Poor selection

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Lampard got it wrong today, it's alright fluttering your eyelids at the Chelsea job but you have to learn your trade. It took Brian Clough 3 years before he managed in the old first division. Starting Mason Bennett up front and not Marriott was suicide. All the best to Villa, let's start again with a fresh youthful squad next year. Up the Fuc#ing Rams! 

Agree totally. As soon  as I heard the staring line up my heart sank. How can you not play your best goal scorer from the start? Mason is a trier but he isn’t a natural finisher like Jack. Think Frank needs to get past whatever issue he has with Marriott. If it’s an issue around effort and commitment he’d be better off starting with the waste of a shirt that is Tom Lawrence. 

Anyway we weren’t good enough all game and made a bang average Villa team look comfortable, but good luck to them in the Prem. As for us, let’s just clear the dross out, get some of the kids in and go again. 

2 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Lampard got it wrong today, it's alright fluttering your eyelids at the Chelsea job but you have to learn your trade. It took Brian Clough 3 years before he managed in the old first division. Starting Mason Bennett up front and not Marriott was suicide. All the best to Villa, let's start again with a fresh youthful squad next year. Up the Fuc#ing Rams! 

What an offensive post - even if you disagree with team selection why the comment on the Chelsea job - what has Frank actually done wrong?  Pathetic, mardy supporter.

Starting Huddlestone was a great decision. He controlled our game and looked assured around nervous heads.

Think the mistake was not starting either of your recognised strikers. Especially Marriott, after his performance against Leeds. That's no criticism of Bennett or Lawrence - just think Marriott absolutely deserved his starting place. The impact he made when he came off the bench proved that, I think.

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Starting Huddlestone was a great decision. He controlled our game and looked assured around nervous heads.

Think the mistake was not starting either of your recognised strikers. Especially Marriott, after his performance against Leeds. That's no criticism of Bennett or Lawrence - just think Marriott absolutely deserved his starting place. The impact he made when he came off the bench proved that, I think.

Agree with this sentiment. You have to separate the two. 

Steel and defence in midfield: We needed that to stop Grealish and McGinn doing the same to us as they did at theirs when they tore us a new one and also cut off supply to Abraham. My happy thought about this is that if we'd had Shinnie available he'd have been ideal for that job. We're sorted when we need this next season, already!

Wrong option in attack: Agree on this. Lawrence was poor and there was always a high chance he would be. He played well against West Brom but that was the first decent game in ages. As for Bennett, maybe a little too much investment in his goal in the same game. I think Frank's plan was to use Marriott as the same sort of impact sub as he did against Leeds. Given the result he had there you can't really blame him. Had Josefzoon pulled back for Waghorn like the whole ground was screaming we'd have equalized, then gone on to win in extra time and everyone would be saying what a genius decision it all was. Fine margins eh!

2 hours ago, GadFly said:

Villa are better. Simple as that. 

Yes they are unfortunately. They got the momentum going in the last 15 games or so and it's carried them through the play offs. They wiped the floor with us in the two league fixtures, so it was a bit ominous for this game. I guess we all hoped for the best but it was too much for the team that Frank put out. We probably peaked in the 2nd leg at Elland Road. 

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Steel and defence in midfield: We needed that to stop Grealish and McGinn doing the same to us as they did at theirs when they tore us a new one and also cut off supply to Abraham. My happy thought about this is that if we'd had Shinnie available he'd have been ideal for that job. We're sorted when we need this next season, already!

Wrong option in attack: Agree on this. Lawrence was poor and there was always a high chance he would be. He played well against West Brom but that was the first decent game in ages. As for Bennett, maybe a little too much investment in his goal in the same game. I think Frank's plan was to use Marriott as the same sort of impact sub as he did against Leeds. Given the result he had there you can't really blame him. Had Josefzoon pulled back for Waghorn like the whole ground was screaming we'd have equalized, then gone on to win in extra time and everyone would be saying what a genius decision it all was. Fine margins eh!

Spot on

and I was screaming at JoFlo to pull it back.... if he’d just looked up

football  eh

2 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

See you next year! Would you both start with Bennett up top on his own? I highly doubt it. Love the Rams but you are deluded if you think the selection was right! 

Oh here we go with the you don't agree so you're deluded BS. Shrivel up mate, you're chatting ****. As I recall we started with Mason against Leeds did we not. Never mind, another armchair punter who knows more than Lamps. 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Bennett deserves his place as much as anyone. Not interested in the ‘I told you so’ arguments.

And I’m not interested in the “ Bennett deserves his place “ argument either. If you want to stick with Bennett then we aren’t going anywhere.

I’d sat there isn’t a Ram inside or outside that stadium today who thought he deserved his starting place above Marriott but I’d be wrong, just you the I would imagine.

suicidal not to start him, too interested in stopping them play rather than giving them something to think about. Mings cruised through that game until the changes. 

Everyone entitled to their opinion but I’m afraid that for me yours is way off the mark

We matched them in the first half. We missed a free header and minutes later they scored arguably from an attack that simply shouldn’t have been. Poor use of the advantage law? 

They had better players now so we were always going to be riding our luck at times but ultimately a GK error decided it. A shame because he’d been solid for the most part but can’t shy away from it. 

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Oh here we go with the you don't agree so you're deluded BS. Shrivel up mate, you're chatting ****.

What do you think then? Is everything glorious?!? We've just lost a playoff final and Iam voicing my opinion on the selection. If you think he got it right fair enough, just don't go with the voice of reason ****

Soon as saw the selection, I thought it was a hold them for 60mins then bring onarriott and Waghorn. Worked for 44mins. Should have brought them on at half time imo. Mount, Wilson and Lawrence needed to do.more but Villa too strong for us. So speed was the key from the big boot upfield. Marriott is very good and could have started instead of Bennett. Who knows what would have happened. Let Roos go and get a proven goalkeeper in. Retain Johnson. Sign promising talent and five good loans on decent money. Blood some of our u23s and u18s. Need a fast start to season or will be looking at top 6 again after 6 games

50 minutes ago, DRBee said:

What an offensive post - even if you disagree with team selection why the comment on the Chelsea job - what has Frank actually done wrong?  Pathetic, mardy supporter.

Mardy?? I'm hurting because we've lost a playoff final. We are getting the core of our team ripped out next year, and with how we played against Leeds, I just thought we could have gone out there on the front foot with nothing to loose. I'm sorry but that is how I viewed the game..... If you think we played out of our skin then that's fine ?

3 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Where was this post after the Leeds game ?

did alright there didn’t he ? Any complaints then ???

no, none 

hindsight is ducking wonderful isn’t it 

34 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Bogle had a great chance to square one as well and instead chose to shoot near post. (it should have been a corner to be fair).

It's ultimately player decisions that have cost Frank the game, not his selection or line up. It was clear he had a plan to bring Marriott and Waghorn on to win the game.

He can't legislate for Kelle's lack of conviction or for Jayden losing his man at the far post.

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

Bogle had a great chance to square one as well and instead chose to shoot near post. (it should have been a corner to be fair).

It's ultimately player decisions that have cost Frank the game, not his selection or line up. It was clear he had a plan to bring Marriott and Waghorn on to win the game.

He can't legislate for Kelle's lack of conviction or for Jayden losing his man at the far post.

Genuinely ... when was the last time Lawrence wasn’t poor 

he’s the proverbial flatters to deceive 

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

That's true, but we are generally poor at dealing with balls coming into the box.

That Tyrone Mears would have been a good signing, but we couldn't afford him and Villa could.....

Yep, he did. Same as the first leg vs Leeds, we tried to sit back, and as soon as we started really trying to go out and win the game, and not just coast through, we looked miles better. The introduction of Waggy and Marriott gave us a huge amount of extra impetus. Starting with Huddlestone and Johnson was negative.

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Where was this post after the Leeds game ?

did alright there didn’t he ? Any complaints then ???

no, none 

hindsight is ducking wonderful isn’t it 

Lampard got it spot on against Leeds! The change to a diamond completely baffled the Leeds defence. Today was a different day  afraid. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yep, he did. Same as the first leg vs Leeds, we tried to sit back, and as soon as we started really trying to go out and win the game, and not just coast through, we looked miles better. The introduction of Waggy and Marriott gave us a huge amount of extra impetus. Starting with Huddlestone and Johnson was negative.

Slow to learn?

Archived