January 2020 transfer window

23 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Jordan Rhodes anybody in Jan? Loan till end of season. Frozen out at Weds. 

Striker is the absolute last place we need to bring anyone in for. Wingers or midfielders should be the priority (or maybe a keeper).

40 minutes ago, Sean said:

Apparently Spurs want to end Jack Clarke's loan back at Leeds and send him elsewhere in January. Would love him to come here for the rest of the season!

Its already ended - Clarke has been sent back to Spurs. Not a bad shout really - could be a good option if we went for him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defo an improvement on Roos is required. With the sarcastic cheers yesterday every time he did some marginal right (like take a simple catch) it can’t be doing his confidence any good either but sadly he isn’t a championship top 6 keeper.  Yesterday I had a heart attack every time him and Clarke did their Ronaldo skills in and around the 25 yard box.

Marco Van Grinkel would be nice ?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

This. Transition is such a hackneyed phrase someone needs to tell the club that for transition to be valid we need to get rid of poor players and replace them with good ones an exercise we have palpably failed on for the past number of seasons.

You mean something like the 17 players who left us in the summer?

53 minutes ago, Sean said:

Apparently Spurs want to end Jack Clarke's loan back at Leeds and send him elsewhere in January. Would love him to come here for the rest of the season!

No thanks - 1 trick pony who Leeds couldn’t wait to get rid of and we’re delighted to get any money for him when they sold him. 

49 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You mean something like the 17 players who left us in the summer?

That's only half of the exercise as I quite clearly stated, there's no point getting rid of rubbish players if you are then only going to replace them with similar quality - objective is to get rid of poor players and replace with staff of an acceptable quality 

32 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Already been sold to Fulham.

I didn’t realise! He’d have been great for us now that Keogh is injured, he was really good at sheff Wednesday last season. That’s a bit odd how he’s still technically a Chelsea player until January but training with Fulham, you’d have thought they would have made it a loan in the summer then permanent in January rather than waiting till January for him to play.

5 hours ago, GenBr said:

Striker is the absolute last place we need to bring anyone in for. Wingers or midfielders should be the priority (or maybe a keeper).

Its already ended - Clarke has been sent back to Spurs. Not a bad shout really - could be a good option if we went for him.

Yeh, I suppose we are scoring loads of goals at the moment and creating chances so a fox in the box who can finish is pointless. 

Didn't Clarke go to spurs from Leeds and is not wanted by Poch so is looking to go somewhere else? Rather than the other way round. But yes wouldn't say no in Jan. 

32 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Yeh, I suppose we are scoring loads of goals at the moment and creating chances so a fox in the box who can finish is pointless. 

Didn't Clarke go to spurs from Leeds and is not wanted by Poch so is looking to go somewhere else? Rather than the other way round. But yes wouldn't say no in Jan. 

We have 3 of the best strikers in the league already. Wingers are our priority since we basically only have one and that is Josefzoon. Midfield is also lacking in creativity. If defence needs anyone its only as a permanent replacement for Clarke or backup for injuries. Goalkeeper may also need an upgrade. Hence striker is the last position we need to strengthen.

Leeds sold Clarke to Spurs and then Spurs loaned him back to Leeds. Poch wanted him to continue his development under Bielsa who then for some unknown reason refused to play him, so Spurs exercised a clause in the loan contract to recall him. They do have a lot of loan players in their 18, so maybe they couldn't fit another one and stay within the rules. Either way I would assume he is going back out on loan in January.

Well no harm in lower league talent but also no harm at free agents or aboard for players.

But I have seen one or two league one quite looks like off.

Theres a young lad at top end trying think clubs name but I think top at the moment looks of things he can play in midield or at the back he looks quite decent could be ours for about 950k to 1.6m.

34 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well no harm in lower league talent but also no harm at free agents or aboard for players.

But I have seen one or two league one quite looks like off.

Theres a young lad at top end trying think clubs name but I think top at the moment looks of things he can play in midield or at the back he looks quite decent could be ours for about 950k to 1.6m.

You'll have to be a bit more specific.

If we're playing something approaching a 4-2-3-1, then our options in January are:

GK: Roos, Hamer

RB: Bogle, Wisdom

LB: Lowe, Malone (NB- I accept Lowe is probably second choice right back, but i'm trying to come up with 2 per position, and LB is his natural)

CB: Davies, Clarke, Evans, Buchanan

CM: Bielik, Shinnie, Huddlestone, Knight?

LAM: Lawrence, Josefzoon

RAM: Paterson, Waghorn

CAM: Rooney, Holmes

ST: Martin, Marriott

We're definitely lightest at CB, and I would not be surprised for us to move for someone there, especially as Keogh's likely never playing again, Davies is getting on, and Clarke's a loan - though I wouldn't mind us trying Davies alongside Evans a few times.

At RAM, if Paterson keeps playing like he has been, I would expect us to try and make his move permanent. It's not Waggers natural position but when it's him and Bogle, it works ok.

I can understand the desire for a brilliant keeper to come in... but we have to remember that we're in the Championship, so we simply don't have the pulling power to bring in a really top class keeper. One very cheeky option, if Stoke are struggling still, could be Butland, but I think he'd be wanted in the Prem. Other than that, though, which keepers around the Championship are streets ahead of Roos? Not many, I don't think.

next, let's think about loans. I've already said that I think if Paterson plays like he has been, we'll look to buy. I don't think we'll buy Hamer (he's clearly a stop gap), and unless something remarkable happens, I can't see Dowell playing his way back into the team. Clarke is going to be playing for the time being at least and I think we look more solid at the back with him and Davies together, but it's early days, and I also don't think he'll be back next season.

One other thing I'd be thinking about is what we do with those players whose contracts are expiring at the end of the season:

Huddlestone

Davies

Forsyth

Martin

Anya

Bennett

In order of preference, I'd like to get ride of Bennett (possibly on loan to Burton until end of the season), Anya (anyone want him, please?), Huddlestone (maybe Italy? - certainly don't think he should get another year).

The other 3 are trickier, but I think Forsyth is going to be gone at the end of the season, though I can see him providing cover in the second half of the season

Davies, probably earns himself a 1 year extension to play alongside whichever new CB we bring in.

Martin is the tricky one. This is where you have to think about current contract, current value to the club... and bring Waghorn and Marriott to the conversation - they are both contracted until the end of next season, so we should be thinking, this season, about how we want the team to look then - is there space for all 3, and if not, do we consider selling one in January to strengthen elsewhere- and if so, who?

I don't know if I *like* this idea... but if we are currently using Waghorn as a winger, and our first choice strkers are Martin and Marriott, do we consider selling Waghorn and using the proceeds to get an actual right winger?

LOTS for Cocu to be thinking about.

2 hours ago, erathirea said:

If we're playing something approaching a 4-2-3-1, then our options in January are:

GK: Roos, Hamer

RB: Bogle, Wisdom

LB: Lowe, Malone (NB- I accept Lowe is probably second choice right back, but i'm trying to come up with 2 per position, and LB is his natural)

CB: Davies, Clarke, Evans, Buchanan

CM: Bielik, Shinnie, Huddlestone, Knight?

LAM: Lawrence, Josefzoon

RAM: Paterson, Waghorn

CAM: Rooney, Holmes

ST: Martin, Marriott

We're definitely lightest at CB, and I would not be surprised for us to move for someone there, especially as Keogh's likely never playing again, Davies is getting on, and Clarke's a loan - though I wouldn't mind us trying Davies alongside Evans a few times.

At RAM, if Paterson keeps playing like he has been, I would expect us to try and make his move permanent. It's not Waggers natural position but when it's him and Bogle, it works ok.

I can understand the desire for a brilliant keeper to come in... but we have to remember that we're in the Championship, so we simply don't have the pulling power to bring in a really top class keeper. One very cheeky option, if Stoke are struggling still, could be Butland, but I think he'd be wanted in the Prem. Other than that, though, which keepers around the Championship are streets ahead of Roos? Not many, I don't think.

next, let's think about loans. I've already said that I think if Paterson plays like he has been, we'll look to buy. I don't think we'll buy Hamer (he's clearly a stop gap), and unless something remarkable happens, I can't see Dowell playing his way back into the team. Clarke is going to be playing for the time being at least and I think we look more solid at the back with him and Davies together, but it's early days, and I also don't think he'll be back next season.

One other thing I'd be thinking about is what we do with those players whose contracts are expiring at the end of the season:

Huddlestone

Davies

Forsyth

Martin

Anya

Bennett

In order of preference, I'd like to get ride of Bennett (possibly on loan to Burton until end of the season), Anya (anyone want him, please?), Huddlestone (maybe Italy? - certainly don't think he should get another year).

The other 3 are trickier, but I think Forsyth is going to be gone at the end of the season, though I can see him providing cover in the second half of the season

Davies, probably earns himself a 1 year extension to play alongside whichever new CB we bring in.

Martin is the tricky one. This is where you have to think about current contract, current value to the club... and bring Waghorn and Marriott to the conversation - they are both contracted until the end of next season, so we should be thinking, this season, about how we want the team to look then - is there space for all 3, and if not, do we consider selling one in January to strengthen elsewhere- and if so, who?

I don't know if I *like* this idea... but if we are currently using Waghorn as a winger, and our first choice strkers are Martin and Marriott, do we consider selling Waghorn and using the proceeds to get an actual right winger?

LOTS for Cocu to be thinking about.

In reference to the contracts expiring 

huddlestone - the manager clearly likes him but not for me

Davies - we need a leader and a good defender so it just depends on fitness and what else we could get

forsyth - he has been great but maybe one injury to many so it would depend on what we do Malone and Lowe

martin - well if he scores 13-14 goals and the team play well around him keep him on with reduced terms

anya - not an issue as with us it has been a disaster which is not overly his fault - time to move on 

Bennett - keep him on and play him as he is a game changer - the best attacking wide player we have from the bench 

One player whos caight my eye over the past year - although he would be very difficult to bring in is Teun Koopmeiners from AZ Alkmaar, he seems to be a top player, can play defensive midfielder, centre back, and in central midfield and has scored 5 goals in 9 games so far this season..

If we can offload Huddlestone then he could definately be a great player to bring in, and with Cocu favouring two defensive midfielders he would be perfect for the team. 

The issue is It'd most likely be another price tag like Bieliks...

7 hours ago, Squid said:

One player whos caight my eye over the past year - although he would be very difficult to bring in is Teun Koopmeiners from AZ Alkmaar, he seems to be a top player, can play defensive midfielder, centre back, and in central midfield and has scored 5 goals in 9 games so far this season..

If we can offload Huddlestone then he could definately be a great player to bring in, and with Cocu favouring two defensive midfielders he would be perfect for the team. 

The issue is It'd most likely be another price tag like Bieliks...

if Bielik doesn't pull his finger out then sell him to fund Ten Cupminers? Will he feel at home with our @Owd miner?

?

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2019 at 10:16, dcfcfan1 said:

No one

No more panic signings, we will probably be at least 10 pts from top 6 but easily clear from relegation

Identify targets and work in background for summer deals

Someone put this poster in touch with Mel Morris please

Archived