Poor selection

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I thought Bennett did all right, he worked hard and held the ball up well but the trio behind him , Lawrence, Wilson and Mount were non existent 

Bennett will always give 100% but when Marriott and Waghorn came on the Villa defence looked shakey. Unfortunately today was one game too far. Let's blood some youngsters and go again next year. 

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I thought Bennett did all right, he worked hard and held the ball up well but the trio behind him , Lawrence, Wilson and Mount were non existent 

Mason was excellent in the sense of he worked his socks off and went he’ll for leather since kick off. But he’s not a striker, never has been and never will be. You’ve got to fit and in form strikers available and you don’t play them, it’s just poor management, shock and surprise, the in form strikers come on and change the game. . . 

To little to late I’m afraid, I bet Morris is fuming

9 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Nail on head

wrong selection, to cautious and it cost us. 

He’s a million miles from the Chelsea job, stick with us Frank and do a Sheff Utd next season. 

If he goes to Chelsea now it will be a career killer

It will, he’ll be on match of the day with lineker by Christmas. 

Selection was interesting. I see why he did it. Bennett has the potential to be a very good striker.... but only if he has someone working off him. I was never sure of the roos and Carson swap but anyone can make an individual error. New goalie important. New centre half and new winger. Sibley, Morgan Whitaker, McDonald etc... introduced to the team. Sad to see all the loanees leave but we will attract similar standard again. UTR, the future us bright. 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Lampard got it wrong today, not starting a recognised striker was ridiculous.  I think he will have nightmares about not starting either Marriott, Waghorn or even both. They both looked fit and hungry 

You're right, they both looked fit and hungry. For half an hour against a defence that had been dragged around for an hour by Bennett. Bennett probably isn't the answer for 90 minutes, but he's excellent either in today's role or coming off the bench. Waghorn was a big risk from the start, and Marriott for whatever reason isn't starting. Is it a fitness problem, has something happened behind the scenes? We'll probably never know the reason. Frank felt that Bennett would do a job for him today. I don't think he let him down?. Still, easy to have a moan ain't it?

Possibly.

Get what he tried and maybe when emotions are less sore, there might be more agree we were too respectful of Villa and over cautious; because the second half when we went at them and moved the ball quicker, we caused their defence problems.

First half Johnson and Huddlestone together we were too ponderous. Marriott fit or not could have started behind Bennett and come off if he tired in my opinion. Leaving Mount and Johnson  in the middle. They coped ok and mount has more legs than Huddlestone.

Would have signalled more intent. Just my thoughts.

Just now, richinspain said:

You're right, they both looked fit and hungry. For half an hour against a defence that had been dragged around for an hour by Bennett. Bennett probably isn't the answer for 90 minutes, but he's excellent either in today's role or coming off the bench. Waghorn was a big risk from the start, and Marriott for whatever reason isn't starting. Is it a fitness problem, has something happened behind the scenes? We'll probably never know the reason. Frank felt that Bennett would do a job for him today. I don't think he let him down?. Still, easy to have a moan ain't it?

Maybe we could have afforded to start all three? All three have lots of workrate. Villa were comfortable at the back for large portions of the game. Bennett pressed but it was helpless because no-one behind him helped. If I had the choice  to replay the game after seeing what I saw, I’d have started all of them together 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Maybe we could have afforded to start all three? All three have lots of workrate. Villa were comfortable at the back for large portions of the game. Bennett pressed but it was helpless because no-one behind him helped. If I had the choice  to replay the game after seeing what I saw, I’d have started all of them together 

I understand your point, but would any of them completed 90 minutes? Having to replace all three of your strikers through fatigue leaves you short for injuries.

Won't matter when Marriott and Waghorn lead the line to automatic promotion next season, as we fill all the gaps with frees/cheap signings and become an unstoppable force.

Enjoy your summer folks! I'll be back around once the transfer news starts coming in ? 

30 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Lampard needs to concentrate on our proformances then anybody else's, roos not good enougj lost us the game 

Yet he’s holding out for first team football and an improvwd contract, show him the game and tell him to sign or jog on 

As others have said, Lampard got it wrong today.

To have a chance, you need to attack at some point. At 2-0 down we were still faffing around in our own half.

No urgency even after we got a goal back.

Archived