Poor selection

Sith Happens
Just now, reveldevil said:

You're a gent. Spill.

A gentleman doesn't tell.

I will say that bottom does feel as good as it looks mind.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/05/2019 at 23:18, VulcanRam said:

That we lost?

Also, and I'm sorry to bring this up here, it isn't a criticism of you Dave, but I don't buy all this "we were lucky to be there", "it was a free hit", and "it didn't matter because we'd done well just to get there". It's a losers' mentality and I genuinely believe it affected the way the crowd supported the team. We earned our place and earned the shot through guts, determination and bloody hard work, and should not feel somehow lucky or undeserving for getting there. I expected to win yesterday and was not happy about how we approached the game. All that effort against Leeds and it counted for nothing because when it really mattered, we didn't bring our A game or play the way we know we can.

But that's life, and that's football. And I agree that there have been some good times this season. I've enjoyed it and I'm a big fan of Frank and Jody. The summer will be interesting in that we don't know whether they can build on what they've done so far or, given the potential high numbers of departures, have to start from scratch again.

Ultimately though we start back where we began. In the Championship for year 11 in a row. 

Hiya Vulcan! I had no intention of "loser's mentality" with what I posted. Normally following a defeat we get a load of wristslashers telling us "we're all doomed, I tell thee" and asking for sackings left , right and centre. After the 4 - 0 drubbing at Villa Park I was furious because only Max Bird showed any semblance of turning up. The play was lackadaisical and half-hearted, team selection was poor and tactics were wrong. Not so at Wembley. Given the limits to the playing resources available Frank played it right in many ways, and although we didn't show much up front, Villa only had the one attempt on goal, and that came off a shoulder. The only criticism of the players was that they were too slow playing out from the back, and the only criticism of tactics was that we were too slow changing our shape and pushing Villa back. When we did, it worked and it was only a matter of time before we would break through, and we needed more time to finish the job. If we had drawn level, we would undoubtedly have gone on to win the match, but the lateness of the change, partly because of the second goal meant that the final whistle came too soon.

I didn't want to either start or contribute to a "knives in the back" response. I wanted to show just how well we had done given the season we have had - the lack of experience, the mostly new squad and the extensive change to how we play. But we had thrown so many points away, both before and during Mount's absence that we should have never made the play-offs. But Bristol fell away and Middlesborough pulled their own pants down and there we were at Wembley.

I am really disappointed that we lost on Monday because Villa were there for the taking. Also we have got to go to Leeds again next season! But I am also really grateful for what the team, the management, the owners, the backroom staff and the fans have built this season and wanted to convey an upbeat approach.

Next season, a visit to Wembley will mean that we are in the FA Cup Final as well as getting automatic promotion.

COME ON YOU RAMS!

Archived