Underrated and Overrated Players

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Forsyth is definitely underrated and under appreciated. He frustrates but he's better than lots of left backs outside the PL. 

He's very very strong. If he goes up for a header then he wins it. He's rapid but doesn't look it because it's the big strides that do it. He has a wicked cross that he hits low and hard to the 6 yard area. 

His passing just goes between fine and total donkey. Forgivable though 

I agree with every word of this, with one qualification.

He simply MUST be confident. If his confidence is shot, as it was in 2017/18, he's crap. If he's on it, as he was in 2013/14, when he was fit in 2018/19 and flashes in between, he's up there with the best full backs in the league. His height and strength are really useful too, as you point out.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Underrated

Anya, Roos, Evans, Malone, the now departed Bradders Johnson. Chris Martin.

overrated

Mount, Wilson, Tomori, Lampard, jody Morris, Bryson, Ince,

Yes. It still baffles me how people can claim he did a great job when we literally have no ducking idea what his impact was. What pisses me off more than anything is that he gets used in the agenda against Darren Wassall, with people claiming that the academy only did so well last season because of Morris' mere presence.

Past or present:

Andy Oakes- underrated--seems forgotten about but I was a massive fan, Arguably the best stand in we've had in modern times (back up to the best keeper we've had in modern times) 

Taribo west-overrated- he was quality at times in his career, but I don't remember it here. I remember him going awol though 

Lee Morris--underrated- not a massive natural talent but worked hard and got everywhere. An element of Nugent in there. 

Eddie Lewis- overrated- everyone thought he was poo, I'd argue he was much worse than poo 

Underrated:

Warnock (Stephen, not Colin!)

Rowett (But he’s still a tool)

Vydra

Waghorn

Huddlestone

Davies (lot of criticism for his ball play which I think is unfair, he’s competent at that and by far the best defender to pull on a Derby shirt this century Imo)

Johnson

Weimann

Overrated:

Forsyth (Weak link in 13/14, passing ability isn’t acceptable at this level)

Russell post 2014/15 

Hendrick 

Bryson (Derby legend but sorry, he really was only a one season wonder)

Buxton 

Basically most the 13/14 squad wasn’t actually individually that good, they just were amazing as a team and held together by an absolute genius in will Hughes, who is the best player to play for Derby by a mile in my lifetime.

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sorry, but he's played in patches for Watford. Not Liverpool or England, Watford.

What do you mean then by overrated ?

He was a regular in the Watford team last year that finished in a good position in the PL and also reached the FA cup final.

No other player that we have owned in the past 10 years played in a team that finished as high as Watford.

He is the arguably the best youth academy player we have ever produced EVER.

He is still only 24.

No he doesn’t play for Liverpool who won the CL, or England who reached the WC semi final of which both have world class players, so I suppose it’s what you mean by overrated, is he the world best midfielder, no, would he still be Derby’s best player if he was here, for me yes.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The title says it all. Can include players and managers past and present.

Underrated:

Martyn Waghorn - We’ve got one of the best strikers in the league and people don’t even appreciate it.

Ikechi Anya - Purely because he isn’t as poo as people make out. 

Harry Wilson.

Gary Rowett.

Jacob Butterfield.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Fikayo Tomori - Great but overhyped. 

Will Hughes (sorry). 

Surely a wind up? 

This:

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Martyn Waghorn - We’ve got one of the best strikers in the league and people don’t even appreciate it.

..and this:

1 hour ago, admira said:

Marriott (I'd start him every game),

....now how to play them together

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

No he doesn’t play for Liverpool who won the CL, or England who reached the WC semi final of which both have world class players, so I suppose it’s what you mean by overrated, is he the world best midfielder, no, would he still be Derby’s best player if he was here, for me yes.  

But that was a lot of fans' perceptions of where he would end up. He may still do, but I doubt it. Hence why I think he's overrated. I also agree that he would be our best player if he came back, but that doesn't mean our fans didn't have an inflated opinion of his ability. Overrated doesn't mean crap!

9 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Hahaha,you’re getting better at this stirring malaky,i’ll give you that.

I rest my case.

You're right, that goal had everything. The genius to think of trying it, the balls to actually try it and the unbelievable technique to pull it off. I really should have put Darren Bent in the underrated category,

Present players

Marriott - overrated

Davies - underrated

Past players

Bryson, Mount, Barker - overrated

Hendrick, Vydra, Coutts, Theo Robinson - underrated

Managers

Lampard - overrated

Wassall and Billy Davies - underrated

Forum members

OK, let’s not go there. ?

Underrated.

Lawrence - Hes an attacker he should be assisting and scoring not rated on his defensive play

Wilson - Game changer which many didn't like for his "work rate", see above.

Ince - See above both lines.

Evans - was class at the back v Bristol last season, many have wrote him off but i think he can turn out good

Overrated.

Russell - effort good, quality lacking

Weimann - effort good but another Mr no end result

Nugent - Useless in his last season and a half 

Carson - average and lives off of past accolades 

Lowe - thought he was average when he played for us last season, hes young yes but i dont think he is anywhere near the level of Bogle or the first team.

People really seem to be missing the point of my original post. Just because I think Butters if underrated and Hughes is overrated does not mean that I think the former is better than the latter. Hughes was and is a fantastic player and I'd take him back in a heartbeat, but, as stated, I think fans thought he was better than he was.

Anya is average, which means he's underrated because many think he's awful. Tomori is very good, which means he's overrated because many think he's the Messiah. Waghorn is very good, which means he's underrated because some think him merely good. Lawrence, for me, is average, which means he's overrated because many think he's very good (although he has got his fair share of detractors).

Get it?

20 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Past or present:

Andy Oakes- underrated--seems forgotten about but I was a massive fan, Arguably the best stand in we've had in modern times (back up to the best keeper we've had in modern times) 

Taribo west-overrated- he was quality at times in his career, but I don't remember it here. I remember him going awol though 

Lee Morris--underrated- not a massive natural talent but worked hard and got everywhere. An element of Nugent in there. 

Eddie Lewis- overrated- everyone thought he was poo, I'd argue he was much worse than poo 

Where to start with this one; Lee Morris, absolute crock, I only remember him starting once or twice (exagerating for effect but not far off that!) and we paid what, 2m-3m for him??

Oakes, barely played, 43 games in 6 years? so i have no idea.

Eddie Lewis I actually thought was almost ok. like not good, but tried to make things happen

Taribo was just playing for a joke I think, he could just swan off at the end of the season regardless of his performances (he was amazing tho!)

Now, underrated - how about Paul McGrath? Absolutely broken as a man, couldn't train, still (alledgedly) an alcoholic at the time, just turned up every Saturday 5 to 3, and just knew where the ball would be before the opposition had even thought about kicking it. 

Archived