George Evans

MackworthRamIsGod

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Really solid performance after he came on against Boro.

Did the defensive side really well but his passing range seems to have improved massively this season.

Personally, I would consider playing him at the back with Clarke, and taking out Davies. CD is the weak-link in our back four at the minute, in my opinion.

- - - - - - - - - - Roos - - - - - - - - - -

Bogle - - Evans - - - Clarke - - Malone

I agree, he has stepped in well at CB before but I think he will been seen as cover for both CB and Bielik at least until any January incomings / youth promotion. 

I thought he looked very smooth and commanding when he came on. With injuries and all the rest of the mess recently I think he is a forgotten asset and could be a key player as the season progresses. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It's entirely possible that Wisdom and Evans could be our centre-back pairing next season. Especially if we have little money to spend.

Would love to see that as an experiment in the FA Cup in January.

Let’s hope not especially Wisdom unless he has improved massively from last season.

11 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I mean he said in the podcast with his brother his position was CB. That’s all. 

I know, but Theo Walcott used to claim he was a striker when he wasn't. Interestingly enough, Wisdom also said that he spent a while playing on the wing in his academy days. I don't think it's a big issue, but I wouldn't use it as an excuse for his average performances at RB last season (not saying you are).

I don't actually mind Wisdom. I do think he's too reliant on his physical attributes, but I don't think he's as bad as some were making out (although, as per usual, spending time away from the pitch seems to have made him the answer to our problems). I certainly think it's worth trying him at CB at some point, but I think we need to see him there for a decent period of time in a Derby shirt before judging what his actual position is. I didn't see a single minute of him playing there for Salzburg, so forgive me if he was brilliant as a CB.

1 hour ago, derbydaz22 said:

Let’s hope not especially Wisdom unless he has improved massively from last season.

We need to at least try, otherwise we don't know. We've never tried him at CB. However we know his most successful season as a player came with him playing at CB.  It stands to reason we should give him a shot. Otherwise we could spend £5m on someone from League 1 who is as much of a risk anyway.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Did the defensive side really well but his passing range seems to have improved massively this season.

Personally, I would consider playing him at the back with Clarke, and taking out Davies. CD is the weak-link in our back four at the minute, in my opinion.

Agreed, looked really good when he came on thought he looked a bit better than Bielik (with a huge caveat that he came on for an easier part of the game).

I definately see where you are coming from with that back 4 with the other option being to move Bielik back there with Evans in the midfield. 

With Davies it's a bit tricky because he unsurprisingly doesn't look supremely comfortable in the system but aerially he's been super dominant. With Clarke's improving form I feel the need for Davies is becoming less and less and we might be better off with someone like Evans there.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Good signing by Frank.  Just needs to have a bit of luck with injuries now

Frank's hit rate on signings was astonishingly good.

Evans, Holmes, Shinnie... all decent bargain basement buys with potential.

Tomori, Wilson, Mount... world class loans.

Marriott, Malone and Waghorn. Mainstays of the team, Consistent output.

Only Josephzoon really classed as a bad buy at this point.

22 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

We need to at least try, otherwise we don't know. We've never tried him at CB. However we know his most successful season as a player came with him playing at CB.  It stands to reason we should give him a shot. Otherwise we could spend £5m on someone from League 1 who is as much of a risk anyway.

22 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The problem for me is he often switches off and I think he would be a liability at CB.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Who would you put as captain if he was dropped? I'd say Shinnie.

However in my opinion I can see Evans starting over Bielik on Saturday, with the injury and all that.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

CD is the weak-link in our back four at the minute, in my opinion.

I have to disagree strongly on this - He's the one holding it all together - Clarke looks classy but a couple of mistakes in early games and he seemed to fall apart - Even now his confidence seems iffy - Bogle is great but young and needs a guiding hand most of the time - Malone and Lowe are both good but need dragging back to do their defending - And Roos needs someone in front to shout at him occasionally

We need a proper leader in there and none but Davies will do in that role

I thought Evans looked classy as hell when he came on though - That's the guy Lampard signed as far as I'm concerned - Fully believe that version of Evans trained at Man City

57 minutes ago, Squid said:

Who would you put as captain if he was dropped? I'd say Shinnie.

However in my opinion I can see Evans starting over Bielik on Saturday, with the injury and all that.

Yes, Shinne for me. 

48 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I have to disagree strongly on this - He's the one holding it all together - Clarke looks classy but a couple of mistakes in early games and he seemed to fall apart - Even now his confidence seems iffy - Bogle is great but young and needs a guiding hand most of the time - Malone and Lowe are both good but need dragging back to do their defending - And Roos needs someone in front to shout at him occasionally

We need a proper leader in there and none but Davies will do in that role

I thought Evans looked classy as hell when he came on though - That's the guy Lampard signed as far as I'm concerned - Fully believe that version of Evans trained at Man City

Respect your opinion, but I am amazed that, from the last couple of games, you've seen Davies holding that back four together. He looks really uncomfortable in a possession-heavy team. You can see why Cocu initially did not fancy him. His pace is also really being shown up, especially next to Clarke, who isn't the quickest. Evans has a bit more pace about him, is quite vocal on the pitch and looks, at the minute, like one of the best ball-players in our team. We need someone in there who can carry the ball out like Keogh did. Davies isn't going to do that.

This "proper leader" thing doesn't really work for me either. Jake Buxton is a leader but I wouldn't want to put him in this back four. 

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He looks really uncomfortable in a possession-heavy team. 

His pace is also really being shown up, especially next to Clarke, who isn't the quickest.

We need someone in there who can carry the ball out like Keogh did. Davies isn't going to do that.

So it seems to me that what you want is primarily a footballer - What I want is primarily a defender - Davies may not be the very best individual option we have in that position currently (for the reasons you state above) but he's the one organising and adding discipline to the back 5/6

I rate Evans but he's not played CB for the majority of his career so expecting him to drop back there an immediately start marshaling the defence is a very big ask - You usually need a defender with years of experience to do that

Interestingly in the first 2/3 games Clarke was venturing forward loads but seems to have retreated back now - Not sure if he's been told to do that or whether it's a confidence thing - But he's your marauder from deep if you need one

Archived