Jump to content

The Olympiacos B Antiques Roadshow Thread.


Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, froggg said:

I like this Brian Fantana guy, knows his onions...

You have to admit Derby appear to be doing everything right and spending money on quality over quantity.

Frank was a good fit originally and it elevated their standing commercially and allowed them to get some outstanding loans.

They’ve then convinced Cocu to manage them.

Highlighted a weak area and so signed a quality player in Bielik.

Looked to replace Mount and signed Dowell to fit into their system.

Get Rooney who will again probably pay for itself in terms of commercial revenue through the fact they will be on tv all the time now, sell plenty of shirts, and most likely attract more fans from across the world and increase their appeal.

All whilst we continue with the Mendes scattergun approach with a squad of about 40 players under an unproven manager who barely any of us had heard of...

Link to post
Share on other sites

So you've gone from Frank Lampard Derby County to Wayne Rooney Derby County 😆

Jokes aside, this is an amazing piece of work. I'd be jizzing my pants if this were us signing him. He's not the Rooney of 5-7 years ago, but imagine he'll still be head and shoulders better than any other player in the championship.

80k per week mind you, Mad Mel must have scraped under the sofa for quite a while to afford those wages.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

So you've gone from Frank Lampard Derby County to Wayne Rooney Derby County 😆

Jokes aside, this is an amazing piece of work. I'd be jizzing my pants if this were us signing him. He's not the Rooney of 5-7 years ago, but imagine he'll still be head and shoulders better than any other player in the championship.

80k per week mind you, Mad Mel must have scraped under the sofa for quite a while to afford those wages.. 

He's only going to be with us for half the season though. No transfer fee either, so thats only a couple of million that will be spent on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

So you've gone from Frank Lampard Derby County to Wayne Rooney Derby County 😆

Jokes aside, this is an amazing piece of work. I'd be jizzing my pants if this were us signing him. He's not the Rooney of 5-7 years ago, but imagine he'll still be head and shoulders better than any other player in the championship.

80k per week mind you, Mad Mel must have scraped under the sofa for quite a while to afford those wages.. 

Sounds like he's seeing the season out with DC and won't be with us until January. 80k a week is mental if that's true, but if there's no transfer fee it's not quite so bad. 6 million total if he's here for 1 and a half years ... 10 million if it's 2 and a half. You'd probably have to pay that in transfer fees at least for a top attacking midfielder at this level (and that obviously doesn't include wages). Plus there were some suggestions in reports that sponsors are helping fund it somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Sounds like he's seeing the season out with DC and won't be with us until January. 80k a week is mental if that's true, but if there's no transfer fee it's not quite so bad. 6 million total if he's here for 1 and a half years ... 10 million if it's 2 and a half. You'd probably have to pay that in transfer fees at least for a top attacking midfielder at this level (and that obviously doesn't include wages). Plus there were some suggestions in reports that sponsors are helping fund it somehow.

Probably the fact that the likes of 32red will pay twice as much if they know the likes of Rooney are wearing there logo. So it kind of pays for itself in that respect, or certainly offsets the cost. 

Bielik = good investment because we’ll almost certainly sell him on one day for more than we’ve bought him (even if he never gets any better, inflation these days means we could sell him for £15m in January). 

Rooney = good investment because of how much he’d bring in with sponsors and tv companies chomping at the bit to work with Derby county. 

You can throw as much money as you want at these players, as long as you’ve got it in the first place, and be fairly safe in the knowledge you’ll get it back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Red_Dawn said:

So you've gone from Frank Lampard Derby County to Wayne Rooney Derby County 😆

Jokes aside, this is an amazing piece of work. I'd be jizzing my pants if this were us signing him. He's not the Rooney of 5-7 years ago, but imagine he'll still be head and shoulders better than any other player in the championship.

80k per week mind you, Mad Mel must have scraped under the sofa for quite a while to afford those wages.. 

I don't think affordability has ever been the issue - the issue has always been FFP.

And I've heard that Mel has pulled another rabbit from his hat. Because...

Rooney is a "player/coach". What those eagle eyed FFP followers among you will be aware of is that coaching staff salaries are not FFP accountable. Only playing staff salaries are accountable against FFP. So presumably, Mel is counting at least 50% of Rooney's salary against him being a "coach" which means that this won't have too much of an impact against FFP.

Equally, the "record breaking" sponsorship deal that has been agreed has clearly ofset the financial outlay that signing Rooney brings - also factoring in that we aren't paying a transfer fee.

Honestly, this deal is just insane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

I don't think affordability has ever been the issue - the issue has always been FFP.

And I've heard that Mel has pulled another rabbit from his hat. Because...

Rooney is a "player/coach". What those eagle eyed FFP followers among you will be aware of is that coaching staff salaries are not FFP accountable. Only playing staff salaries are accountable against FFP. So presumably, Mel is counting at least 50% of Rooney's salary against him being a "coach" which means that this won't have too much of an impact against FFP.

Equally, the "record breaking" sponsorship deal that has been agreed has clearly ofset the financial outlay that signing Rooney brings - also factoring in that we aren't paying a transfer fee.

Honestly, this deal is just insane.

Coaches do count towards FFP. Where are people reading otherwise?

The only place where this 'loophole' could work is in League's 1 and 2 where SCMP is in play, and salaries are split 50/50 when they are a player coach.

Edited by td_evans
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, td_evans said:

Coaches do count towards FFP. Where are people reading otherwise?

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

"Excluded items: costs of employee benefits for employees only partly involved in Youth Development Activities (for example, a coach having part-time involvement in Youth Development Activities and otherwise working for the Championship Club);"

Mel has given reference to the fact that Rooney will be working, as a coach, with a lot of the youth development teams/the academy (Rooney even referenced this himself) - given that that will be reflected in his contract (as it is with Liam Rosenior's, as well) then that aspect of his salary is excluded from the FFP calculations. And given Mel's genius ability to circumnavigate FFP, I think its a safe bet that this will have been accounted for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

"Excluded items: costs of employee benefits for employees only partly involved in Youth Development Activities (for example, a coach having part-time involvement in Youth Development Activities and otherwise working for the Championship Club);"

Mel has given reference to the fact that Rooney will be working, as a coach, with a lot of the youth development teams/the academy (Rooney even referenced this himself) - given that that will be reflected in his contract (as it is with Liam Rosenior's, as well) then that aspect of his salary is excluded from the FFP calculations. And given Mel's genius ability to circumnavigate FFP, I think its a safe bet that this will have been accounted for.

Did you read the legislation? Excluded means it's excluded from the "Expenditure on Youth Development".

I.E it's included in the calculation for FFP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, td_evans said:

Did you read the legislation? Excluded means it's excluded from the "Expenditure on Youth Development".

I.E it's included in the calculation for FFP.

Which is precisely my point - if, as Mel and he have eluded to, his coaching focus will on the academy and the youth teams, then that part of his salary would be counted against 'Expenditure on Youth Development' so would be excluded from FFP calculations. And that seems to be the indication from the interviews yesterday.

I.e. his 'coaching' employment is as a 'youth coach', then that % of the salary doesn't count - given what was said yesterday, and Mel's previous with FFP, I don't think its too much of a stretch to believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.