Poor selection

2 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Lampard got it spot on against Leeds! The change to a diamond completely baffled the Leeds defence. Today was a different day  afraid. 

It’s called fine margins 

i would have gone worth the diamond too today but then for all we know they may have cut through us like a knife through butter 

we will never know 

what we do know is if Roos hadn’t made probably his first major blunder, on the biggest stage possible then it may have been oh so different 

fine lines 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Andicis said:

Yep, he did. Same as the first leg vs Leeds, we tried to sit back, and as soon as we started really trying to go out and win the game, and not just coast through, we looked miles better. The introduction of Waggy and Marriott gave us a huge amount of extra impetus. Starting with Huddlestone and Johnson was negative.

How many minutes had Marriott played since coming back from injury?

How long had Waghorn been out?

What if he'd started them and either one had broken down?

There was a reason both looked incredibly sharp and it was partly down to the fact the game was 60 minutes old. It's so much easier to run around like a madman when you know you've only got to do it for the last 30.

Both did look sharp and undoubtedly made a difference but I can guarantee that if Frank had started them both and either one had to come off for Mason Bennett, someone on here would be giving Frank pelters saying he should have saved them for the last 30 minutes.

He had to pick a team, you either trust him as a manager or you don't. 

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

Bennett is league one standard at best. He’s been one of  Lamps favourites since day one for some reason, decent lad but nothing special at this level come on. He should never be leading the line in a game of this magnitude 

Two Weeks to plan for the game and starting Bennett and Huddstone, what a balls up 

Agree with this 110% 

12 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

How many minutes had Marriott played since coming back from injury?

How long had Waghorn been out?

What if he'd started them and either one had broken down?

There was a reason both looked incredibly sharp and it was partly down to the fact the game was 60 minutes old. It's so much easier to run around like a madman when you know you've only got to do it for the last 30.

Both did look sharp and undoubtedly made a difference but I can guarantee that if Frank had started them both and either one had to come off for Mason Bennett, someone on here would be giving Frank pelters saying he should have saved them for the last 30 minutes.

He had to pick a team, you either trust him as a manager or you don't. 

The fact is, Mason Bennett isn't a lone striker. He's a good player, a useful asset, he'll work himself into the ground for the team, but he can't lead the line on his own. We lacked any outlet upfront, and in our most important and last game of the season, he should have risked Waghorn and Marriott. He played Hudds, how many mins has he had recently? Same as Ashley Cole? I trust him as a manager, doesn't mean I think he's perfect, and that's the point of the forum, to discuss what we would do differently. I think Frank made a mistake in his selection. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The fact is, Mason Bennett isn't a loan striker. He's a good player, a useful asset, he'll work himself into the ground for the team, but he can't lead the line on his own. We lacked any outlet upfront, and in our most important and last game of the season, he should have risked Waghorn and Marriott. He played Hudds, how many mins has he had recently? Same as Ashley Cole? I trust him as a manager, doesn't mean I think he's perfect, and that's the point of the forum, to discuss what we would do differently. I think Frank made a mistake in his selection. 

Can't argue with any of that pal.

Good comeback.

14 minutes ago, europia said:

That's true, but we are generally poor at dealing with balls coming into the box.

That Tyrone Mears would have been a good signing, but we couldn't afford him and Villa could.....

Tyrone mears?! ?

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

Bennett is league one standard at best. He’s been one of  Lamps favourites since day one for some reason, decent lad but nothing special at this level come on. He should never be leading the line in a game of this magnitude 

Two Weeks to plan for the game and starting Bennett and Huddstone, what a balls up 

Could have played Bennett out wide - we had no width whatsoever until JoFlo came on - what a buy he's been...

Hope we go with Marriott and Waghorn up top next season as they looked sharp together ...a proper handful ...would like to see us find a formation where they both play ..they will score goals as a partnership 

6 minutes ago, Saity said:

Hope we go with Marriott and Waghorn up top next season as they looked sharp together ...a proper handful ...would like to see us find a formation where they both play ..they will score goals as a partnership 

Agree with that, both of them are top strikers in this league, if we can fit them in together on a regular basis we'll have no trouble scoring goals.

6 minutes ago, Saity said:

Yes, they would work in a 4-4-2, or is that an 'outdated' concept in todays game ??

8 minutes ago, Saity said:

Think yourself lucky Nugent wasn't fit as he'd probably (ie would have) come on before Marriott!

1 minute ago, europia said:

Yes, they would work in a 4-4-2, or is that an 'outdated' concept in todays game ??

Maybe it is but they could be lethal as a two and maybe the difference between play offs and top 2 ...had a bloody nuff of play  offs now please make it top two next season lol 

43 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Where was this post after the Leeds game ?

did alright there didn’t he ? Any complaints then ???

no, none 

hindsight is ducking wonderful isn’t it 

In all fairness he got it right against Leeds but he didn’t today. I’m sorry but if you can’t see that then it’s a little worrying. 

Not sure how that team can be defended, didn’t play until changes made

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Think yourself lucky Nugent wasn't fit as he'd probably (ie would have) come on before Marriott!

Nuge wasn’t fit you’re right and will never pull on a rams shirt again ..but I love Nuge was just a shame we got him probably 2 seasons too late ...total respect to him and Bryson for going out with fans yesterday in Covent Garden top top bloke ...thanks for your efforts Nuge 

Some of you are so precious. You realise that you can both be proud of and have enjoyed the football served up by Lampard whilst also criticizing him when mistakes are made?

I can understand starting Huddlestone because we obviously wanted to use his passing to open up the large playing surface. As usual his passing was excellent, but his lack of mobility hurt us. I can understand starting Bennett. He's proved to be a handful to some of the best defences in the league recently. What I can't understand is starting Bennett up front on his own. I know that was the case against Leeds, but prior to Marriott's enforced introduction we'd created next to nothing. On that subject, Marriott.... What does the guy have to do to get a start? Not only did his goals get us through the semis, but his introduction had such a positive effect on our game. He did the exact same today, but didn't have enough time. If I was him tonight I'd be absolutely fuming, and not in a positive "I want to prove the gaffer wrong next season" way.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

I can understand starting Huddlestone because we obviously wanted to use his passing to open up the large playing surface. As usual his passing was excellent, but his lack of mobility hurt us.

Johnsons passing was better than his after Huddlestone went off. Huddlestone was a safe option and he did nothing.

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

What do you think then? Is everything glorious?!? We've just lost a playoff final and Iam voicing my opinion on the selection. If you think he got it right fair enough, just don't go with the voice of reason ****

Think I went with the 'you're deluded' thing, or at least you did. My point was that because someone has a differing opinion doesn't necessarily make them deluded. Will I need to explain it again or have you got it now? 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Johnsons passing was better than his after Huddlestone went off. Huddlestone was a safe option and he did nothing.

True. I though Johnson stepped up really well in the later stages of the game. His vision put us in some dangerous positions that we could've made more of.

I’m sorry but it’s no good pussyfooting around the issue .

Gary Rowett was lambasted last year for his defensive approach against Fulham.

Were Lampard’s tactics any more positive today ? .. a resounding NO !  

TWO defensive midfielders ..

Bennett and Lawrence PREFERRED TO Marriott and Waghorn ! 

Absolutely SUICIDAL MISTAKES !

If I were Mel Morris I would be sending Frank Lampard his taxi to Chelsea, or wherever else he may be going !

HE THREW AWAY ANY CHANCE WE HAD TODAY WITH THAT UTTERLY RIDICULOUS STARTING LINE-UP !! 

Archived