Underrated and Overrated Players

DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

People really seem to be missing the point of my original post. Just because I think Butters if underrated and Hughes is overrated does not mean that I think the former is better than the latter. Hughes was and is a fantastic player and I'd take him back in a heartbeat, but, as stated, I think fans thought he was better than he was.

Anya is average, which means he's underrated because many think he's awful. Tomori is very good, which means he's overrated because many think he's the Messiah. Waghorn is very good, which means he's underrated because some think him merely good. Lawrence, for me, is average, which means he's overrated because many think he's very good (although he has got his fair share of detractors).

Get it?

Booooooo

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I agree with every word of this, with one qualification.

He simply MUST be confident. If his confidence is shot, as it was in 2017/18, he's crap. If he's on it, as he was in 2013/14, when he was fit in 2018/19 and flashes in between, he's up there with the best full backs in the league. His height and strength are really useful too, as you point out.

Prior to his first big injury he was immense we would very rarely lose when he was in the side.

Under-rated: Ross McLaren, Jacob Laursen, Daryl Powell, David Langan, Colin Todd (he was better than McFarland - time to all admit it), John McGovern, Martin Taylor, Tommy Johnson, Geraint Williams

Over-rated: Mart Poom (if he was called Dave Smith nobody would remember him), Kinladze (for us), John O'Hare, Peter Shilton (contraversial, but he was way past best with us - still good, still worth his shirt just past his best when he was the number one in the world), Seth Johnson, Horacio Carbonari

Overrated :Forsyth- like most players he has improves whilst he is injured,  Holmes- decent player but end product is lacking and he is indecisive at times.

Underrated - Anya- not as poo as people make out  Jozefoon- same as Anya Hughes- good player not as good as some people make out though and not as good as Mount.

Underrated- Jeff Hendrick- never really got the recognition for Derby playing alongside Hughes who got all the limelight because a) he was younger and b) was technically a better player. In my opinion for what they both offered I always thought hendrick out performed Hughes more consistently. Hughes was a good player but I wanted him to make those key passes with his skill far more often, he didn’t even always get into the right areas at times. Hendrick on the other hand really drove the ball forward, maybe not as technically skillful but he contributed to a lot of goals and had a fantastic engine to be involved with play far more often

On 25/07/2019 at 13:32, BaaLocks said:

Under-rated: Ross McLaren, Jacob Laursen, Daryl Powell, David Langan, Colin Todd (he was better than McFarland - time to all admit it), John McGovern, Martin Taylor, Tommy Johnson, Geraint Williams

Over-rated: Mart Poom (if he was called Dave Smith nobody would remember him), Kinladze (for us), John O'Hare, Peter Shilton (contraversial, but he was way past best with us - still good, still worth his shirt just past his best when he was the number one in the world), Seth Johnson, Horacio Carbonari

Phew...Colin Todd was better than McFarland...now that's controversial !  

Overrated - leighton james, fielding, cyrus christie , kinkladze , bent, anya, ashley cole 

Underated - geraint williams, john ohare, savage ( after clough brought him back in),  john mcgovern, gary micklewhite, carson (now), idiakz, 

35 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Overrated - leighton james, fielding, cyrus christie , kinkladze , bent, anya, ashley cole 

Underated - geraint williams, john ohare, savage ( after clough brought him back in),  john mcgovern, gary micklewhite, carson (now), idiakz, 

How on earth can you overrate anya... The fans opinion of him couldn't get any lower...

Cole I'm not sure I get... He is a legendary lb debatably one of the best of all time and he came at an age after a year in America where there was a question mark about his ability to continue playing at that level. Not sure anyone ever said he was amazing for us, other than as an experienced influence in the dressing room

3 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

How on earth can you overrate anya... The fans opinion of him couldn't get any lower...

Cole I'm not sure I get... He is a legendary lb debatably one of the best of all time and he came at an age after a year in America where there was a question mark about his ability to continue playing at that level. Not sure anyone ever said he was amazing for us, other than as an experienced influence in the dressing room

Anya - have a read of last nights match. Several posters rated him. Didnt we buy him for £3m or so ? Someone certainly overated him !!

Cole - have you seen the results we had with him in the team last season ? Did we even get a point with him in the team ? You yourself have made the exact point about why he was overrated when he joined us. And yet the expectation was of the good old days. 

On 25/07/2019 at 08:21, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Martyn Waghorn - We’ve got one of the best strikers in the league and people don’t even appreciate it.

Agreed. My favourite player. There's no one we could buy or loan that will be more exciting than a full season of The Snip up front.

Archived