories of what they can or cannot do, for example midfielders and our particular obsession with having a defensive midfielder who then cannot do anything else like run around the pitch athletically with an ability to close people down,backtrack,support an attack, tackle or pass forwards - we seem to have a lot of these of which Evans may be one alongside Huddlestone and Thorne as for Belick only time will tell.

if we went for a solid collective of 4 in the actual midfield working together we would start winning the ball and be able to support the forwards and yes I think there should be two of them working as a pair and currently probably any two of Marriott Martin and waghorn with maybe Bennett sometimes and kids as needed, so yes it would be 442

• 2 months later...

Really solid performance after he came on against Boro.

Did the defensive side really well but his passing range seems to have improved massively this season.

Personally, I would consider playing him at the back with Clarke, and taking out Davies. CD is the weak-link in our back four at the minute, in my opinion.

- - - - - - - - - - Roos - - - - - - - - - -

Bogle - - Evans - - - Clarke - - Malone

Archived