Underrated and Overrated Players

DarkFruitsRam7

The title says it all. Can include players and managers past and present.

Underrated:

Martyn Waghorn - We’ve got one of the best strikers in the league and people don’t even appreciate it.

Ikechi Anya - Purely because he isn’t as poo as people make out. 

Harry Wilson.

Gary Rowett.

Jacob Butterfield.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Fikayo Tomori - Great but overhyped. 

Will Hughes (sorry). 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curtis Davies is underrated to me , brings a calmness and leadership to the defence , found Harry Wilson very overrated , but time will tell on him , depends what happens this season , cant see him making it at Liverpool , will have to make a big decision if they part company

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Underrated:

Martyn Waghorn - We’ve got one of the best strikers in the league and people don’t even appreciate it.

Harry Wilson.

Gary Rowett.

Jacob Butterfield.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Will Hughes (sorry). 

You are Gary Rowett and I claim my £5

Underrated in my opinion both LB's; Scott Malone and Fozzy for me. Scott actually sticks in a lot of cracking forward balls, and Fozzy in his prime rarely got beat and good whip in a quality cross.

Overrated: Chris Martin - he infuriates me with his falling over, likewise Wilson, yes both were top scorers for us but I feel both can go missing. Having said that both on their day can produce that absolute moment of magic.

Under rated: 

roos, evans, bennett, marriott, knight

over-rated:

Lawrence, Wisdom, Davies, huddlestone, rowett, 

23 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Underrated:

Gary Rowett.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Will Hughes (sorry). 

I really feel like you're not a fan of skillful, creative players... 

Rowett wasn't 'bad' he was just an anti-football manager - The results were fine but the games were dire - He was a Pulis-esque admirer of the 1-0 win - And he definitely made us better against the lower-end opposition (which we always usually do poorly against) - However he had no answer when we played better football teams

We have a 'grand tradition' at Derby of trying to play exciting, attacking football - We want to see pass and move - Not hoof and hope - I don't think Rowett was ever going to deliver that - And the players you mention in 'overrated' are all players who primarily excite us because they want to play pass and move too

Underrated: Huddlestone (our only game changer), Marriott (I'd start him every game), Keogh (obviously) , Luke Thomas (gutted he's gone), Craig Ramage (as a player, not a pundit).

Overrated: Wisdom, Bennett, Nugent, Bradley Johnson

Unrated: Ambrose!

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Underrated:

Harry Wilson.

Gary Rowett.

Jacob Butterfield.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Will Hughes (sorry). 

Butterfield and anya are obvious because they are treated like they aren't even professional football players half the time by some fans... I don't think Butterfield is good enough for this team though, he always thrives in weaker teams. 

Wilson for me is the most overrated player not under... Some of his goal tally came from penos and he offers very little from open play for me. 

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Under rated: 

roos, evans, bennett, marriott, knight

over-rated:

Lawrence, Wisdom, Davies, huddlestone, rowett,

Not sure Wisdom and Davies are fair, never done alot wrong in my opinion. 

Evans- seems to be a better cb

Huddlestone is literally that good but a limited player in the fact he has to be in the right team against the right opposition to really shine

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I really feel like you're not a fan of skillful, creative players... 

Rowett wasn't 'bad' he was just an anti-football manager - The results were fine but the games were dire - He was a Pulis-esque admirer of the 1-0 win - And he definitely made us better against the lower-end opposition (which we always usually do poorly against) - However he had no answer when we played better football teams

We have a 'grand tradition' at Derby of trying to play exciting, attacking football - We want to see pass and move - Not hoof and hope - I don't think Rowett was ever going to deliver that - And the players you mention in 'overrated' are all players who primarily excite us because they want to play pass and move too

Tom Lawrence tries to be skilful and creative but I just think he's a very average player, which the underlying stats back up.

George Thorne was one of the best players I've ever seen in a Derby shirt, but his body just isn't up to it anymore. At least Chris Martin is physically the same, or fitter, than he ever was, whereas Thorne is twice as slow as he used to be. He could still be a decent player if he got his confidence back but I sincerely doubt that now.

I loved watching Tomori play but I think the last ditch tackles, outstanding pace and quick feet made us turn a blind eye to his lack of aerial ability and his inability to defend crosses. He'd be a great project to work on but I don't think it's a terrible thing that he's not coming back, although I'd be very excited if he did come back. If you could combine Tomori's pace and skill on the ball with Davies' aerial ability and knack for defending crosses, you'd have a top, top player. I know every player has flaws in his game, but I think we hyped every single one of our defenders up last season (with the exception of Malone) without our defensive unit being that good.

Hughes was great but I think Derby fans overhyped him. Just like people saying Marriott and Carson should get England call ups, we're pretty deluded as fans (as are fans of all clubs) when it comes to our own players. Blackburn fans were the same when they were suggesting that Southgate was coming to watch Bradley Dack and not Mason Mount.

3 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Wilson for me is the most overrated player not under... Some of his goal tally came from penos and he offers very little from open play for me. 

18 goals in all competitions for us, just 3 of which were penalties, take those away and he was still our top goalscorer.

40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Underrated:

Harry Wilson.

Gary Rowett.

Jacob Butterfield.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Will Hughes (sorry). 

Agree with much of this. Tomori had an excellent season and I'd love him back but his performances this summer have illustrated a tendancy to make an error (although his pace often resolved it last season). It's something that should come with age, but he certainly wasn't perfect...still, please come back.

Hughes was also incredible for us, but his career certainly hasn't met the heights we all expected, and looks unlikely that it will.

I never rated Hendrick and would put Wilson in the overrated pile for reasons others have highlighted on the forum.

Then I ruin everything I say above and say I thought Mo Camara was harshly judged by our fans...

Forsyth is definitely underrated and under appreciated. He frustrates but he's better than lots of left backs outside the PL. 

He's very very strong. If he goes up for a header then he wins it. He's rapid but doesn't look it because it's the big strides that do it. He has a wicked cross that he hits low and hard to the 6 yard area. 

His passing just goes between fine and total donkey. Forgivable though 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Underrated:

Harry Wilson.

Gary Rowett.

Jacob Butterfield.

Overrated:

Tom Lawrence.

Post-2014 George Thorne.

Will Hughes (sorry). 

Brilliant provocative thread,I’m going to see how long I can go before I bite.

Archived