v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Who started today that is in the starting XI or near it? Only Bennett? Holmes would be but not he’s coming back to fitness.

No was saying as a general observation that regardless of tonight our first team squad is also seriously lacking in quality in some key positions

Probably didn't make it very clear in my original post 

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Shang said:

Just to remind everything Mel is approaching this as a LONG TERM PROJECT. Us fans need to stop treating everything so short term if we want long term success. As long as we don't get relegated this is all so we can be a better team in the long run. We're following in the footsteps of teams like Norwich where a vision was laid down and over 2-3 years they came to fruition. We need to trust the process as we can't keep hitting reset every year.

In my opinion anyone expecting top 6 this year needs to lower their expectations, anything higher than mid table is a bonus.

What a load of rubbish. Do you think Mel has got Rooney as a long term plan.?

if we finish in the bottom half then Mel will sack Cocu, no question at all. 

25 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He appears to have no concept of how big this game is to Derby fans.  That, to me is a bare minimum.  Hope he enjoyed his training session this evening.  Sure those crawling back on a closed A52, who didn't see there side register a shot have enjoyed it just as much .  Marriott providing balls for Bennett ????

Regarding the bringing through of youth- ultimately the best young dutch players are always going to be at Ajax or PSV.  The success rate of youngsters coming into the side will be high regardless of manager.

I'd rather lose no games to Forest, but if we do at least make it a game .

I think this is a good point as PSV and Ajax survive and punch above their weight developing young players - often the best that Holland has to offer - we just don’t have the same quality coming through 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

What a load of rubbish. Do you think Mel has got Rooney as a long term plan.?

if we finish in the bottom half then Mel will sack Cocu, no question at all. 

I agree, I think top half has to be the bare minimum, if we hover around 13th-16th he will be gone by Christmas.

9 minutes ago, Shang said:

Just to remind everything Mel is approaching this as a LONG TERM PROJECT. Us fans need to stop treating everything so short term if we want long term success. As long as we don't get relegated this is all so we can be a better team in the long run. We're following in the footsteps of teams like Norwich where a vision was laid down and over 2-3 years they came to fruition. We need to trust the process as we can't keep hitting reset every year.

In my opinion anyone expecting top 6 this year needs to lower their expectations, anything higher than mid table is a bonus.

I used to have the same viewpoint, but you don't sign Wayne fookin Rooney if you've not going all out for top 6.

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I used to have the same viewpoint, but you don't sign Wayne fookin Rooney if you've not going all out for top 6.

Although it does cover up the fact that we had a poor transfer window...

7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Well I’ve been quiet and just listened to everything with interest tonight but hearing Cocu post match, for a positive person I have to say I’m somewhat deflated.

Said before Scunthorpe and the team being announced, if you respect the cup you get nights like Man Utd and Southampton which can lead to chances against Chelsea or Brighton; they were all good trips.

If Cocu had so little respect for the cup why not play Martin or Anya, they need fitness. My worry is that experience doesn’t do much to help younger players, certainly not confidence wise! Maybe an over reaction but I’m disappointed with the thinking as much as the result. We gained nothing tonight in my honest opinion.

Fresh legs for a more important league game on Saturday perhaps ?

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Top 6 has to be the minimum. 

That's why I said top half as 'bare' minimum,  start of the season I would have said top 6 minimum but with a lack of quality wingers + what I have seen from our midfield so far top 6 looks very unrealistic at the moment, I wouldn't sack Cocu for finishing around 10th any lower than 12th and depending on how we played and the manner of performances I would be tempted.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Fresh legs for a more important league game on Saturday perhaps ?

Hope so Jimbo, that’s the only positive I can reach but then why not have the experience of Martin and Anya? Losing 3-0 to Forest won’t scar seasoned pro’s but you, nobody will convince me all those younger players enjoyed that performance and experience, nor did it do them any good.

That’s my real beef if fresh legs was the over rider, we deserved getting knocked out and nothing with so many changes and an effective B team that was youthful, but my bigger concern is I don’t really think the kids gained much tonight and the fans were somewhat neglected along with the local rivalry.

Sorry to be negative, just somewhat deflated by tonight, I’ll get my pom poms back out tomorrow.

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

You sign Rooney because investors are attracted by high profile names (not that his recent publicity is that positive).

You try to bring in investment because you cannot buy in the Mounts, Tomoris and Wilsons without the funding (or Chelsea contacts).

The other route is to develop the academy but that takes longer and it means giving the kids experience, including big games.

Of course, like everyone else, I want us to beat Forest but I'm not sure the first team would have done that.

Everyone needs to get real. We're not that good. We lost our three best players from last year and we cannot afford to replace them. Cocu has to be allowed to develop the youngsters.

I'm amazed at the responses on here.

Some of you lot would rather sack Cocu and bring in Warnock!!! Fer chrissekes, that'd be great, eh? << Sarcasm.

Promotion followed immediately by relegation while playing hoof ball. No thanks. 

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

Hope so Jimbo, that’s the only positive I can reach but then why not have the experience of Martin and Anya? Losing 3-0 to Forest won’t scar seasoned pro’s but you nobody will convince me all those younger players enjoyed that performance and experience, nor did it do them any good.

Anya is injured. But I don't see the reason for such big changes, we could have done with putting in a good game.

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

His concept/outlook is a lot bigger than petty rivalry.

If he gets us into the Premier league either this year or next  you (and many others) will miraculously forget this comment and going mental with adulation like the rest of us.

I'm happy for Forest to sing about a win in a crappy cup over our second string if we're playing at Anfield as they trot off to Preston.

We either trust our manager (or are prepared to give him a fighting chance) or we don't.

This whining has started way earlier than even i thought possible - and I'm old and I've heard a lot of whining over the years.

You're avatar would suggest you were around in 95 - were you calling for calm heads when we lost 5 -1 at Tranmere and were staring down the gun of relegation before we went on an insane run?

Probably.

But my guess is you remember it differently and that was somehow *different*.

We were never really staring down the gun of relegation in the November of 95. We were also not playing square pegs in round holes.  We also had a manager at the time with 20 years experience and success managing at this level .  Cocu has had success at his home town club and was a very good player , however, we are not the Ajax academy and do not have players like Barcelona.  We also cannot play interchangeable football like the Dutch team of the 90's with Bergkamp and the De Boers.

I have sympathy that he hasn't had a lot of time thanks to Lampards protracted pissing about . However he has taken the job and football at this level is a different world to what he's used too.  I think he needs to realise this sooner rather than later or we may well be staring down that gun this time.

7 minutes ago, Justa said:

I think this is a good point at PSV and Ajax survive and punch above their weight developing young players - often the best that Holland has to offer - we just don’t have the same quality coming through 

That's a strange comment, you are aware our under 18's won their league, and the national final last season?

So actually, they were the best that England had to offer and we do have a lot of quality coming through in that age group, which is the one that the players we have been blooding in these games came from.

Archived